PDA

View Full Version : Floor-press vs Board-press?

robchris
05-04-2010, 06:12 PM
Hey guys, quick question... Which exercise do you prefer and why.

I'm a shirt bencher but my next meet is not until Sept. so I'm trying to bring up my Raw bench some.

I generally use brds. but I'm thinking of switching to the floor-press instead. Is it better as a ME exercise or accessory?

Thanks for your input.
RC

Kevin K
05-04-2010, 06:25 PM
Some of the more experienced guys will give better advice than I can but, I do both. Before I started doing board and floor presses, my raw bench was stuck. After doing those two, I was adding 5-10 lbs. every two weeks. I do floor presses for a couple of weeks then switch to board presses, I'll start with 1 boad then next time around I'll do a 2 board.

Travis Bell
05-04-2010, 07:04 PM
Use both. Floor press is great for helping your raw bench, especially if you use a close grip

Boards are awesome as well, but they just need to be used properly. You need to mimmick the same spot on the boards, that you'd touch on your chest.

Mix both with bands, and chains. We use them for both ME work as well as accessory work.

Brian Hopper
05-04-2010, 08:13 PM
I would use both like Travis said!!!!!!!

NickAus
05-04-2010, 08:26 PM
I loved quad mini floor press for max effort and straight weight with a closer grip for sets of 5-10.

I would do both like Travis said but if you have been hitting boards hard maybe the switch will really help.

Good luck bro!

SELK
05-04-2010, 10:05 PM
I like to use more floor pressing when I am far from a meet, as a meet approaches I move to more board presses to get really used to a contest bench set-up.

Mind you, my floor press is about a 1/4 inch away from my chest and can even touch if i get fat. Still the movement is different with no leg drive and triceps touching the ground.

heathj
05-04-2010, 10:43 PM
i just tried chains for the first time today and it was awesome.

question:

if using board/floor press as an accessory movement, how many reps would you perform each set? 2-3 x 6-12...?

rinse
05-05-2010, 04:10 AM
Use both. Floor press is great for helping your raw bench, especially if you use a close grip

Boards are awesome as well, but they just need to be used properly. You need to mimmick the same spot on the boards, that you'd touch on your chest.

Mix both with bands, and chains. We use them for both ME work as well as accessory work.

Why especially with a close grip?

rinse
05-05-2010, 04:12 AM

question:

if using board/floor press as an accessory movement, how many reps would you perform each set? 2-3 x 6-12...?

5-10 on ME day. 10-15 on DE day

ScottYard
05-05-2010, 06:51 AM
I loved board work for shirted benching. I would hammer almost every board every workout. They allow you to use your shirt stroke over and over again and it carries over big to a shirted bench strength wise.

I honestly never got much from floor presses. I guess since the bar touches my chest when I do them they were just a bench lying down for me LOL

Brian Hopper
05-05-2010, 10:18 AM

question:

I'm different everytime, but for the most part I will do 3-4 sets for 6-10 reps each.

MarcusWild
05-05-2010, 12:23 PM
I feel like floor press also takes my lats out of it, and forces me to use more shoulders. I agree with Travis on using both. I'll only board press on ME day, because it's a heavier movement. I'll floor press on either ME or DE day. If it's DE day, then I keep it to sets of 10.

robchris
05-05-2010, 05:45 PM
Thanks guys for all the input...

I just did 'em last night as a ME and I gotta tell ya' I'm pretty darn sore...

I agree w/ Marcus in that they involve less lats b/c my shoulders & tris are feelin the pain right now! I worked up to a heavy set of (3) then came down & did some reps w/ a close-grip.

Its a humbling experience as well, considering I'm pressing probably 10-15% less than I bench... Is that about the norm?
Oh well, I guess I need to work on my shd./ tri strength more!!!

RC

NickAus
05-05-2010, 08:56 PM
My floor press is 25lb less.