PDA

View Full Version : AKMASS' MASSive super happy time feel good journal! (HCT-12)

AKMass
05-10-2010, 07:23 PM
Well, it's time for a break from the old 5-3-1....For how long? Only time will tell. I'll most likely return to 5-3-1 months down the road, but, who knows, I might fall in love with HCT-12. As long as I don't drop off in strength a lot, I don't mind staying on the program. Anyway, a little about me for those who never read my 5-3-1 journal (shame! :indian:):

Height: 5'10"
Weight: 173 lbs as of about ten seconds ago.
Bodyfat %: 10-15%, rough estimate.

PRs:
Bench- 235
Squat- 275
Deadlift- 375
OH Press- 140

Well then, let's get started:

DB bench-
25x1
35x6
45x6
50x6
60x6 (felt really awkward so I switched to BB bench)

BB bench-
135x6
155x6x2x2x2

Lat pulldowns-
60x6
80x6
100x6
120x6
130x6
140x6x2x2x2

OH Press-
Barx6
55x6
65x6
85x6
95x6x2x2x2

Assisted dips-
BW minus60x6
BW minus50x6
BWx6
BW+5x6
BW+10x6x2x2x2

So my lifting partner couldn't make it today... Started out on DB bench since I had no spotter, but since it's national bench day (Monday), I was quickly cramped by over-zealous benchers. So I switched up to BB bench. I was intentionally keeping the weight light, but damn if it wasn't hard. I'm definitely not used to volume, and I wear out quick. On 5-3-1 I think I hit 185x6, so I was expecting I"d be able to get around 170 or 175x6 for my final set, but even 155 was tough. We'll see how things go on Friday when I have a spotter I suppose.

The workout itself is pretty interesting. My average rest period between sets was about a minute and a half, whereas I'm used to 3 or 4 minutes between sets. Also, when hitting the sets of 2, I kept rest to under 30 seconds. It's tough, but it'll be interesting to see the results if I stick with it. I already noticed after I got back that I had a bigger pump than I've had in a loooong time. But then again, I haven't trained for hypertrophy in a looong time. Well that's it for now. I'm on the 3-day split, so I'll be back at it Wednesday.

Pure Water
05-10-2010, 07:29 PM
Nice man, I know what you mean some days weights just feel heavier than other days. Keep up the good work.

Off Road
05-10-2010, 07:46 PM
AK...really glad to have one of the 5/3/1 regulars here with me. Nice first session, you seem to be feeling it out well. Keep up the good work and let's see where this will take us.

ELmx479
05-10-2010, 08:13 PM
Wow, this program is really catching on. Me and you have pretty close stats so it will be interesting watching your progress. BUT, if you expect me to support this journal you best be ditching those Lat Pulldowns for some chins and pull ups my friend. :whip:

Off Road
05-10-2010, 11:39 PM
you best be ditching those Lat Pulldowns for some chins and pull ups my friend. :whip:
Hahaha...laying the smack down.

AK has the best thread title over here (so far).

Joe Black
05-11-2010, 01:26 AM
Hey AKMass, good luck with the HCtT-12 program!

I can certainly relate to having to take the weight down in order to up the rep ranges. I used to train with quite low reps, big rests inbetween sets and then when you switch to higher reps and less rest you realise just how bad your working capacity is! Stick with it though and your strength will go consistently up and you'll definately notice better body composition changes and I bet when you go back to a strength focused program you'll be in a good place!

Drew92
05-11-2010, 06:17 AM
We have pretty similar stats I'll be stopping by.

AKMass
05-11-2010, 07:09 AM
Nice man, I know what you mean some days weights just feel heavier than other days. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for stopping by Pure! Yeah it might just have been an off day, but I've been dropping weight like crazy recently too. I was 188 lbs not too long ago(~2 months), believe it or not. A chunk of that weight was muscle, unfortunately. :(

AK...really glad to have one of the 5/3/1 regulars here with me. Nice first session, you seem to be feeling it out well. Keep up the good work and let's see where this will take us.

