PDA

View Full Version : Calories in microwaved chicken?

alin
05-10-2010, 11:01 PM
I've searched everywhere but I can't find the calories in microwaved chicken. I can find information for stewed, roasted, broiled, etc., but not microwaved. The way I prepare it, I just take the raw chicken, peel the skin off, and cook it for 6-8 minutes in the microwave. I don't add salt or anything, and I don't insert it in water either. Some oil does gather at the bottom of the bowl, but I'm thinking it's probably only a fraction of the oil in the meat (correct me if I'm wrong). So if I throw out this oil, how much calories does, say, chicken breast cooked this way have? Any help would be appreciated.

nfraher
05-11-2010, 12:50 AM
just search for the calories in boneless skinless chicken breast - probably around 120 calories per 4oz, with 25ish grams of protein.

alin
05-11-2010, 03:23 AM
I've done that to get a ballpark figure, but there is quite a bit of oil gathering at the bottom of the bowl which I'm sure changes things up. Hmm, maybe I'll just find out how much oil leaves the chicken and subtract that from the total.

Clifford Gillmore
05-11-2010, 04:27 AM
That "Oil" is simply water that has been absorbed by the meat while it was undergoing the cleaning/tumbling process. Don't sweat it.

consider anything microwaved exactly the same as something cooked in a convection oven, its merely a different way of re-arranging the cells after all.

MadChef
05-11-2010, 11:01 AM
I've searched everywhere but I can't find the calories in microwaved chicken. I can find information for stewed, roasted, broiled, etc., but not microwaved. The way I prepare it, I just take the raw chicken, peel the skin off, and cook it for 6-8 minutes in the microwave. I don't add salt or anything, and I don't insert it in water either. Some oil does gather at the bottom of the bowl, but I'm thinking it's probably only a fraction of the oil in the meat (correct me if I'm wrong). So if I throw out this oil, how much calories does, say, chicken breast cooked this way have? Any help would be appreciated.

You should consider using an oven.

alin
05-11-2010, 04:18 PM
That "Oil" is simply water that has been absorbed by the meat while it was undergoing the cleaning/tumbling process. Don't sweat it.

It's a 50/50 mixture of oil and water. I sometimes put it in the fridge to use as flavoring later, and half of it rises to the top and solidifies into a lard-like consistency, with the bottom half 'setting' due to the gelatin from bones.

consider anything microwaved exactly the same as something cooked in a convection oven, its merely a different way of re-arranging the cells after all.

Understood.

You should consider using an oven.

Why? Microwaves get the job done faster and use less energy, a big plus when paying electricity bills here in New Zealand.