PDA

View Full Version : Change bench style between raw and shirted workouts????

David Lewis
04-26-2010, 09:18 AM
Does anyone change the way they bench between their raw workout days and their shirted workout days? I have had a tendency to bench in the body building style when I am lifting raw. My elbows are out and the bar moves in a straight path off the chest. When I bench in the shirt I have a groove that takes me quite low and forces my elbows to tuck.

I have tried benching raw in the shirted style, but do not have anywhere the strength. I feel very uncomfortable and weak when I get into an arch when not in the shirt. Is this normal or should I really concentrate on bringing the bar low when I am raw lifting even if my numbers go way down?

Travis Bell
04-26-2010, 09:34 AM
I bench raw with a slight tuck, good solid arch, but I don't bring the bar down quite so low.

If you bring it too low when benching raw it'll hurt your shoulders. I stick to around the upper abdomen area

vdizenzo
04-26-2010, 10:42 AM
I keep my raw and equipped form the same. I find both my raw and equipped have improved as a result. However, most of the guys I train with say don't do what Vinny does.

ScottYard
04-26-2010, 11:01 AM
I did what Vinny does,

I kept them the same as equipped benching was my main goal so I benched raw with my shirted stroke.

I find now that Im raw all the time I still bench with my shirted stroke as it took years to perfect that stroke.

IronDiggy
04-26-2010, 01:03 PM
I generally bench with a slight tuck raw and really tuck when I am in a shirt.
Close grip is almost always elbows out though.

AJ Roberts
04-26-2010, 02:14 PM
I tend to bench raw with closer grip and keep the bar higher so that my arms do most of the work as i find this carries over best for me.

JK1
04-26-2010, 04:28 PM
I tend to bench raw with closer grip and keep the bar higher so that my arms do most of the work as i find this carries over best for me.

I was taught how to bench wrong and I tried to bench wrong for years. A couple of years ago, I finally learned how to bench. Now, there isn't much difference between my RAW and shirted bench strokes if any at all. I might be just a little bit flatter in a closed back shirt because the closed back shirt seems to pull me down just a bit.

robchris
04-26-2010, 08:23 PM

Agreed... Pinkie on the rings while raw, works the tri's a lot more to assist w/ the lock-out in the shirt. Index finger on rings while shirted.

Set-up and arch are basically the same.