PDA

View Full Version : calorie intake level question

Ryan32
05-08-2010, 08:24 PM
so first off i will say that i'm not really knowldgable or experinced at teh whole weight lifting and body building

Any ways my current size and composition is

5' 8" 152 pounds about 15 % body fat

my 6 month goal is

165lbs and 10% body fat
now according to the article on WBB "to bulk or cut" i should just eat like that goal right?

so using this calculator http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
I got my intake as 2712cal
Am i on track and also what sort of macronutrient breakdown do i need.

My other concern is that the calulator i used dosent take into acoount body composition

Any response willl be apreciated

f=ma
05-09-2010, 01:10 PM
the problem with eating to your goal is that you are attempting to add muscle while decreasing body fat. eating to your goal is great when you want to diet or bulk. but when you are trying to recomp (the state of adding muscle while burning fat), you will not do well imo

if 152 @ 15% is accurate, you currently have approx 22.8lbs of fat.

your goal is 165 @10%. that would put you at 16.5lbs of fat

net LBM change = goal - current
= [152 - [15% * 152]] - [165 - [10% * 165]]
= 19.3lbs

so basically, you'd be recomping to a net change of 19.3lbs of LBM (muscle, tissue etc). normally this is not plausible

however... as a beginner, you could easily gain 20 lean lbs in 6 months with an immaculate diet and up yourself to 170-175lbs (egg whites, chicken, rice, lean beef, protein powder, no alcohol, no cheating, no fried foods, adequate calorie intake), which would peg you at 13-14% then diet down for 7-8 weeks and you could be sub 8-9% easy. if you are serious, you will do reading as to what you should be eating (stickies), start tracking your cals, monitor your weight movement as you determine your maintenance cals, then up it from there..... rather than asking to be spoon fed. its not really possible to get the answers you want because this is all unique to each person. once you read, come back w/ specific questions and you will more than likely be flooded with help. good luck

Ryan32
05-11-2010, 08:47 PM
alright thanks man

I did some more research and i came up with the following figures

3084 cal a day
385g carbs
231g protein
68.5 fat

what i'm trying to ask is off the top of your head does that seem like resonable ballpark numbers.

tom183
05-11-2010, 11:24 PM
^--I'd go for less carbs and more fat.

Joe Black
05-12-2010, 12:44 AM
Some good advice from f-ma.

Listen, don't get too caught up in the numbers. They are a guide and there are many individual and external factors that play a part so the most important thing is you make your best guess, stay consistent to the plan and adjust it accordingly if you're not gaining the weight you want. For example if you see your weight going up too quickly and you notice yourself putting on too much fat, you just bring the numbers down a little.

At 15% bodyfat, as f-ma says if you get a solid plan together you could most likely gain lean muscle an trim up a touch and then just do a 6-8 week cut when you feel ready to get down to 10%.

I'd start on 2,750 and use the percentages in the bulk/cut article. As f-man says, read up on the best food sources (read the nutrition articles on WBB (http://www.wannabebig.com/cat/diet-and-nutrition/)) and put together something that you feel you can do consistently and do it for 6 weeks. Review your weight after 6 weeks and you can adjust the numbers/activity after that.

By the way, you may want to consider HCT-12 (http://www.wannabebig.com/cat/hypertrophy-cluster-training-hct-12/), the overall training and diet plan would suit you down to the ground.

Joe Black
05-12-2010, 12:46 AM
Also check out this thread for some good info on food sources - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?46565-what-a-bodybuilder-eats...&p=773998&viewfull=1#post773998

f=ma
05-12-2010, 04:37 PM
alright thanks man

I did some more research and i came up with the following figures

3084 cal a day
385g carbs
231g protein
68.5 fat

what i'm trying to ask is off the top of your head does that seem like resonable ballpark numbers.

i like your fat macro.. 20-25% of total cals is good. i would start lower though... like 2500-2750 like daniel suggested. make sure you track your cals to determine your maintenence first. once you know your set point, you can increase safely from there to minimize fat gain. you will certainly gain fat on a bulk... but how much is determined by your excess cals and quality of foods.