PDA

View Full Version : Cutting weight. quick cut vs slow cut.

george okunev
05-11-2010, 09:12 PM
I am going to cut weight for the 30th of May. I currently wieght in at 253lbs I will compete as a 242lbs lifter. I have never had to cut 10lbs+. I never had issues loosing wieght (gaining is another question). I usualy spend a couple of days in the spa and I am all done. last time a cut in 24hours and put it back on in a similar sort of time.

I was wondering about the pros and cons of a slow cut vs a quick cut. Slow cut being a week with a quick cut being 24hours before weight-in. I will not visit the gym in the last week before the comp.

We have a 24hour weight-in. last couple of times to lose weight all i did was drink coffee and cut out carbs and eat just enough to have something in the belly but never fill up. aprox a quarter of what I eat normaly. Visit the spa for a few sessions. Do all this the day before weight in. Dont eat on the day until after the weight in than eat and drink till you are near death and fill my self up on electrolites.

I have never done a slow cut so I might do the same but on a much gentler scale.

Any help, advice and reviews are welcome.

vdizenzo
05-12-2010, 05:45 AM
I would think with a slow cut you would not be able to put all of the weight back on for the meet. Whereas it's pretty easy to put the weight back on from a 24 hour cut.

shocker4221
05-12-2010, 07:12 AM
I've had to cut 10 lbs in 48 hrs before and I paid for it when it came time to lift. I felt weak for the lift, not sure if it was how I cut weight or what? I've only entered into one competition and may just not understand completely, wouldn't it be easier to just maintain weight and possibly just cut a few pounds at the last minute? What are the benefits of cutting so much and then putting it back on for the lift?

Tom

george okunev
05-12-2010, 08:01 AM
I cant argue with you Vince. You have done it all. I guess it will have to be a quick cut. Plus all the research I have done over the past few weeks also sudgests a quick cut is better for retaining strength. A quick cut just mean that you dehydrate your self and than rehydrate very quickly. Our bodies are mostly water and wtar is very heavy. I need to loose about 12lbs. Coffee on its own dehydrates you while still keeping you feeling upbeat. Eating small amounts over of fruit and salad keeps the hunger away but your body digests it very easily and you keep loosing weight. Finaly, because the period of dehydration and hunger is so short, you are very unlikely to loose any strength providing you get all the right nutrients back in as quickly as possible after the weight-in. 12lbs from 250+ is very little, there are people that have cut over 10% of there body weight and still managed to perform very well. The main thing is to make sure you don t go too far and eat and drink like you are trying to commit suicide through glutony straight after.

ScottYard
05-12-2010, 09:12 AM
I just cut 17 last weekend and it screwed me up big time. I used the suana and it really zapped me. Are you going for a record? If I was you I would just show up and lift and have a great day.

vdizenzo
05-12-2010, 12:13 PM
Scott, let's be honest, you screwed up your cut a bit with your carb consumption.

Manipulating your water is not a hard thing to do. I don't agree with anything above that. Sitting in a sauna drains one too much in my opinion. Or doing any kind of exercise to cut weight. I have done three cuts in my lifting career. Two were very successful and one was ok. The key is getting rehydrated properly. A little research goes a long way ladies and gentlemen. It takes about 10 minutes on google to find the information you need. Heck, I have read really good cutting info on this forum.

ACaslow
05-12-2010, 01:42 PM
Scott, let's be honest, you screwed up your cut a bit with your carb consumption.

Manipulating your water is not a hard thing to do. I don't agree with anything above that. Sitting in a sauna drains one too much in my opinion. Or doing any kind of exercise to cut weight. I have done three cuts in my lifting career. Two were very successful and one was ok. The key is getting rehydrated properly. A little research goes a long way ladies and gentlemen. It takes about 10 minutes on google to find the information you need. Heck, I have read really good cutting info on this forum.

I've cut about 10 times. The most 15lbs from 180 to 165. It sucks, I hate it.

I have done it slow, quickly and wrong.
If you do it quickly, it hits the body really hard fast, so if your choice is to do it quickly, without the damage, it has to be done extremely close to weigh ins. As quickly as you loose it, you need to put it back on just as fast. But I do agree with vdizenzo that it's probably the best to secure as much strength.

Personally for me though, and realize that either way you do it, atleast for me so far, strength to some degree will be lost. After so many bouts, I have found that slowly, and little by little works the best (in terms of going through it, mentally-physically-psychologically etc). I like to start around 8am the day before. And just drop 1lb every 1-2 hours or so. Usually I can keep this up till about 8pm, that's when it just crashes and hits a wall (after about shedding 10lbs)

george okunev
05-12-2010, 06:16 PM
I try not to use a sauna too much. I like using the spa because I still lose weight, it is not as rapid as in a sauna and it is very relaxing to. I will be going for a national record and hopefully alot more pounds above that to. Last tiome I cut, I went to far but even than I cant say it had a massive effect on my strength. I was just alot more shattered after the comp than I would be after a ME day. Our weigh-in is going to be around lunch time. and than I have 24 hours before I lift. Last time I made a slight mistake that I did not drink enough and did not get enough electrolites in. I am starting tio put in more volume into my training or more BB training if you will. So I have one ME day a week than one upper volume day and one volume lower day based purely to get me the biggest pump possible, than I have a very long contrast shower and than I stretch before I go to sleep.

george okunev
05-12-2010, 06:17 PM
Oh most importantly, I am doing a bench only meet so I can lift with a food in me and not worry about offending people in the front row.