PDA

View Full Version : Ruptured triceps (again)

mrobertts
05-14-2010, 02:17 PM
Back in 2003 I ruptured my left triceps tendon had to surgically repaired. In 2006 I ruptured my right triceps again had to have surgery to repair. In April of this year I again ruptured my left triceps tendon! had the surgery the 9 days later to repair it. I have prior to first injury had a raw bench of 535lbs @ a body weight of 234.I have not gone over 455 since the initial injury but I am very hungry to lift big again does anyone have any suggestions to help my tendon strength? I always train raw and since the first injury I perform allot of preexhaust before I move to pressing motions. In March I had gotten back up to 405 x 6 for 4 sets raw paused with my feet up in the air. I will be starting back for physical therapy next month but am looking towards the future. ANY help will be appreciated thank you.

Travis Bell
05-14-2010, 02:53 PM
Prior to the injury, did you do any recovery work at all during the week?

What does your training set up look like?

All these tears, I have to imagine there is something that you are doing within your routine that's causing it.

mrobertts
05-26-2010, 08:38 AM
Since the first rupture I have used pre exhaust techniques before any pressing motions to limit the amount of weight I need to get a decent workout. I lift 3-4 days a week chest/shoulder/tri mon-thur, legs/back/ bi tues,Back / bi on fri.
I take a week off every two months, and rotate 3 days weights one week 4 the next. Two times a month I will lift in the 3-6 rep range on bench.
I am willing to totally revamp my routine to what is suggested.
Thank you,

Travis Bell
05-26-2010, 10:37 AM
"pre exhaustion" is different than recovery work.

Recovery work includes very light and high rep stuff done on non pressing days to aid in rehabbing the muscle from your bench workouts.

Are you benching heavy on both days?

The pre exhaustion work twice a week may have been what did you in, combined with benching heavy reps twice a week.

AdamBAG
05-26-2010, 11:10 AM
I concur. Get a good warmup and then bench. I am no expert, but I would think that lifting a multijoint movement like bench with the triceps "pre-exhausted" would make it more likely the triceps would give way. Obviously I'm just guessing. It seems like doing higher reps in the bench or "going light" would be a better choice to keep your triceps safe.

mrobertts
05-26-2010, 01:16 PM
I only go heavy (for me) twice a month the other days I stay in the 8-15 rep range. I pre exhaust the chest not the tris , which again might have been the wrong idea. I believed this would reduce the amount of weight I would be using on pressing motions protecting the tris but in reality it was probaly worse as they took up mor of the work load.? Does that sound correct?
If getting to 600 lb bench isnt in my future I can accept it. What I really need is to figure out how to keep training maintain muscle mass and avoid any more ruptures.

Travis Bell
05-26-2010, 03:59 PM
Yeah if anything, you want to warm up your tri's first, not your chest.

The pre exhaust work probably just wore you out faster.

Seems a little odd that you only go heavy twice a month? But that's just me. Obviously it works to some extent for you as your raw bench is plenty impressive.

What grip do you use when benching? Do you have any video?

mrobertts
05-26-2010, 10:05 PM
I only go heavy twice a month because the first two times I ruptured I was benching 405 x 5 @ 5,5,5,to failure and frankly have been afraid to go over that or to it very often since, No video hell I havent done anything impressive ( to me)since 2003 !
I rotate my grips but when I did local shows I used 34"