PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift video

vdizenzo
04-28-2010, 07:18 PM
I figured I always post up bench vids and it was time to change it up. Plus, I have not done a vid in a while. It's only a trap bar dl and it's not anything to write home about, but there's a bit of a story behind it..

Alright, so I was on the phone with Joey Smith the other night and he reminded me about a 800 lb trap bar dl I did at strongman comp. It was a bunch of years ago and I was 40 lbs heavier at the time. It got me thinking and believe me, that's never a good thing.

So today I got off the treadmill and got a wild hair about doing some singles on the dl instead of my 5/3/1. I call it my 5/3/1 because I only do the prescribed reps and never go for more like Jim tells you to. Also, I based all my numbers off of only around 470 and pretty much never change my numbers. That's how I squat also. I don't really care about what I can squat or deadlift, however, I have zero interest in training my legs and core other than squatting or deadlifting. Oh yeah, I only use the upper handles on the trap bar because I am a bench only bitch.

Anyway, after cardio, on a low carb day, using the lower handles I figured let's have some fun. All was fun until 585. I grabbed the bar a little forward, so I had to re-grip. After I put it down, I felt my right bicep get a nice twinge. My right bicep has been partially torn. Now I figured there's room on the bar so I have to take 675. My brain said the last time you deadlifted 675 you tore your left bicep off (although that was a conventional dl on a regular bar). Being close to 41 I am struggling with knowing if I am on the downhill slide. I do know one thing, I don't like my body or mind trying to take over the whole show. So, I figured if I tear my bicep off it would be my body giving me an answer. I grabbed the bar and started the lift. My whole body thought it was a bad idea, but my head said to finish the lift. Slowly I gutted it out. When I put the bar down you can quickly see my back seize up. I totally pulled my right pec, bicep, and glute also. I would do it again in a second. I'm just glad the trap bar did not hold any more weight.

nsT4JFpOzNQ

ehopkins932
04-28-2010, 07:22 PM
Strong stuff. Heal up soon!

ThomasG
04-28-2010, 07:26 PM
Stong pullin vinnie, get better soon!!

robchris
04-28-2010, 07:36 PM
Strong stuff bro...!

That's the way to gut it out!

Battle scars make you stronger!!!
RC

Brian Hopper
04-28-2010, 08:52 PM
Damn bro that sucks, I hope you have a fast recovery!!!!!

Brian C
04-28-2010, 09:17 PM
That sucks when your just having some fun. Strong as hell bro. Heal up quick.

vdizenzo
04-28-2010, 09:28 PM
Thanks guys. I guess I over exaggerated. Most of all the initial pains went away. I took a nice long contrast shower afterwards. My back and pec are still a tiny bit tweeked, but it will be fine. It has to be, I have reps in the shirt on Friday. I played today, it's time for work on Friday.

Lones Green
04-29-2010, 07:57 AM
Good job Vincent. Very good deadlift considering you don't do it all that often

Maybe thats what I need for my deadlift, to be a bench only guy. Your deadlift as well as Travis's are both very strong LOL

Oh and I think I saw abs

Travis Bell
04-29-2010, 08:46 AM
LOL! Vin, sometimes you do something just because you can

Honestly, that's the majority of the reason I pull when i do. Just because I can.

Although I'd argue my pull is quite unimpressive considering the gym I'm out of lol.

Glad you aren't too beat up though!

Beverly McD.
04-29-2010, 08:52 AM
Mike (husband and extremely bright guy) told me recently "My brain keeps writing checks that my body can't cash" LOL

Good strong pulls Vinnie! Glad the injuries seem to be minor.

ScottYard
04-29-2010, 11:02 AM
Nothing ever comes good from deadlifting lol

Brian Hopper
04-29-2010, 12:36 PM
Nothing ever comes good from deadlifting lol

haha, well put!!!!!