PDA

View Full Version : Wrist Stength

Andre518
04-27-2010, 01:36 PM
Ok long story short: When I use to squat I would hold the bar very high up causing me to lean forward when coming up and out of the hole. After training my squat this way ever since I started squatting I decided after hurting my back to lower the bar some on my back and it is helping a lot. At first it was a lot on my shoulder and wrist with heavier weights. Now that my strength and form is getting better Im seeing a big difference in leg size and its getting easier coming up. My problem is my wrist do not see to be adjusting as quick. anything over 260-or so I usually have to use wrist wraps because the bar kills my wrist. I was wondering what I can do to help strengthen them because Im in the 100% RAW fed and if i go to do a meet I can not use the wraps. Thanks for any help you guys have for me.

Liftersize
04-27-2010, 02:24 PM
are you sure its strength and not flexibility? I would personally focus on stretching of shoulders, bicep, and wrist.

MarcusWild
04-27-2010, 03:04 PM
I agree on flexibility. You shouldn't be supporting the bar with your wrists. I tuck my pinky under the bar. It let's my wrists be at a more natural angle and helps. Also, never wrap your thumbs around the bar. That'll cause all sorts of problems.

robchris
04-27-2010, 10:15 PM
Have you tried widening your grip some? I feel this definitely takes some stress off my wrist when I squat.

As far as wrist strength, I use the ole' stand-bys... Hammer curls, wrist & reverse curls. Grippers are a great addition too (CoC grippers)

MGMelgar
04-28-2010, 12:08 AM
I agree on flexibility. You shouldn't be supporting the bar with your wrists. I tuck my pinky under the bar. It let's my wrists be at a more natural angle and helps. Also, never wrap your thumbs around the bar. That'll cause all sorts of problems.

What kinds of problems could wrapping your thumb around the bar cause? If not around the bar, where should the thumb go?

vdizenzo
04-28-2010, 05:55 AM
Quick answer, leave 100% raw. I put my wrist wraps on when I bench 225. Some things just aren't worth fighting in my book.

IronDiggy
04-28-2010, 09:05 AM
Quick answer, leave 100% raw. I put my wrist wraps on when I bench 225. Some things just aren't worth fighting in my book.

Agreed. Anything over 135 on my back gets wrist wraps as I have the same issue with my wrists bending back.

MarcusWild
04-28-2010, 11:45 AM
What kinds of problems could wrapping your thumb around the bar cause? If not around the bar, where should the thumb go?

It can cause forearm issues and elbow tendonitis. Just put it behind the bar like the rest of your fingers.