Heck ya bro...And thanks. We need to convince Keith, Jed, and the others to come over to the dark side now. If not, we can just GiT sWoLe, and leave them behind! Lol (jk Jed and Keith if you're reading this). :clown:

Wow, this program is really catching on. Me and you have pretty close stats so it will be interesting watching your progress. BUT, if you expect me to support this journal you best be ditching those Lat Pulldowns for some chins and pull ups my friend. :whip:

Whatevs bro. I know the only reason you come to my journal is to check out the latest kickback and crunch variations so you can make sure to hit your beach muscles from every angle. :P

Hahaha...laying the smack down.

AK has the best thread title over here (so far).

And I will not be topped! (today [maybe])

Hey AKMass, good luck with the HCtT-12 program!

I can certainly relate to having to take the weight down in order to up the rep ranges. I used to train with quite low reps, big rests inbetween sets and then when you switch to higher reps and less rest you realise just how bad your working capacity is! Stick with it though and your strength will go consistently up and you'll definately notice better body composition changes and I bet when you go back to a strength focused program you'll be in a good place!

Thanks for stopping by Daniel! And yeah, capacity is definitely pretty low. Hopefully it'll pop up quick, but I'm not too worried. Once my diet is back in place, I have a feeling results will come pretty quickly.

We have pretty similar stats I'll be stopping by.

Cool, thanks for coming by! Are you going to start up a HCT-12 journal?? Or are you even doing HCT-12?

Well since there's no workout today, I figure I might as well post up my diet.

TeH Foods

Meal 1-
1 cup Post Shredded Wheat and Bran (YUM! :boring:) w/1 cup skim milk, Results (AtLargeNutrition)

Meal 2-
1 cup brown rice, 5 oz. chx breast +salad dressing

Meal 3-
1 cup brown rice, 5 oz. chx breast +salad dressing, yogurt

Meal 4-
2 slices Double Protein Bread, Muscle Milk Protein Bar, Apple

Meal 5-
2 cups skim milk, ~10-15 oz lean meat, veggies, some type of carb

Meal 6-
Nitrean (AtLargeNutrition) shake in water

Other supplements:
Multivitamin
Fish oil
Caffeine (~80 milligrams pre-workout)

Meal 5 will vary from week to week, with exception of the milk. On weekends I might even use that meal to go to a restaurant, or just eat out. Everything else is a constant though.

Calories: ~3,100
Protein: ~290 g (39%)
Carbs:~260 g (32%)
Fat:~ 100 g (29%)

Off Road
05-11-2010, 07:16 AM
Meal 6-
Nitrean (AtLargeNutrition) shake in water
Is that not the best mixing, best tasting powder ever? Nitrean is the only protein powder I can stomach when mixed with water. Yummy...

AKMass
05-11-2010, 07:43 AM
Is that not the best mixing, best tasting powder ever? Nitrean is the only protein powder I can stomach when mixed with water. Yummy...

Absolutely. In water, vanilla Nitrean is the best tasting protein hands down. In milk, I had some berry-flavored protein a few years ago, it's probably not even sold any more, which is probably the best tasting protein (in milk) I've ever had. But if I took into account quality and price...Nitrean is king by far.

Joe Black
05-11-2010, 08:57 AM
I used to always use chocolate nitrean, but I am goddamn addicted to vanilla with water. I know people will think I am being biased but I actually look forward to drinking it as a treat! :) I'm literally using between 4-6 scoops a day seeing as I am on very low calories/carbs.. (probabl use it a bit too heavily if I am honest!)

AKMass
05-12-2010, 08:13 PM
Squats-
Barx1 (lol)
95x6
135x6
155x6
175x6
205x6x2x2x2

Rack pulls-
Barx1
135x6
185x6
225x6
275x6
315x4x2x2x2

Bar curls-
25x1
35x1
45x6
55x6
65x6
75x6x2x2x2

Cable crunches (abs)-
20x1
50x6
100x6
140x6

Calves-
70x12
100x6
130x6x2x2x2

This workout was kind of messy. If you read my old journal, you know my grip SUCKS, and it showed today. Didn't bring chalk with me today, but that's no excuse. I'll try 315 again next workout I guess. I must've been doing the cable crunches wrong too, because they were ridiculously easy, even when I was using the entire stack of weight (140 lbs). Well, lots to improve on for next time...

Off Road
05-12-2010, 08:15 PM
Cable crunches? At least you redeemed yourself with some heavy squats :)

KoSh
05-13-2010, 08:12 AM
Good work, AK. Reading this journals is definitely interesting.

