PDA

View Full Version : Recovering form a hamstring injury

Mugen46
05-12-2010, 06:56 AM
I injured my hamstring some time ago, got it checked up a couple of months after and was told it was a partial tear. It healed I guess but a lot of scar tissue must have built up since it still hurts. Recently I have tried bill starrs rehab protocol but it doesn't seem to be working too well. My hamstring has simply flared up. I'm sure my strength is way down since when the injury first occured months ago, I simply stopped doing lower body work thinking it would just heal fully on its own.

I want to get deadlifting and squatting heavy again. What path can I take to fix this?

JK1
05-12-2010, 08:39 AM
I injured my hamstring some time ago, got it checked up a couple of months after and was told it was a partial tear. It healed I guess but a lot of scar tissue must have built up since it still hurts. Recently I have tried bill starrs rehab protocol but it doesn't seem to be working too well. My hamstring has simply flared up. I'm sure my strength is way down since when the injury first occured months ago, I simply stopped doing lower body work thinking it would just heal fully on its own.

I want to get deadlifting and squatting heavy again. What path can I take to fix this?

Good luck with that... I hate to be negative, but if you stopped training the area completely, haven't done any ROM or other activity to facilitate healing and alot of scar tissue has built up, you stand a good chance of having a relatively long, probably painful road to recovery.

The first step is to start breaking up that scar tissue and getting those fibers to realign in a manner that doesn't inhibit muscle function. Find an ART practitioner or a good massage therapist and start doing range of motion work.

ScottYard
05-12-2010, 09:09 AM
Get on the foam roller and start rolling that bad boy out. I would do this daily for a few weeks and youll be surprised how much better it will feel. Daily stretching wont hurt either.

Pete22
05-12-2010, 08:11 PM
High rep band leg curls, very cautious at first, helped rehab my hamstring injury in the past. Foam rolling helped later on in the rehab too.