PDA

View Full Version : One-Arm Barbell Snatch

Tom Mutaffis
05-17-2010, 05:00 AM
Does anyone here ever do one arm barbell snatches (or DB snatches)?

We were messing around at strongman training yesterday and I tried them for the first time. Might add them in once in a while to test explosiveness/grip/etc.

dm7NoOvIinU

IronDiggy
05-17-2010, 09:12 AM
I've done dumbbell snatches before. I love em and probably don't do them nearly enough.

I would try one arm barbell snatches... but I would probably hit everything breakable in the gym doing them.

bojackson
05-17-2010, 09:21 AM
Tom,
IVe done them in the past for the exact reasons you stated, to help with some explosiveness and I felt they certailny helped my grip. Plus after I had done them for some time, its pretty cool for people to stare at you as you snatch 120lb DB over your head. ha!

bojackson
05-17-2010, 09:23 AM
Tom,
IVe done them in the past for the exact reasons you stated, to help with some explosiveness and I felt they certailny helped my grip. Plus after I had done them for some time, its pretty cool for people to stare at you as you snatch 120lb DB over your head. ha!

ok im a douche bag, i didnt notice the weight you were snatching, and with a barbell!!! awesome!! ive worked up to 135 on the barbell snatch, but prefer the DB snatch. but once again, great show of strength!!!!

IronDiggy
05-17-2010, 09:59 AM
^ I didn't comment on the video because it's blocked at work. I'm going to go home and watch it though! I've only made 135 on the bb snatch.

Tom Mutaffis
05-17-2010, 10:08 AM
I've done dumbbell snatches before. I love em and probably don't do them nearly enough.

I would try one arm barbell snatches... but I would probably hit everything breakable in the gym doing them.

In the past I have done dumbbell snatches as the 'conditioning' movement in my Back training complexes, which they did work well for.

Barbell snatches do seem like they can be a bit dangerous!

Tom,

Unfortunately my gym only has dumbbells up to 100 lbs, but I am thinking about changing gyms or setting things up at home in a garage.

ok im a douche bag, i didnt notice the weight you were snatching, and with a barbell!!! awesome!! ive worked up to 135 on the barbell snatch, but prefer the DB snatch. but once again, great show of strength!!!!

No worries, 135 lbs is a solid lift!

^ I didn't comment on the video because it's blocked at work. I'm going to go home and watch it though! I've only made 135 on the bb snatch.

In the video I hit a single with 160 lbs, it went up pretty smooth but I am not sure how much more I could do. We had already been training for a couple of hours and I missed it on the first try (lost balance at lockout) or I might have tried 185 lbs.

Rugby Dad
05-18-2010, 05:11 PM
yep, one arm bb snatches are great, I do them from time to time.
as you said can be risky with plate loaded bb, may need to go back to circus globe bells, LOL