PDA

View Full Version : chef here, anyone want to share recipes?

Tiare
05-07-2002, 01:05 PM
I love cooking and eating good tasting things. I'm putting together a menu of foods with their carb/protien/fat breakdowns for good tasting stuff and I'll be posting them here on this thread (easy to make too!).

Anyone else who wants to please post whatever menu items you want here too, just make sure to do a breakdown on carb/protien/fat with it!

Tiare
05-07-2002, 02:57 PM
OK, 1st recipe. Green Chile with chicken
Makes about 8 servings. should cost around $5 to make

Ingredients:
3/4 pounds chicken breast (boneless/skinless)
2 1/2 pounds green chile (can be bought frozen most places)
Thyme
paprika
chile powder
garlic (about 1 tbsp)
onion (about 1/4 large white onion)
Tomato's (canned is fine, about 1 1/2 cups diced or crushed)

Take the chicken and pound it out then dice it. Put the chicken in a pan at about 5 heat, throw in thyme, paprika, salt, pepper, and chili powder and a teaspoon of flour (optional) and once it starts cooking (30 seconds or so) put some water (about 1/4 cup) in the pan. Cook for about 5 minutes like that then throw in your garlic (diced) and onions (diced) and tomato's. Cover and cook like that for about 20 minutes then throw in about 3 cups of water, un-cover and cook as long as you like (the longer the better, but at least 15 minutes). If it's too thin, mix some water and flour and add that in as it's simmering (will thicken it up). This is great served by itself or with a tortilla or put it over some pasta if you want.

To spice it up, add some Jalapeno's with your other spices.

Breakdown:
Calories: 95
Carbs: 20.5g (42% if calories)
Protien: 10g (53% of calories)
Fats: 0.5g (5% of calories)

To up the fat content, add a tablespoon of olive oil to the pan before you start and brown the chicken in that (you won't have to add the 1/4 cup of water if you do this) or use pork instead of chicken.

To add some carbs, serve with rice, pasta or breads.

To up the protien, no idea. guess you could use more meat or green chile's, since they both have a lot of protien.

Mmmmmm, it tastes good!

Tiare
05-07-2002, 03:15 PM
Forgot to mention, when you throw in the garlic and onions turn the heat down to about 3.

Tryska
05-07-2002, 04:07 PM
is the green chile, like a mole sauce? made out of peppers, or do you mean actual green chiles?

Tiare
05-07-2002, 08:10 PM
Use actual green chile's. Usually you find them in 5 pound frozen blocks. Great stuff if you ask me

Tiare
05-07-2002, 08:35 PM
Next recipe is for tomato and chicken. Again, very tasty and easy to make. Costs about $3.50 to make a 2 serving dish.

Ingredients
Chicken breast (about 1 pound_boneless/skinless of couse!)
Lemon Juice (optional -about 1/2 a teaspoon)
Tomato (canned is fine, crushed or diced) 1-2 cups with juice
Paprika
cumin
basil
water

Pound out the chicken (always!) and put it in a baking dish/pan. pour about 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice over the chicken then throw on some paprika, cumin, basil salt and pepper (1 side only) -some people don't like the lemon juice which is fine, don't use it. Carefully pour the tomatos around the chicken and a little bit on top then add enough water so the chicken breast is just barely covered with liquid. cover and let marinade for 10 minutes or so then throw it in the oven at 350 for about an hour.

That's it! serve it over rice or pasta or just as it is!

Alternative: marinade it for 10 minutes in 1 tbsp olive oil, paprika, a squirt of lemon juice and some basil then drain the marinade and add tomato, cumin etc before cooking. You can replace the lemon juice with a vinegar (I like balsamic myself) if you like.

Breakdown: 2 servings (as indicated for original recipe)
Calories: 273
Carbs: 8g 10% of calories
Protien: 46g 70% of calories
Fat: 6g 20% of calories

Please note that the breakdowns don't include what you serve it over (pasta, rice, etc)

Add black olives before cooking to up the fat content (black olives are about 85% fat -about 14 grams of fat per cup of whole olives) and serve over rice or pasta to up the carbs. If you want to up the protien, sorry but that's psycho.

Think I'll work on some fish dishes tommorow. Maybe do something with that horrible tasting tuna in the can. I'm thinking hawaiian fruit...Too bad I can't use wine's anymore.