PDA

View Full Version : Torn Labrum Question

Travis Bell
05-15-2010, 08:52 PM
No I didn't tear mine lol

I have a friend though who says he tore his training at a local highschool gym. He went in, got an MRI I'm told and it was indeed torn.

His doc of course recommended surgery, however he's a mechanic full time so he wants to wait until August (not my recommendation either lol) to get the surgery because that recovery down time will work out better for him. It's a slap tear by the way

The doc agreed and said that the torn labrum shouldn't bother him.

Oddly though he is in some pretty extensive pain, to the point where he has a difficult time sleeping at night.

I have no personal experience with torn labrums, but I've known people in the past who have had a torn one and they never seemed to have just throbbing pain non stop. Usually the pain was limited to a certain angle of pressing or pulling movements.

Does this guys amount of pain sound right? I'm a little concerned he's got something else going on in there and that his doctor is giving him poor advice.

dammstrate
05-15-2010, 09:28 PM
I had a torn labrum surgically repaired about 18 months ago. I hurt it unracking heavy bench weight
by myself (yes, not smart). it would hurt only at specific motions and positions of the bench press and some
overheads. Worked around it for 6 months, rarely if ever does rehab fix a labrum tear as there is nothing
to pin the cartilage back to the bone, and there is very poor blood flow. GET IT FIXED. They put two anchors
throught and sinched it down. In a sling for about a week (they wanted 3-4 but if you just don't move your
arm, you are ok). Less than 6 months post surgery i was hitting bench PRs.

A SLAP tear is a very extensive tear, worse than mine. It goes from front to back over the top of the shoulder.
Despite this, without movement he shouldn't be in much pain at all. Movement or sleeping on it oddly sure
could be painful, but if he is in a lot of pain just with this arm at his side, I would bet something else is going
on. Was his MRI done with contrast/dye? Usually that's the only way you can see everything that's going on.

Detard
05-15-2010, 11:02 PM
I partially tore my labrum, and opted out of the surgery. I have dislocated my shoulder twice, and was told anything between 3 and 5 times usually requires surgery.. I find I really need to focus on RC work to maintain shoulder stability. I also wake up at night in pain, usually after heavy shirted work. Naproxen helps bring down swelling and inflammation.

The common test all my doctors did when they were diagnosing my injury, was one arm behind the back, palm out, and see how much force I can generate from that position. I literally had no strength in that position until I started rehab.

Overhead pressing was out of the question for about 3 months after the injury, but I was able to bench medium weight, with no pain. Anything heavy and I'd be up all night in pain.

Hope this helps

ScottYard
05-17-2010, 09:59 AM
Sleep position can make or break you.

I didnt tear my labrum but my buddy did and he says if he can manage to not sleep on the bad shoulder he can train just fine. But if he wakes up on that side he can barely move his arm through out the day.