PDA

View Full Version : board presses without 2nd spotter?

OGROK
05-13-2010, 02:08 AM
I need a good setup for doing board presses without the second spotter. Outside of real powerlifting gyms, the guy holding the board cannot be trusted not to do something stupid and ruin the set. It's bad enough having to use a spotter; with two of them I know one of them will screw me up. I have tried tucking the board under my shirt, but it's not as tight a setup as I would like, anyone have any ideas?

thegreatone
05-13-2010, 03:05 AM
Have you seen board press shirts? They might solve you problem. I use a regular belt that's oversized to hold my boards.

http://www.garageinkpowerteam.com/Products.html

AdamBAG
05-13-2010, 04:35 AM
My training partner Phil has the board vest and really likes it.

I've never had a problem tucking the boards under a shirt or sweatshirt. Maybe just buy a cheap sweatshirt that fits pretty snug and just pop it on to do board sets.

Ryano
05-13-2010, 05:21 AM
How incompetent are the people in your gym? One of my training partner's son was our "bad ass board boy" when he was pretty little. All they have to do is hold a board on your chest. Anyone should be able to do it. Just make sure you tell them what to do and thank them for helping. Don't belittle them for doing something wrong, just train them to do it right and thank them. Most the non powerlifters in our gym are happy to help. That being said, I don't have any problem putting, up to a two board under my T-shirt, but it won't work with a bench shirt. I've heard of people using bungee cords to hold boards also.

triclops
05-13-2010, 07:46 AM
I need a good setup for doing board presses without the second spotter. Outside of real powerlifting gyms, the guy holding the board cannot be trusted not to do something stupid and ruin the set. It's bad enough having to use a spotter; with two of them I know one of them will screw me up. I have tried tucking the board under my shirt, but it's not as tight a setup as I would like, anyone have any ideas?

I use a mini band

ScottYard
05-13-2010, 08:16 AM
Second the mini band. Or get a haul strap or typical truck bad bungi cord. Either will work.

IronDiggy
05-13-2010, 08:30 AM
I tuck my shirt into my shorts and user duct tape to stick them to my chest.
Haven't had any problems with it yet.

Pete22
05-13-2010, 08:46 AM
I've used a knee wrap to secure boards and that worked pretty well.

44pirate
05-13-2010, 09:21 AM
I use 2x6 cut in 6" squares, then use these small garbage can rubberbands to secure the boards to the bar. I only have 1 competent training partner.

JK1
05-13-2010, 11:18 AM
We use tiedown straps. You just need acouple of different sizes so you can make the straps tighter for lower boards. You can cut a slight notch in the board so that the strap doesn't slide around on it too. Then you just set up, have your handoff person set the board and the straps then hand off to you.

I've been benching that way for a while now without a problem.

sayagain
05-13-2010, 12:39 PM
I don't have any spotters and just use mini bands and bench in a power rack. Works well for me.

90kg_pwrlftr
05-13-2010, 01:25 PM
If you dont want someone to hold the boards - I also recommend getting a vest from Niko! You spend you $$ on the best tools and this is well made.
http://www.garageinkpowerteam.com/Products.html

Xellarz
05-13-2010, 01:39 PM
Bungee

Brian C
05-13-2010, 02:51 PM
Miniband FTW. double it up and slide it around your torso. Doesnt get much easier/cheaper than that.

OGROK
05-13-2010, 03:01 PM
How do you set up the mini bands to hold the boards? The bands are pretty damn long.

Edit: All I have to do is double them?