PDA

View Full Version : Box squats vs Pause squats...

bojackson
05-15-2010, 07:11 AM
the functional carry over of these are quite similar. i feel the pause sqauts give me some added pop out of the whole. are box squats more beneficial in this area?? those that are proficient in the box squat, id love to hear why you do them and or favor them?

Brian Hopper
05-15-2010, 08:30 AM
I haven't really done paused squats but I have thought about throwing them in the mix. IMO, the paused squats are more beneficial to raw squatting then box squats. I do box squats because I feel it helps me out of the hole when i'm in gear. I'm sure there is someone here that has done both that might be able to help you out a little bit more.

ScottYard
05-15-2010, 08:58 AM
For a raw lifter I think Box squats have zero carry over to a full raw squat. Theere just too different. Pause squats however can be a good tool for a raw lifter.

Sean S
05-15-2010, 09:02 AM
I agree with these guys. I've done plenty of box squats for geared lifting, but I think the pause squats are much better for the raw lifter.

chris mason
05-15-2010, 09:38 AM
Scott,

I think saying zero is going a bit far, but I agree that the carryover is less for a raw squat.

Astreocclu
05-15-2010, 09:59 AM
I never knew that about box squats. I will probably never suit up for squatting, however i am a football player and their athletic carryovers are very good, right?

chris mason
05-15-2010, 11:01 AM
Box squats are IDEAL for athletics. They focus on the posterior chain and are very easy on the knees.

gmen5681
05-15-2010, 11:06 AM
how long should you pause for a pause squat?

SELK
05-15-2010, 02:44 PM
Yeah, box squats have never done a ton for my raw free squat, but for my geared squat (even if i just put on a light pair of briefs) they help me more then anything ive found. It also is going to depend on how you box squat, when I box squat if I took the box away I would fall on my ass. Some people box squat and pretty much just touch and go.

Jay1
05-15-2010, 03:47 PM
how long should you pause for a pause squat?

We'll pause for about a second or so. Long enough to take all the movement out of the bar then explode back up.

ScottYard
05-16-2010, 07:26 AM
Scott,

I think saying zero is going a bit far, but I agree that the carryover is less for a raw squat.

Your right.............How about.............Almost zero ?

LOL