PDA

View Full Version : Video of my squat form

bigmoney
04-27-2010, 07:41 PM
Hey guys,

I could use some advice from some of the squat technicians on WBB.
You can see videos here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2dB8u7yfg8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdVTzAmOc8Q

My main concern is with my hips, given I have some minor back pain that keeps me from training 100%. It is apparent to me that I favor my left side when squatting and that I can't open up my right hip. Let me mention that my hip mobility and overall flexibility is poor. I am working daily on this, but if there is anything else you see, please do mention it.
Also, in nearly all my sets, my left foot rotated outwards compared to my right. This could be a reason my hips look off when I squat. Not sure why I do this on every set, as you can see me fumbling around with my foot position when I set up.

I sent my videos into the Elitefts Q&A and got a response saying that I may have a condition called "Genu Recurvatum". I don't know much about this condition, but I will research it.

I plan on going back to box squats all the time. I seem to be better at them, but they help me dial in my form. Once I can get strong and master technique on the box, I will test out my free squat.

Thanks for the help.

AJ Roberts
04-27-2010, 09:33 PM
Back when I was lifting with Brent one of our training partners Leon had a similar problem. What worked for hip was doing a ton of flexibility and mobility work, along with foam roll and deep tissue massage. Squatting more only made the problem worse no matter how hard he tried to be even. So my advice is fix the problem then get back under the bar.

Ryan Celli
04-27-2010, 09:50 PM
I think your squat form looks great. You need to work on getting just a bit deeper, but the form is good. You could stand to keep your shin more perpendicular to the floor. I like a short rest pause on the box when I do mine.

Your hips are out of alignment. I would recommend going to a good chiropractor, and working on hip flexibility though exercise and stretching. The zerchers should help with hip mobility.

Good luck. Ryan

bigmoney
04-27-2010, 09:55 PM
AJ, Ryan- I appreciate the feedback. Looks like I'm on the right track in regards to mobility work and taking some time off from heavy squats. Thanks again!