PDA

View Full Version : more protein/fat less carb = more strength??

earthbuddy1
05-11-2010, 09:26 AM
During my bulk of the last 6 months, I had carb, protein, fat macros of around 48% 24% 28% I have since readjusted my diet actually did a 2 week time frame of Lyle Mcdonalds RFL program where all carbs were cut and EFAs and protein were increased. Now Im off that and my diet is higher in protein and fats and lower in carbs than before but is close to my maintanance. Maybe only dropping .5 pound a week if that. However, my strength is increasing much more now than what it was a few months ago when I was eating less protein and more carbs. Why is that?

tyciol
05-11-2010, 10:40 AM
Perhaps you have grown more muscle or contractile fibre or something? Carbs do effect endurance but I'm not sure how large of an effect they have on short term explosive strength.

earthbuddy1
05-11-2010, 07:29 PM
I would hope thats the case, but why now instead of when I was in the midst of the bulk getting plenty of carbs?

Behemoth
05-15-2010, 09:46 PM
Carbs in general play a much bigger role in strength than fat.
I'm prepping for a contest and the first 9 weeks I did on my own with my protein roughly 300g day, carbs 210g, and fat 50g and was having great results.

The last two weeks I've been under the direction of a natural pro as my coach. He moved me to 240 protein, 270 carbs, and 55 fat and my lifts blasted up whereas before they were very slowly declining...

Raleighwood
05-20-2010, 12:05 PM
The body is really complicated.

Your high carb diet, depending on micronutrients, and your individual response to insulin, may have affected hormone and energy levels.

You may have trained better and gotten stronger through improved muscle composition or neuromuscular efficiency.

There is no way to easily tell.