PDA

View Full Version : Silk Almond Milk

SDS
05-04-2010, 10:26 AM
This stuff is awesome. Probably not useful for someone that's bulking, but it sure tastes good. It's got 8g of carbs, 2.5g of fat and 1g protein per 8 oz. Basically just a step up from water, but it sure tastes good. I haven't tried mixing it with any protein powder yet, but I probably will later today. I've only tried the original flavor, but I'm going to get some vanilla today to try.

mike mcgee
05-04-2010, 10:42 AM
I swear by Almond Milk. I cut diary out of my diet, except for the occasional yogurt or ice cream. I replaced milk with Almond Milk. I use it all the time in my protein shakes, on cereal, anywhere I would put milk. I usually buy Original or Vanilla, but the Chocolate is really good too. The chocolate is actually better for mixing with protein (depending on the flavor).

If you are trying to cut diary, but still want some of the advantages of a milk-type product, Almond Milk is the way to go.

Mercuryblade
05-04-2010, 10:46 AM
Almond milk is delicious.
I like it because it's not quite as heavy as dair or soy, it's a bit more refreshing.

KingWilder
05-04-2010, 12:06 PM
I swear by Almond Milk. I cut diary out of my diet, except for the occasional yogurt or ice cream. I replaced milk with Almond Milk. I use it all the time in my protein shakes, on cereal, anywhere I would put milk. I usually buy Original or Vanilla, but the Chocolate is really good too. The chocolate is actually better for mixing with protein (depending on the flavor).

If you are trying to cut diary, but still want some of the advantages of a milk-type product, Almond Milk is the way to go.

same here. Usually a little cheat with ice cream on the weekend, but other than that I've cut out dairy and feel great for doing it. Haven't seen chocolate Almond milk yet though...

SDS
05-04-2010, 03:29 PM
I went to stock up on it today and they were out ;-(

mike mcgee
05-06-2010, 05:51 AM
I went to stock up on it today and they were out ;-(

SDS, I am having the same problem at the grocery stores. They have been handing out mad coupons and I think everyone is trying it out. The good thing is if it is a hit, hopefully they'll increase the stockage. If you go to some places like Whole Foods or Trader Joe's, you can find it on the shelf non-refrigerated. That's how I used to buy it and I still do occasionally as back up. It usually has like 6-8 month shelf life and doesn't have to be refrigerated until opened.

Y2A
05-06-2010, 07:51 AM
I'm partial to rice milk, it's also very light and tasty. I wouldn't mind trying almond though. Rice milk with chocolate Nitrean and a drop of peppermint extract tastes like a candy cane.

ThomasG
05-06-2010, 08:02 AM
I use almond Milk/Breeze as well. It's only 7g carbs once you minus out the fiber. It has less carbs and it sweeter thank milk too. Good for cutting if you don't want to use water all the time for your protein shakes.

joey54
05-06-2010, 06:27 PM
We got it a few weeks ago. Not bad, but I like my Lactaid.

depotman
05-07-2010, 12:55 AM
Lately I've been using Coconut milk. Tastes pretty good even unsweetened (cutting out the sugar). I usually stay dairy free as well, but recently bought some Nitrean and have to say it's the best protein powder I've tried yet. To bad it's dairy based.

ThorzHammer
05-08-2010, 08:09 AM
Is the main reason most of you choose these alternatives because of lactose intolerance? I used to drink soy only, when I was vegan - not anymore, mostly vegetarian with milk, eggs, fish (if you can call that mostly vegetarian :) ) But I stopped because I thought it was making me slightly flabby, as it has estrogen in it apparently. Anyway, I drink goat milk now and love it, at 1%. It's easier on the stomach than cows milk apparently.

I do like rice milk and almond milk but get concerned about additives to keep it on the shelf for so long.

mike mcgee
05-10-2010, 12:56 PM
ThorzHammer, I just wanted to see if I could cut diary out of my diet and how I would feel in doing so. So far not too bad.