ELmx479
05-13-2010, 06:42 PM
Nice session brother, I have never done rack pulls. Maybe I will give them a try one of these days.

I bet this was epic... :bow:
Bar curls-
25x1
35x1
:bow:

AKMass
05-14-2010, 05:35 AM
Cable crunches? At least you redeemed yourself with some heavy squats :)

Lol. I may ditch the crunches, they didn't seem to be doing anything... Decline sit-ups are pretty much the only ab iso exercise that I've ever found useful.

Good work, AK. Reading this journals is definitely interesting.

Thanks bro, I'm here to entertain! :clown:

Nice session brother, I have never done rack pulls. Maybe I will give them a try one of these days.

I bet this was epic... :bow:
Bar curls-
25x1
35x1
:bow:

Lol, you should definitely try rack pulls. As for the curls, yeah all the ladies were swooning when I picked up the 35. But hey, at least I didn't take up a squat rack to do them.

AKMass
05-14-2010, 06:47 PM
Fartacus-

Bench Press-
45x1
95x5
115x4
135x3
155x2
165x6x2x2x2 +10 lbs from Monday

Assisted pullups-
BW - 120 x6
BW-90x4
BW-60x3
BW-40x5x2x2x2 Did not do Monday

OH Press-
45x5
75x4
85x3
95x1
105x6x2x2x2 +10 lbs from Monday

One arm rows-
40x6
65x6x2x2x2

Dips-
BW-40x6
BW+15x6x2x2x2 +5 lbs from Monday

Not too bad of a workout today. Only lift where I didn't increase weight was assisted pullups, and that's only because I didn't do them last week. I think for the next session there will still be a little room to up the weight on the Bench and OH Press, maybe 5-10 lbs. I'm going to be hitting legs twice next week though, and that's going to suck. My legs are still sore from Wednesday lol. Fun fun!

Off Road
05-14-2010, 08:40 PM
Nice job increasing everything. I think you'll have a lot more than 5 or 10 lbs left when it's all said and done.

Keith
05-14-2010, 11:09 PM
Ugh, now I have to subscribe to this journal now?! Wayz to get off teh 5/3/1 train1! The **** is this HCT-12, anyways?? Why'd you leave 5/3/1? Good luck with this, brah! I hope to see you back on 5/3/1 by the time I go back on it. I trust Wendler's advice when it comes to programming over whoever it was who made this one up, lol. P.S. Gheyest journal name evar!

ELmx479
05-15-2010, 11:00 AM
Nice session, glad too see the bench went up better. Maybe that was due to less volume on the warm up sets?

AKMass
05-15-2010, 12:58 PM
Nice job increasing everything. I think you'll have a lot more than 5 or 10 lbs left when it's all said and done.

Thanks OR. I'm sure as long as I can keep my diet consistent, you're right, my lifts will skyrocket. That's easier said than done, however.

Ugh, now I have to subscribe to this journal now?! Wayz to get off teh 5/3/1 train1! The **** is this HCT-12, anyways?? Why'd you leave 5/3/1? Good luck with this, brah! I hope to see you back on 5/3/1 by the time I go back on it. I trust Wendler's advice when it comes to programming over whoever it was who made this one up, lol. P.S. Gheyest journal name evar!

You better freakin subscribe. HCT-12 is the secret workout that Sly Stallone, Jean-Claude Van Damme, and Arnie never told us about! Nah it's just a good, solid program (imo), with a little more focus on hypertrophy. Actually, the way I'm implementing it, it might as well be called 5/3/1/6/2/2/2 Rest Pause. Lol. When are you planning on going back to 5/3/1? And you love my journal title, don't deny it!

Nice session, glad too see the bench went up better. Maybe that was due to less volume on the warm up sets?

Thanks broski. I think that's exactly why it went up, and why I expect it to go up again next week.

I'm starving, so if y'all will excuse me, food time! :burger:

Keith
05-15-2010, 05:05 PM
You know, I always looked at 5/3/1 as a great hypertrophy program, too. The last all-out set is almost always between 5-12 reps and the assistance work, well, you can choose to make it for hypertrophy as well. I'll be back on the 5/3/1 train as soon as I run westside dry and feel my numbers are respectable enough (my standards, of course). Your journal title is better than your last, that's all I have to say.

