PDA

View Full Version : Vegetables Post Workout

mike mcgee
04-28-2010, 04:28 PM
I am getting ready to buy a Vita-Mix blender and was curious if there was any advantage/ benefit to adding vegetables to post workout shakes. On occasion I'll throw some spinach or celery into my current PWO shake, but with the Vita-Mix, the option are limitless. BTW, celery and peanut butter with some vanilla nitrean is really good.

Thanks
mike

Joe Black
04-29-2010, 05:04 AM
Never tried it. Certainly won;t hurt but I cannot think of a good reason for specifically doing it other than vegetables are good for you ;)

mike mcgee
04-29-2010, 11:24 AM
Never tried it. Certainly won;t hurt but I cannot think of a good reason for specifically doing it other than vegetables are good for you ;)

Dan, I appreciate it. I was talking to someone else who started getting into micro and macronutrients and that fiber dense foods/ vegetables could slow down the digestion of the proteins. It was too technical for me so I figured I would ask around and see if anyone had an opinion.

Mike

Behemoth
04-29-2010, 06:17 PM
Dan, I appreciate it. I was talking to someone else who started getting into micro and macronutrients and that fiber dense foods/ vegetables could slow down the digestion of the proteins. It was too technical for me so I figured I would ask around and see if anyone had an opinion.

Mike

Was going to say this after reading the original post. This is the only meal I would avoid veggies. Fiber post workout is not optimal.

Ryan Zielonka
04-29-2010, 06:38 PM
Was going to say this after reading the original post. This is the only meal I would avoid veggies. Fiber post workout is not optimal.
Unless you are an endurance athlete performing multiple training sessions in one day, and thus need maximal glycogen replenishment within a short time frame (six hours or less), there is no reason to avoid fiber in the post workout meal and, thus, vegetables.

Innumerable studies have shown that, when it comes to workout nutrition, the faster is better mantra may work to your disadvantage. Why sacrifice what could be your most nutritious meal of the day for suboptimal nutrition? It makes no sense.

Unless you plan on training that same day, eat your veggies. Remember, maximal protein synthesis doesn't occur until 24 hours after the training session, meaning that the workout nutrition window is much longer than most people believe it be, and that regardless of what you consume, glycogen will be fully replenished within 24 hours regardless of your nutritive state.

I hope that helps. If you need studies in support let me know. But yeah, don't skip your veggies.

Behemoth
04-29-2010, 07:31 PM
Unless you are an endurance athlete performing multiple training sessions in one day, and thus need maximal glycogen replenishment within a short time frame (six hours or less), there is no reason to avoid fiber in the post workout meal and, thus, vegetables.

Compelling advice, what about the athlete in a depleted state though. I personally have a huge workload in and out of the gym. While my carb intake is, on average 200g/day, I still prefer every ounce of glycogen replenishment as my stores are inevitably consistently low. I'm not argueing against your information, simply spinning off to say that no... endurance athletes are few and far between the only people who would want to avoid fiber post workout.

Unless you plan on training that same day, eat your veggies.
post workout would be the same day. Unless you're speaking with regard to a second training session that day.

Innumerable studies have shown that, when it comes to workout nutrition, the faster is better mantra may work to your disadvantage.
I don't think that anybody is going to argue this. And as bodybuilders our primary objectives of the pwo shake is to replenish glycogen and create an insulin resonse to aide in protein absorbtion, not get our vitamins and fiber in for the day. Leave that to other meals.

Remember, maximal protein synthesis doesn't occur until 24 hours after the training session, meaning that the workout nutrition window is much longer than most people believe it be, and that regardless of what you consume, glycogen will be fully replenished within 24 hours regardless of your nutritive state.
? No. The average post workout consumption 50-100g of carbs post workout regardless or what kind, or what they're eaten with in no way shape or form is going to replenish anybody "fully" unless they're already in a near topped of state. I think you mean that whatever carbs you do consume will be fully utilized for their role in glycogen replenishment within 24 hours regardless of what they're consumed with. In which case I will not argue against as that I don't personally know.

mike mcgee
04-30-2010, 08:33 AM
I appreciate the responses and the great information. I guess I am basically trying to get the most out of my Vita-mix first and diet second. I figured because of the capability of the vita-mix, and that I am making a shake anyway, why not take advantage of the time and throw in some carrots or spinach. I may leave my PWO shake alone (Nitrean, Glyco-Maize, glutamine), and mix up another veggie shake with my post workout meal.