PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Hypers

muscle_g
05-15-2010, 06:34 AM
I'm about to get me a memebership at a gym that has a Reverse Hyper machine and I want to incorperate them into my workouts and I got some quetions about it

How many sets and reps do most people do for this exercise?

Is it mainly a glute exercise or does it hit hams and lower back too?

What part does it strengthen on squats and deads?

AJ Roberts
05-15-2010, 06:35 AM
It works the entire posterior chain and develops tremendous lock out power in both the squat and the dead.

Brian Hopper
05-15-2010, 08:35 AM
I usually do 4 sets for 10-15 reps. It's a great movement and like what AJ said it works the entire posterior chain.

Rugby Dad
05-15-2010, 04:08 PM
on another note, RHs are the only exercise where you do want to swing the weight and allow momentum to aid the ROM.
it's that forceful swing at bottom of movement that pulls glutes, lower back, spinal column, and creates strength in posterior chain.

SELK
05-15-2010, 07:21 PM
i like to use it heavier (ie 6-8 reps) with 3-4 sets as an accessory movement. When i started doing this I thought I got something from it, the lighter weights just gave me a back pump haha.

Travis Bell
05-15-2010, 08:43 PM
on another note, RHs are the only exercise where you do want to swing the weight and allow momentum to aid the ROM.
it's that forceful swing at bottom of movement that pulls glutes, lower back, spinal column, and creates strength in posterior chain.

To a certain extent yes. Louie always explains it that you want to start pulling back on the weight when you can see the plates. If you just let gravity stop the weight, you can lose some of the benefit at the bottom end. When you start pulling up on the weight at that point, you develop some traction and it almost stretches your muscles out a little.

i like to use it heavier (ie 6-8 reps) with 3-4 sets as an accessory movement. When i started doing this I thought I got something from it, the lighter weights just gave me a back pump haha.

I was always taught that the higher reps were really beneficial for rehab from an injury or just muscle soreness and the low reps were better for strength. You need that "pump" when rehabbing stuff because it is the best way to create blood flow down there in the back, whereas normally there isn't a ton of flow.

SELK
05-15-2010, 09:19 PM
Good point Travis, I was only thinking about strength.

Brian Hopper
05-16-2010, 08:40 AM
That's why I usally do it for higher reps, to help with my lower back. But from time to time I'll go heavy to get strong(er).

SELK
05-16-2010, 11:27 AM
on another note, has anybody ever used a reverse hyper like this:

http://www.samsonequipment.com/images/907RHP.jpg

seems like you can't really swing the weight on it. A gym I have a free membership to has one and wondered if it was worth my time.

K-R-M
05-16-2010, 06:43 PM
For us donkeys that frequent gyms where you can count deadlifters on 1 finger i.e. I don't have access to a reverse hyper, what are your thoughts on the alternates?

I usually do this:

-h2ihYpWqwU

vwLGUUMBWFg

Great way to get the bitties looking at you too, for all the wrong reasons obviously.

muscle_g
05-17-2010, 12:08 PM

seems like you can't really swing the weight on it. A gym I have a free membership to has one and wondered if it was worth my time.

That's sorta how the one at the new gym looks like, except it's made a companty called powerlift.

IronDiggy
05-17-2010, 12:48 PM
Thats pretty close to the one at my gym, xept you can adjust the foot part so there is room for a little swing.

bojackson
05-17-2010, 02:27 PM
Travis,
As ive gotten older, ive incorporated more high rep hypers and i feel that it has absolutely helped with my lower back stability and strength. not trying to argue, i feel some carry over from doing high rep work. now these are not reverse hypers i might add. but nonetheless, the high rep work seems to satify my low back let me say that....BTW, in meets anytime for you Travis?

Travis Bell
05-17-2010, 03:30 PM
Travis,
As ive gotten older, ive incorporated more high rep hypers and i feel that it has absolutely helped with my lower back stability and strength. not trying to argue, i feel some carry over from doing high rep work. now these are not reverse hypers i might add. but nonetheless, the high rep work seems to satify my low back let me say that....BTW, in meets anytime for you Travis?

Excellent! I'm always glad to hear when the reverse hyper has really helped guys. Sadly, my gym is the only one in the tri county area that even has a reverse hyper. In my opinion every gym should have one.

I'm curious though, what are you using? You said you weren't using an actual reverse hyper, is it one like the machines above?

As for meets, right now the plan is to do the Sweatt Shop bench meet in July.

chris mason
05-17-2010, 08:28 PM
I hope Louie sues the **** out of the manufacturers of those devices (if legally possible). The man has a patent because he created AND popularized the device and HE should receive the monetary benefits.

Clifford Gillmore
05-17-2010, 08:35 PM
I hope Louie sues the **** out of the manufacturers of those devices (if legally possible). The man has a patent because he created AND popularized the device and HE should receive the monetary benefits.

I believe the law needs a product to only be changed by 10% to void any copyrights/patents, those things posted above are far too complicated and more than likely complete rubbish.