Drew92
05-16-2010, 08:26 AM
Nice pressing.

Kiff
05-16-2010, 10:03 AM
I didnt think about my Journal title and thought i would name it later as i was in a rush, now im stuck with HCT-12

I know i know its a mindblower but hey.

On another note mate nice Journal well done on the increases looks good buddy :)

How long have you been lifting mate?

AKMass
05-16-2010, 01:10 PM
You know, I always looked at 5/3/1 as a great hypertrophy program, too. The last all-out set is almost always between 5-12 reps and the assistance work, well, you can choose to make it for hypertrophy as well. I'll be back on the 5/3/1 train as soon as I run westside dry and feel my numbers are respectable enough (my standards, of course). Your journal title is better than your last, that's all I have to say.

Yeah you're right, 5-3-1 does have it's fair share of hypertrophy elements. I guess I just needed to switch things up for a bit. If HCT-12 serves me well, I'll probably switch back and forth between it and 5-3-1 every few months or so. I get bored easily lol.

Nice pressing.

Thanks bro.

I didnt think about my Journal title and thought i would name it later as i was in a rush, now im stuck with HCT-12

I know i know its a mindblower but hey.

On another note mate nice Journal well done on the increases looks good buddy :)

How long have you been lifting mate?

Yeah thread titles are no biggie, I usually just put whatever pops into my head at the moment. Keith just likes to give me **** cuz he has a secret man-crush on me. LOL. Thanks for the props! I"ve been lifting on and off for a good ten years I suppose. You'd never be able to tell by my numbers, but I wasted a LOT of time in the gym in my teens. It wasn't until I found WBB that I truly learned what lifting was all about. And hell, I'm still learning.

Alright, good day today.

Squats-
Barx1
115x6
135x5
155x4
175x3
195x2
205x1
210x6x2x2x2 +5 lbs from last week. Not sure if I could go up more or not, I was spent after the last set of 2.

Bar curls-
35x1 *waits for comment from ELm* lol
55x5
65x4
75x3
85x6x2x2x2 +10 lbs from last week. I think I'm going to have to switch to EZ-bar curls, no way I can jump up 10 lbs by the next workout.

Calf raises-
110x6
140x6x2x2x2 +10 lbs from last week.

Decline sit-ups-
BWx6
BW+5 x4
BW+10x6x2x2x2 Definitely have some room to increase weight here, not that this lift even matters lol.

Rack pull redemption-
135x6
225x2
275x6 Since I did 315 last week (forgot my straps this week), I decided to continue ramping weight for the sets of 2.
295x2
315x2
335x2
355x2

I definitely could've kept going, grip strength was excellent today for some reason. 355 felt incredibly light in my posterior chain, so I'm basically just training my grip with this lift. It's amazing, even with straps my grip can't come anywhere close to what my posterior chain can handle. Oh well, could be worse I guess.

Off Road
05-16-2010, 06:27 PM
Nice session AK. Everything rising up well. Even the Kurls.

Keith
05-16-2010, 08:21 PM
Don't get too excited. My man crush on you isn't as intense as the one I have for Jim Wendler. My experience is about the same as yours and sometimes I don't even get into that with people because of my numbers. "I've been training for 8 years now." "Oh really? How much do you bench?" "Uhh, currently ~205 lbs". Ya.... rather avoid that conversation. Dude, your pin pulls are insane! To think 355 felt light is a great sign. Was that knee level?

DannyMcG
05-17-2010, 01:42 AM
Those are some great increases AK! Some pretty damn good rack pulls there as well, I see what you mean about needing good grip strength for rack pulls. Will definitely be reading this journal regularly mate, keep up the hard work!

AKMass
05-17-2010, 06:33 AM
Nice session AK. Everything rising up well. Even the Kurls.

Thanks OR. I'm definitely liking how the program has allowed me to progress so far.

Don't get too excited. My man crush on you isn't as intense as the one I have for Jim Wendler. My experience is about the same as yours and sometimes I don't even get into that with people because of my numbers. "I've been training for 8 years now." "Oh really? How much do you bench?" "Uhh, currently ~205 lbs". Ya.... rather avoid that conversation. Dude, your pin pulls are insane! To think 355 felt light is a great sign. Was that knee level?

