PDA

View Full Version : deadlifting technique

thewicked
04-27-2010, 07:00 PM
when they say pull back..do you really lean back? when I try to do this and get my shoulders behind the bar i feel like i'm going to fall back on my ass..my toes come up and everything. Is this awkwardness something I will become more and more comfortable with? I've heard this said time and time again but working on it seems odd... do you really try to pull BACK instead of up?

Sean S
04-27-2010, 07:59 PM
Sounds like you are over exaggerating the idea of pulling back. The idea is to pull back to help keep the bar from drifting out in front of you on the way up.
Do an internet search for Rippetoe's analysis of the deadlift and it will explain exactly how to set-up for a DL.

NickAus
04-27-2010, 08:29 PM
Yep you pull back, weight on your heels.

robchris
04-27-2010, 10:07 PM
Yes... almost like a counter-balance if you will. Its like useing your own BW to assist the pull.

Search WBB forum for the Dave Tate article about the DL... He explains the pulling back of the bar very well!

JK1
04-27-2010, 11:50 PM
This is a HUGE problem I have with my deadlifts.

Rippetoes articles that I've read really focus on a "conventional" stance. Has he written anything on pulling sumo?

Do you guys think there is a difference with respect to this aspect of the lift?

hoot
04-28-2010, 05:32 PM
I have this one bookmarked:

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_dead_zone

robchris
04-28-2010, 06:24 PM
Hoot,
Thanks for posting the article bro...

--wicked , check out #5 reference to pulling the bar back!

Brian Hopper
04-28-2010, 07:54 PM
Thats a really good article by Dave Tate!!!!

Hazerboy
04-28-2010, 08:01 PM
when they say pull back..do you really lean back? when I try to do this and get my shoulders behind the bar i feel like i'm going to fall back on my ass..my toes come up and everything.

You don't want your shoulders behind the bar, in fact you want them over/in front of the bar. Your arms attach to your shoulder blades, your shoulder blades attach to your spine, and as a whole they hold the weight. If your shoulders/shoulder blades are behind the bar, you're at a terrible leverage disadvantage-- the "link" that holds onto the weight, your shoulder blades, needs to be directly over the bar. This may cause your shoulders to be either directly over the bar or in front of it.

http://www.fitnessgurusam.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/butt-picture1-deadlift-skeleton-view.png

Effectively this is what allows you to pull the bar in the straight line.

So yeah, you do want to "pull back," but remember that its just a cue.

H_M
04-28-2010, 08:03 PM
when i pull sumo with a wide stance, i pull back and take the slack out of the bar as a counter balance to get my hips low and overcome the resistance of the gear.