PDA

View Full Version : Deadlifting question

fixationdarknes
05-03-2010, 10:49 PM
Wanted to ask you Deadlift guys how you train for them. Lately I've been having one heavy (1RM) week, followed by a deload/dynamic day with around 40% of my 1RM, then I'll have a day of working with triples around 80-85% of my 1RM, then then next week for a 1RM again. Is that too much heavy loading? Should I have another week or two where I back off and do some more rep work? I just always find that when I set my mind on it I can usually score a 1RM PR, and for some reason I dislike training more than even 3 rep sets for Deads. The heavy stuff exhilarates me more and I've never been too fond of the dragged out sets. Am I missing out on anything by staying in this low rep range so often though? My goal is really to just pull as much weight as possible.

Any input would be nice.

Liftersize
05-03-2010, 11:33 PM
a guy at my gym who can do 700 at 220 gave me my new routine. 1 set of 3-5 reps off the floor(when you can do 5 add weight next week). Take your 1 rm off the floor, place on 4 inch blocks and proceed to triple it. Then go 30 or so lbs. over your 1 rm and single it off the blocks or double it if you can. Then one set of deficits for 3-5 reps.

AJ Roberts
05-04-2010, 07:25 AM
We rotate a variation every 3 weeks on Max Effort day and then on Fridays, after box squats, have been doing racks pulls against bands changing up the sets and reps and band tension every week.

T o m m Y
05-04-2010, 08:47 AM
Just do 5/3/1 for your deadlift man,its has done wonders for mine..

Brian Hopper
05-04-2010, 09:33 AM
After my last meet, I started doing one week pulling sumo then followed by 6" block pulls, the next week doing some SLDL off a 4-5" block, and the third week pulling off a 4" block. Then, this is where I F***ed my hand up. I might change things up a little.

ScottYard
05-04-2010, 11:53 AM
I like to do speed work in between my heavy stuff every other week. I have found that pyramiding my weight off blocks over a couple weeks allows me to get plenty of work in but not kill me come meet time. Be sure to do abs 4 times a week minimal and your pull will 100% increase just based off that.

Suprman1020
05-04-2010, 12:01 PM
I like to do speed work in between my heavy stuff every other week. I have found that pyramiding my weight off blocks over a couple weeks allows me to get plenty of work in but not kill me come meet time. Be sure to do abs 4 times a week minimal and your pull will 100% increase just based off that.

I found that the 5/3/1 rep scheme for deadlifts is decent but TOO much volume especially when going for max reps. I found that it pounded my back too much.

Brian Hopper
05-04-2010, 01:07 PM
Abs is one thing I have been lacking on, and that's probabaly a main reason why my deadlift hasn't increased that much.

ScottYard
05-04-2010, 01:08 PM
I found that the 5/3/1 rep scheme for deadlifts is decent but TOO much volume especially when going for max reps. I found that it pounded my back too much.

I havent tried 531 for the deadlift for that very reason. Im afraid it will kill me lol.

ScottYard
05-04-2010, 01:09 PM
Abs is one thing I have been lacking on, and that's probabaly a main reason why my deadlift hasn't increased that much.

I used to hit my abs once a week and think i was getting enough work in. Once I started doing them 4 times per week my pull jumped 25 lbs in 6 months.

Brian Hopper
05-04-2010, 01:13 PM
I used to hit my abs once a week and think i was getting enough work in. Once I started doing them 4 times per week my pull jumped 25 lbs in 6 months.

I train 4x a week, so once I start back training i'm going to make sure I end with some sort of ab work.

What was you ab exercise of choice???

MarcusWild
05-04-2010, 02:24 PM
On DE day, I do speed pulls vs bands every other week. If I don't, then I start to lose speed off the floor. The non-speed weeks I do a rack pull vs bands.

On ME day, I do a max dead variation every 3-4 weeks. It's rarely a competition style deadlift. I tend to squat more often for ME, because my squat needs more work. On the weeks I squat, I'll do a DL variation or GM after for sets of 3-5.

fixationdarknes
05-04-2010, 03:53 PM
Thanks for all the replies everyone. One thing I'm curious about is my repping strength with Deadlifts vs my 1RM strength. I pulled 385 a couple of weeks ago, and just yesterday I was working with 315 and 335, which is about 82% and 87% of my 1RM, respectively. I basically only managed sets of 3 reps at that weight, whereas I would think I should be able to manage at least 5-6 reps, wouldn't you think?

MarcusWild
05-04-2010, 05:16 PM
Thanks for all the replies everyone. One thing I'm curious about is my repping strength with Deadlifts vs my 1RM strength. I pulled 385 a couple of weeks ago, and just yesterday I was working with 315 and 335, which is about 82% and 87% of my 1RM, respectively. I basically only managed sets of 3 reps at that weight, whereas I would think I should be able to manage at least 5-6 reps, wouldn't you think?

I wouldn't worry about trying to correlate reps to a 1RM with deadlift. They are very different animals. Reps are a great way to build your strength in the deadlift, but the only way to know how much you can max deadlift is to do it.

ScottYard
05-04-2010, 05:30 PM
I train 4x a week, so once I start back training i'm going to make sure I end with some sort of ab work.

What was you ab exercise of choice???

Standing Cable abs, Staright leg sit ups with weight and standard sit ups with weight.

Brian Hopper
05-04-2010, 08:06 PM
Standing Cable abs, Staright leg sit ups with weight and standard sit ups with weight.

Thanks alot Scott, I appreciate it!!!! Pretty much the only ab exercise I ever do are the standing cable abs.

fixationdarknes
05-05-2010, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone :)