PDA

View Full Version : Metabolism change?

Phenom
05-03-2010, 08:30 PM
I'm a little stumped here. For the past 6-8 weeks, I've all of a sudden been gaining weight much faster than normal. I'm 6'1, 214-216 lbs depending on the day, and for a long time now I've been on a slow, consistent bulk. I was around 204lbs 6-8 weeks ago, and since then have just been gaining weight like crazy, at least comparatively to my normal rate. The thing is I haven't changed much of anything about my diet. Only thing I've really changed is the amount of water I drink. I used to only get about 8-12 cups of water a day, now I make it a point to get at least a gallon, and end up usually around 16-20 cups per day. Could the boost in hydration have something to do with making better use of the calories I take in?

I'm gaining a bit of fat on my stomach and obliques, I'd say my bf is around 13-14%. I would be extremely upset with whats going on but I've been making really good strength gains during this burst of weight gain.

Any ideas? Like I said, I haven't changed my diet, and if anything I'm probably eating slightly less than I used to. Metabolism slowing down? Or just the cyclical nature of bulking and I should just ride it out?

Allen Cress
05-04-2010, 10:57 AM
This can happen. It is impossible to predict and say you are only going to gain X amount of weight every week or every month, your body just doesn't work that way. The same goes with dieting to lose fat. Just because something doesn't change ever week people are too quick to want to change things. You have to give the diet time and after 3-4 weeks reasses and read your bio-feedback and go from there.

Anytime I bulk or diet down I will plateau then all of a sudden gain or loose 2-5 lbs in a week. Justy give it time and listen to your body.

tnathletics2b
05-04-2010, 11:05 AM
What you describe is the way I always gain weight. I will eat, eat, eat for 4 or 5 weeks and see nothing, then 2 weeks after that I look and have gained 7 or 8 pounds. went from 190 to 198, then 198 to 205, then 205 to my current 212-215 in big jumps.