PDA

View Full Version : Dealoading for West Side

DALLAS
05-16-2010, 01:15 PM
What does a good deload week look like? I planning on not doing any DE or ME work, and just assistance, but then I have 3 weeks left in that cycle, and I don't want to do any assistance work for 4 weeks.

gmen5681
05-16-2010, 03:45 PM
from what i have read and i could be wrong i think you would be better off to not do any assistant work on a deload and stick the only the main lift at 50% of non-shirted/suit max.

PS i was watching some of your youtube videos and when you were DE benching i noticed on your last rep you were throwing it towards the rack before you even had it locked out. you should finish out the rep and then slam it home. also you should try tucking the elbows a bit more, really squeeze your lats tight because your elbows are almost 90 degrees out, and that can cause some serious shoulder problems down the road. hope you dont mind some positive critiquing.

MarcusWild
05-16-2010, 05:05 PM
Why would you not do assistance work for 4 weeks? That defeats the whole purpose of the program.

People deload different. Some just go light on the barbell movements. Some only do accessories. I think the stronger you get the more you have to back off when deloading.

gmen5681
05-16-2010, 05:16 PM
i think he was referring to week 4, not 4 weeks. if im wrong then that seems like an awful long time to deload. even the top powerlifters dont deload that long after a meet, 2 weeks max.

Travis Bell
05-16-2010, 05:32 PM
On a Westside program, a deload lasts for one week. On a deload week we usually do very very light movements or just nothing at all.

Scott Yard I've noticed has a different type of deloading for when he leads up to a meet

DALLAS
05-16-2010, 11:03 PM
I deload for one week, the first week of each cycle, then do 3 weeks to finish up the cycle.

gmen5681
05-17-2010, 02:45 AM
the way you wrote it, it almost sounded like you were deloading for 4 weeks straight.

cpa5oh
05-17-2010, 08:58 AM
Travis, how often do you typically deload at Westside?

Travis Bell
05-17-2010, 09:03 AM
Travis, how often do you typically deload at Westside?

We go by feel during a training cycle. Probably every 6 weeks or so

Other than that though, it's the week before and the week after a meet

DALLAS
05-17-2010, 09:06 AM
I just feel like if I keep the same assistance for the deload week, then 3 weeks after that for the rest of the cycle, I burn out fast. I don't want to do just ME and DE for the deload week yet. I'll figure it out as the week goes on.

rinse
05-17-2010, 10:20 AM
What are you talking about? Just ME and DE? Rotate your assistance when you feel like it or when your progress stops.

rinse
05-17-2010, 10:21 AM
What does a good deload week look like? I planning on not doing any DE or ME work, and just assistance, but then I have 3 weeks left in that cycle, and I don't want to do any assistance work for 4 weeks.

Why would you not want to do any assistance work for 4 weeks?

robchris
05-17-2010, 06:53 PM
Dallas,

I generally deload every 4-6 weeks similar to what Travis does... On my deload weeks I usually go very light on the big (3) BP,SQT,DL @ approx. 50-60% 1rm.

Or either do RE work for the whole week... Good for hypertrophy.

As far as accessory work I dont quit follow you. You can rotate accessory exercises every week... They are there to assist your main lifts so as long as your increasing your general work and fortifying your weaknesses you're OK. Assistance exercises selection is best rotated every 2-3 weeks IMHO.

I think Louie reccomends changing accessory work as soon as you suspect any stalness anyways.
Just my .02 bro...RC