Lol, your man crush on Jim Wendler is more like an man-obsession, so I guess I don't feel too bad. Yeah, my numbers suck for the amount of time I've been in the gym, but like I said, as a teen I wasted a ton of time doing routines for bodybuilders (most likely on roids), etc. I never did squats/deads back then either. Shameful, I know :( Yeah rack/pin pulls weren't too shabby yesterday, I just wish I had time to have gone higher, or at least used heavier weight on the set of 6. I was pulling from 2-3 inches below the knee. I'd prefer to pull from a little lower, but that's the lowest I can set the pins, so it's that or a regular DL.

Those are some great increases AK! Some pretty damn good rack pulls there as well, I see what you mean about needing good grip strength for rack pulls. Will definitely be reading this journal regularly mate, keep up the hard work!

Thanks Danny! Yeah i've been struggling with the grip for a while, just gotta chalk up! Thanks for stoppin by!

Just a quick note, had a little stabbing pain in my right knee this morning. It's probably nothing, but I'll be monitoring it over the next few sessions.

Off Road
05-17-2010, 06:59 AM
I hope the knee turns out to be nothing. And don't worry about the amount of weight or how fast you progress, some guys just take longer. I get frustrated some days when I read about a 16 year old that is using the same weights as me after I've been consistent for years already. But, that's just life.

ELmx479
05-17-2010, 07:12 PM
Yeah you're right, 5-3-1 does have it's fair share of hypertrophy elements. I guess I just needed to switch things up for a bit. If HCT-12 serves me well, I'll probably switch back and forth between it and 5-3-1 every few months or so. I get bored easily lol.

Thanks bro.

Yeah thread titles are no biggie, I usually just put whatever pops into my head at the moment. Keith just likes to give me **** cuz he has a secret man-crush on me. LOL. Thanks for the props! I"ve been lifting on and off for a good ten years I suppose. You'd never be able to tell by my numbers, but I wasted a LOT of time in the gym in my teens. It wasn't until I found WBB that I truly learned what lifting was all about. And hell, I'm still learning.

Alright, good day today.

Squats-
Barx1
115x6
135x5
155x4
175x3
195x2
205x1
210x6x2x2x2 +5 lbs from last week. Not sure if I could go up more or not, I was spent after the last set of 2.

Bar curls-
35x1 *waits for comment from ELm* lol
55x5
65x4
75x3
85x6x2x2x2 +10 lbs from last week. I think I'm going to have to switch to EZ-bar curls, no way I can jump up 10 lbs by the next workout.

Calf raises-
110x6
140x6x2x2x2 +10 lbs from last week.

Decline sit-ups-
BWx6
BW+5 x4
BW+10x6x2x2x2 Definitely have some room to increase weight here, not that this lift even matters lol.

Rack pull redemption-
135x6
225x2
275x6 Since I did 315 last week (forgot my straps this week), I decided to continue ramping weight for the sets of 2.
295x2
315x2
335x2
355x2

I definitely could've kept going, grip strength was excellent today for some reason. 355 felt incredibly light in my posterior chain, so I'm basically just training my grip with this lift. It's amazing, even with straps my grip can't come anywhere close to what my posterior chain can handle. Oh well, could be worse I guess.

I hope you had an extra scoop of protein after those curls, LOL! Nice session man.

AKMass
05-18-2010, 05:29 AM
I hope the knee turns out to be nothing. And don't worry about the amount of weight or how fast you progress, some guys just take longer. I get frustrated some days when I read about a 16 year old that is using the same weights as me after I've been consistent for years already. But, that's just life.

Thanks OR. I'm sure the knee pain is just normal wear and tear, pain wasn't TOO intense. Man I wish I was 16 again, I could really use all that extra testosterone. To think I wasted it... :(

I hope you had an extra scoop of protein after those curls, LOL! Nice session man.

LOL, you know it bro! Chugged down some SuperPump 250, NOXplode, and Horny Goat Weed too! My bicepts grew right before my very eyez!

And thanks, lol.

J.C.
05-18-2010, 06:18 AM
Hey man,

I'm just starting to hang around these journals a bit and check out my online training partners/competitors.
What are your mass goals? Do you have a bodyweight you want to hit?

