PDA

View Full Version : tire flips and sledgehammer

gmen5681
05-14-2010, 06:31 PM
today i found an old tire that im going to use for some GPP. its a military MRAP tire. the size is 16.00R21. i looked it up, it weighs 336 pounds. and then i went and got a 10 lbs sledgehammer so i can beat the hell out of it. going to be using the sled i made recently the tire and the sledge to get some killer workouts. anyone else using all 3? what are you doing for a program? my plan was to do this:

30 yard sprint with 50 lbs
30 yard walk w/ 50 lbs
flip tire 5 times
hit with sledge 10 times each side

and go for as many times as i can within 20-30 mins.

last thing i want to get is a long rope so i can do some pulls with the sled that way as well. anyone got an ideas for some thick durable rope? i saw some on elite but its pretty expensive.

Mark!
05-14-2010, 09:23 PM
The workout looks pretty brutal. I think with something like that, you could run what you've got, then adjust from there. If it's too much, or not enough, you can change it up. As far as the rope goes, you can probably just go to home depot or even wal mart to get some rope. Find out how much you're going to be pulling, then find a rope that can handle that weight.

gmen5681
05-15-2010, 09:16 PM
i found a pretty inexpensive tug of war rope online. it was only 40 bucks and 10 for shipping from www.kiddietoys.com. the plan is to set up the sled with X amount of weight and have the tire set up on the other side of the rope and then pull it in and when i get it all the way in to drag the sled back to the starting point and then going back to the tire and pulling the sled again. im really starting to love this GPP type of training. its quick and gets a great workout.

Detard
05-16-2010, 06:51 PM
Look for a local rigging shop that sells manilla rope.

gmen5681
05-16-2010, 08:25 PM
i already got rope from the website on my last post. its a tug of war rope so it should work great.

Tom Mutaffis
05-18-2010, 07:31 AM
today i found an old tire that im going to use for some GPP. its a military MRAP tire. the size is 16.00R21. i looked it up, it weighs 336 pounds. and then i went and got a 10 lbs sledgehammer so i can beat the hell out of it. going to be using the sled i made recently the tire and the sledge to get some killer workouts. anyone else using all 3? what are you doing for a program? my plan was to do this:

30 yard sprint with 50 lbs
30 yard walk w/ 50 lbs
flip tire 5 times
hit with sledge 10 times each side

and go for as many times as i can within 20-30 mins.

last thing i want to get is a long rope so i can do some pulls with the sled that way as well. anyone got an ideas for some thick durable rope? i saw some on elite but its pretty expensive.

Are you going to be doing the sprinting/walking with a sandbag?

gmen5681
05-18-2010, 02:01 PM
no i have a sled that i use, but i do have a sandbag as well.

Tom Mutaffis
05-19-2010, 06:50 AM
I would recommend something like this for your conditioning circuit:

- Sled Drag (Backward) / Sprint 50 ft.
- Sled Drag (Forward) / Walk 50 ft.
- Tire Flip / One-Motion 50 ft.
- Sledge Swings / 5 Reps Each Arm
- Box Jumps / 5 Reps

Rest long enough to catch your breath and then repeat the circuit. You can start with (3) circuits and eventually work your way up to (5) circuits - which should put you in the 20-30 minute range.