PDA

View Full Version : I love being a skinny bastard

MadChef
05-01-2010, 12:21 PM
Why you ask? Because my goal is not to bulk, or to gain mass. Only strength, power and speed. I am currently training for mixed martial arts with a focus on muay thai and jiujitsu. I have been boxing for years, and now I am finally making the transition. I feel (and have been told) that my body type is much more suited for muay thai and jiujitsu as I have extremely long arms and legs for my 165 weight class (6'2", 175) though I am extremely strong and wirey. So, there's a little background on me. I am also a culinary student, I am certified in nutrition, I work as a nutritional consultant and cook at the Westin Hotel in downtown Detroit.

I'm in the gym about three days a week hitting weights, the other three days in my week are spent outside at the park, running circuits involving stairs, doing HIT sprints, pushups and various plyometrics. I also do some strongman type stuff for power such as truck pulling, fireman carries and pressing heavy implements (anything from heavy blocks of concrete to logs).

This journal will focus mostly on my routine in the gym, but I will include my other training as a side note.
I have martial arts classes and sparring 3 days a week. A lot of people tell me I should cut back and make some time for myself, but I love everything I do in life and consider it all "for myself".

In the gym I focus on powerlifting, olympic lifting, and bodyweight stuff; no bodybuilding (if it won't carry over to fighting, I don't waste my time doing it).

My numbers right now are 265 on squat, 200 on bench, and 385 on deadlift. I like my strength where its at, but I would someday like to bench 225, and squat 315. Thank you all for any input you might have to offer and God speed!

Liftersize
05-01-2010, 06:49 PM
cool you have a similar build to me, it will be interesting to see how you progress. I also dont want to gain much weight Im only going to go up to 190 but then cut back to 180 and stay there.

fixationdarknes
05-01-2010, 08:43 PM
My advice is to focus a lot on tricep kickbacks.

Coke
05-02-2010, 10:54 AM

He's joking, of course, lol.

You are a tremendously dynamic and active guy, good luck with it all man.

MadChef
05-04-2010, 10:08 AM
So I took this past weekend off from everything (work, training, everything). Got a massage yesterday, I was pretty tight and had LOTS of knots in my upper back. I feel great today, and I'm about to go lift before work at 2. It's been a while since I've felt this good, and I'm not sure what I'm going to do because I, honestly, could do anything (bench, deadlift, squat).... Since I feel so good, I think I'll deadlift and do some c&j's. I only have an hour though so I gotta get to it, ain't nothing to it but to do it! (Gotta get strong so I can throw around those bums that converge on me as soon as I leave the parking structure to go to work, haha)

fixationdarknes
05-04-2010, 05:40 PM
I love massages. I need some of those more often. Glad you got to take some time off. I'll be real interested in keeping up with your lifting numbers. I probably have never come across anyone with as close numbers as you haha. You've got 10 pounds on my squat, 5 pounds on my bench, and our deadlifts are equal. To be fair though I do go a bit below parallel with the squats, although maybe you do too :clown:

Anyway, good luck with everything. Hit it hard!

MadChef
05-04-2010, 10:21 PM
Thanks all for the luck and wishes! I try my hardest to do it all, but of course I get in my lulls just like everyone else; I'm only human. Keeping this journal I think is going to help me a lot.

Fixationdarkness, our numbers are crazy close and to me, a squats not a squat unless I bottom out. :) I do my squats high-bar olympic style.... I hate low bar squats for some reason.

Follow for today's lift... Cleans and jerks went well, started at 95 lbs x 8 reps (just press, no leg drive just to warm up), then 135 x 4, then 165 x 1 for three sets, then I hit 185 for a new PR! (failed on 200 though). Finished with a few sets of deadlift (225 x 10), and shoulder presses behind the head with light weight. Tomorrow, I'm working later in the day so my workout will be some park PT with the man himself (my buddy who's going special forces in June) to get my butt kicked royally on some circuits. I'll let y'all know how that goes.

fixationdarknes
05-04-2010, 10:29 PM
Awesome. Workout sounds good, congrats on the PR. Circuits suck (I mean rock). No wait really I mean they suck, lol.

fixationdarknes
05-10-2010, 01:28 AM
Hey man, where are the workout logs?! You start this journal then leave us hanging? :indian:

Mark!
05-12-2010, 12:57 AM

x2.
All dicking aside, you're crazily active, that's awesome. Strongman stuff has really helped my conditioning and overall strength. From the looks of it, with your activity level, you shouldn't have any problems getting your bench and squats where you want them. I wish you the best and will check in to see how things are coming along from time to time.

See buddy? I'm not such a condescending ******* all the time.