PDA

View Full Version : just read 5/3/1

gmen5681
05-01-2010, 06:20 PM
i got the 5/3/1 (http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=370&pid=2976) book yesterday at elite's website. and then took it to staples to have it printed out and binded for easier reading (cant read books/long reads on computer) for 15 bucks, which was well worth it. the book was awesome and very informative for anyone thinking about getting it. its a real easy read too. its 97 pages but only about 45 pages of reading the rest is charts. im gonna start this program in 2 weeks. deload next week and then test for 5rep maxes, very excited to start it. just really wanted to say if you are thinking about reading it, do it.

Brian Hopper
05-01-2010, 08:29 PM
I have the book myself and it does look like a simple program to follow and read. I still haven't had a chance to try it yet. Everytime I start something happens to me. But hopefully I will be able to give it a shot.

ehopkins932
05-02-2010, 12:18 PM
Its an awesome program; Im on my 6th cycle and my squat has gone up over 70lbs. And test for your 1RM maxes, not 5RM. Use 90% of THOSE for training maxes

gmen5681
05-03-2010, 05:42 PM
i got some questions about the accessory work and i want to make sure that i have it set up right. who here is doing 5/3/1 and getting good results? and could i PM you my schedule with accessory movements and tell me what you think? i dont want to just write it on here because it seems to be a touchy subject with putting that information out there for people that havent bought the book.

jbrin0tk
05-03-2010, 07:01 PM
You could PM me if you like, gmen5681. I used the program for about 6 months or so and had a lot of success. One thing I will say is don't over-think the accessory work. Your progress will be dictated more by how you perform with the main movements than the accessory work.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions, though. Good luck!

gmen5681
05-03-2010, 07:06 PM
You could PM me if you like, gmen5681. I used the program for about 6 months or so and had a lot of success. One thing I will say is don't over-think the accessory work. Your progress will be dictated more by how you perform with the main movements than the accessory work.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions, though. Good luck!

thanks jbrin.. i think ill just go with the "boring but big" work. if i do come up with questions i will keep you in mind and throw you a PM. thanks.

joey54
05-03-2010, 07:59 PM
You have the book and have read it. Experiment and find your "Kroc Row". As mentioned, don't overthink this, that is the whole point of this.

Brian Hopper
05-03-2010, 09:12 PM
You have the book and have read it. Experiment and find your "Kroc Row". As mentioned, don't overthink this, that is the whole point of this.

I agree, it seems you are putting way to much thought into the program.

SMK41
06-02-2010, 10:51 AM
I didn't want to start a new thread for this. Does anyone do paused reps on 5/3/1 for the final set for the main lift? Yesterday I was doing DL and it was my 5+ reps set. I got to 6 reps and was starting to feel pretty exhausted and a little short of breath but i felt like I could keep going. So I paused and took a couple deep breaths, did a rep, paused and took a few more breaths, did a rep, ... , until i got to 10 reps then stopped. Honestly I might even have been able to get 1-3 more reps if I had kept this up. I don't ever do touch and go deadlifts, so i always completely deload the weight at the bottom of the lift anyway. I just usually start the next rep immediately after deloading. I always like to calculate my Estimated 1RM when I get home based on my last set to see how it compared to previous workouts and I was just debating how to count it. Technically I got 10 reps, but it didnt feel as solid as when I do a set of 10 reps without doing any paused reps.

Tim K
06-07-2010, 01:21 PM
It doesn't really matter. Use the formula and figure out your theoretical one rep max both ways - counting all your reps and then counting only the reps before you paused. Next time you do paused reps, you'll have something to compare.

Remember, the formula is only good for a theoretical one rep max. The fewer reps in the formula, the more accurate it is likely to be.

joey54
06-07-2010, 08:15 PM
Thats a good statement. You are also probably going to be closer to your true 1 rep max on your 5-3-1 week than your 3x5 week.