I'm about 195 right now and I want to get up to at least 205 and then back up to 210. I'm 6'4.

rdearmond573
05-18-2010, 12:05 PM
Keep pushin' hard

AKMass
05-19-2010, 05:02 PM
Hey man,

I'm just starting to hang around these journals a bit and check out my online training partners/competitors.
What are your mass goals? Do you have a bodyweight you want to hit?

I'm about 195 right now and I want to get up to at least 205 and then back up to 210. I'm 6'4.

Cool, welcome! Well eventually I'd like to hit a solid 200, but I'm only 170 right now. So I've got a long way to go, but it's ok, I have plenty of time too. HOw many cals are you taking in?

Keep pushin' hard

Thanks bro.

Bench-
95x6
115x5
135x4
155x3
165x2
170x6x2x2x2 +5 lbs from last session

T-bar rows-
45x6
55x6
80x6x2x2x2

Chinups-
BWx6x2x2x2

OH Press-
45x6
85x3
110x6x2x2x2 +5 lbs from last session

CG Bench-
45x6
135x6x2x2x2

Funny I've been losing about a lb. per week on my new diet. I thought I'd be gaining weight but I guess not. I changed things up a bit today:

-Moved my grip about two inches in so there's less stress on my shoulders. Left shoulder was injured previously, and my right has been a bit tweaky lately.

-Tried out t-bar rows. Just for kicks.

-Went with chins. Assisted pullup machine was taken. Not sure if this will be a permanent change.

-Did CG bench. Dip station was being swarmed today. Commercial gyms, ftl.

Not sure what I'm going to do next. I like the diet I'm on, and my lifts aren't suffering, so I may just strip off some fat until I'm really lean. Of course, pretty soon I'm going to start feeling like a skinny little ***** and will prob up my calories again. Just have to wait and see...

Off Road
05-19-2010, 05:36 PM
AK, nice job with the bench and press. Have you used the program's diet guidelines to figure out your eating. I don't see much reason to let your diet dictate your goals, rather your goals should dictate your diet.

Keith
05-19-2010, 08:13 PM
Solid benching, Sally. Good stuff on the fat loss, too. Commercial gyms do suck. I don't think there's anything good about them. How did you like t-bar rows? Oh, and I agree with smarty pants up there about your diet.

Bako Lifter
05-20-2010, 12:37 AM
nice goin with the workouts. i'm startin hct tomorrow.

ELmx479
05-20-2010, 05:43 AM
Damn dude, that was a big session. I'm only good for 3 main lifts and I'm smoked. I really think you should stick with the chins and pull ups. I feel it is one of, if not the best upper body lift.

brihead301
05-20-2010, 08:32 AM
Hey this is where you went.....Looking strong in here man. So like I ask the others, what are your thoughts on the program so far?

Pure Water
05-20-2010, 02:12 PM
Keep on working hard for the gains AK!

KoSh
05-21-2010, 11:04 AM
Unreal volume. Great work in here.

Joe Black
05-24-2010, 01:26 AM
Good job in here, keep it up.

Like how you have just made the rep scheme your own lol

ELmx479
05-25-2010, 07:31 PM
Where you at chump??? You didn't get crushed under the smith machine during an intense squat session did you?

Off Road
05-25-2010, 07:58 PM
I think his stalker got him -- lol

Keith
05-25-2010, 08:00 PM
Where the **** are you? I miss your scent.

Off Road
05-25-2010, 08:05 PM
Where the **** are you? I miss your scent.
What did you do with him Keith? Is he in your basement?

Keith
05-25-2010, 08:23 PM
What did you do with him Keith? Is he in your basement?

Yeah, and I'm not letting him out until he makes himself a better journal title. I've told him before but he didn't listen, so now he has to learn the hard way.

Off Road
05-28-2010, 02:13 PM
Keith...let him go already...actually, he was on today. Don't know why he's not checking in?

Keith
05-28-2010, 06:14 PM
Oh he is, I think he's just waiting for a reason to post. I guess we're not good enough of a reason...

ELmx479
05-28-2010, 08:09 PM
Maybe he switched from lifting heavy weights to P90X

Off Road
05-29-2010, 11:29 AM
Maybe he switched from lifting heavy weights to P90X
Ya, well I was wondering if he quit the program?