Runty
05-17-2010, 10:57 PM
Isn't one of the biggest draws of doing reverse hypers the traction and stretch you get during the swing at the bottom? Those machines and even the improve methods posted above don't go down far enough to stretch the hamstrings/glutes/lower back area. I'm actually trying to modify a home made GHR right now so I have the adequate room to swing my legs back under far enough.

chris mason
05-18-2010, 08:40 AM
Isn't one of the biggest draws of doing reverse hypers the traction and stretch you get during the swing at the bottom? Those machines and even the improve methods posted above don't go down far enough to stretch the hamstrings/glutes/lower back area. I'm actually trying to modify a home made GHR right now so I have the adequate room to swing my legs back under far enough.

Yes, that is excellent.

AdamBAG
05-18-2010, 08:52 AM
The best alternative that I've used to a Reverse Hyper is using a miniband attached to a preacher curl bench. Put your stomach where your elbows would be for curling. Felt the most like a RH. Not the worst solution.

I think doing band good mornings and letting your low back round (obviously done for high reps and not a heavy band) has a similar feel of pumping blood into the lumbar area. Not as good as RHs, but a cheap alternative if you are using RHs for rehab purposes.

dbc3po
05-18-2010, 09:47 AM
Louie himself told me once a good alternative is to set the sfaety ins in your power rack and lay a borad over them and let your legs swing underneath. I did that for a while until ai bought the thing new york barbells sells. Nothing works as good as the real reverse hyper but the key to it as others have mentioned is the stretch you get form it. Even the pos I have has helped keep my lower back form getting to sore and helped my pull a ton.

NickAus
05-18-2010, 04:05 PM

I have used one similar to this and did not really like it all that much.

As others have said there is no swing/ stretch which makes it quite different.

Gugunir
05-18-2010, 05:24 PM
I have used one similar to this and did not really like it all that much.

As others have said there is no swing/ stretch which makes it quite different.

The Y that I train at has something similar to that machine, I never felt it did much for my back. I wouldnt know how to compare it to a rev hyper as I have never used one.

I have always wondered how rev hyper would help out with lower back rehab I know that many people swear by it. I have a compressed nerve root on the right side of my L-5 so its a exercise I have wanted try but never gotten a chance to do.

Frietbakker
05-20-2010, 12:57 AM
Dont hope im rehasing something old, but whats the difference between the strap reverse hyper and the one with the chain and the one with the pendulum like in this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uQ29DMYb6c

And if you were to get one, which one would it be? :-)

AJ Roberts
05-22-2010, 02:55 PM
Dont hope im rehasing something old, but whats the difference between the strap reverse hyper and the one with the chain and the one with the pendulum like in this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uQ29DMYb6c

And if you were to get one, which one would it be? :-)

Pendulum is the hardest one IMO as the weight is behind you which makes it that much harder. I don't think these are for sale though yet.

The chain hyper (also not available) is my favorite and can be loaded with a lot more weight than all the others due to it's design. I like to push the weight on these and use it more of a strength builder than for pre-hab/re-hab. The chain also allows for rotation which adds extra difficulty and benefits.

The pro-hyper which uses the strap is the original and one i use a lot also. I like using a short strap on this as it really stretches my lower back out.

There are also a couple of other variations of the hyper which you can view here http://www.westside-barbell.com/reverse-hyper/ (http://www.westside-barbell.com/reverse-hyper/)

Detard
05-22-2010, 03:28 PM
Louie himself told me once a good alternative is to set the sfaety ins in your power rack and lay a borad over them and let your legs swing underneath. I did that for a while until ai bought the thing new york barbells sells. Nothing works as good as the real reverse hyper but the key to it as others have mentioned is the stretch you get form it. Even the pos I have has helped keep my lower back form getting to sore and helped my pull a ton.

This is how I do mine too. I lay 2 bars across the pins, and then put a board over top to lay on. I usually tie bands off to the uprights of the rack and use that as resistance.

BloodandThunder
05-22-2010, 06:58 PM
I never liked the idea of that ripoff machine....doesn't allow for a natural movement...fine if you're an untrained sedantary person...but as others mentioned, it's that little swing forward that makes all the difference.
My gym has a smal rip offl rev hyper...even worse the welded 2" extensions only allow for like 100 lbs each total and there's no pin to secure the weights...
so i've instead been using the rev hyper for high reps, something like 3-4 sets of 15-20 with light weight on off days. My lower back definitely enjoys life more lol

Rugby Dad
05-23-2010, 03:44 PM
For us donkeys that frequent gyms where you can count deadlifters on 1 finger i.e. I don't have access to a reverse hyper, what are your thoughts on the alternates?

I usually do this:

-h2ihYpWqwU

vwLGUUMBWFg

Great way to get the bitties looking at you too, for all the wrong reasons obviously.

Unfortuneately neither setup above allows for the pendulum swing where feet swing all the way under the hips, which is a major factor in RHs i believe.

Lones Green
05-23-2010, 05:57 PM
Unfortuneately neither setup above allows for the pendulum swing where feet swing all the way under the hips, which is a major factor in RHs i believe.

I agree. I used to have access to a ripoff machine, and when I used a real reverse hyper the difference was insane. The ripoff machine is terrible.