PDA

View Full Version : cardiovascular diesase in one simple step

MonsterZero
05-18-2010, 04:00 AM
drink a gallon of whole milk a day on top of your regular diet.

I like rippetoe as much as the next guy, but this part of the program, IMO, is horrible. Try alot more lean meats instead. thoughts?

Raleighwood
05-18-2010, 07:33 AM
Contrary to popular belief, Rip doesn't recommend GOMAD to most people. He recommends it to skinny, and usually youngish, males who are looking to gain body weight.

The latest research is finding that diets high in fat are not the primary cause/factor behind CVD. It is more related to sedentary lifestyle and/or insulin resistance. Insulin resistance is formed through sedentary lifestyle and a diet rich in carbohydrates.

When you combine a high carbohydrate intake with a high fat diet, that is a recipe for disaster. Since the typical American diet is loaded with processed carbs, and processed carbs are the most profitable food commodity, it has been strongly lobbied as the 'healthier' choice as opposed to fat rich foods.

Some of the healthiest cultures in humanity have lived off a diet that is extremely high in saturated fats. The body is very complicated and to single out one nutrient as a primary factor is probably not correct.

In my experience, I've upped my fat intake incredibly while cutting out most sources of carbs. I feel and look the best I have in years. Anecdotal at best, but it's whats working for me.

Mercuryblade
05-19-2010, 12:33 AM
Contrary to popular belief, Rip doesn't recommend GOMAD to most people. He recommends it to skinny, and usually youngish, males who are looking to gain body weight.

The latest research is finding that diets high in fat are not the primary cause/factor behind CVD. It is more related to sedentary lifestyle and/or insulin resistance. Insulin resistance is formed through sedentary lifestyle and a diet rich in carbohydrates.

When you combine a high carbohydrate intake with a high fat diet, that is a recipe for disaster. Since the typical American diet is loaded with processed carbs, and processed carbs are the most profitable food commodity, it has been strongly lobbied as the 'healthier' choice as opposed to fat rich foods.

Some of the healthiest cultures in humanity have lived off a diet that is extremely high in saturated fats. The body is very complicated and to single out one nutrient as a primary factor is probably not correct.

In my experience, I've upped my fat intake incredibly while cutting out most sources of carbs. I feel and look the best I have in years. Anecdotal at best, but it's whats working for me.

I agree mostly with your advice Raleigh, but I would advise a word of caution:
As you said, it is a bit more complicated than high fat = heart disease, but for some people this is clearly the case. Some member on here ( I don't remember who) was either on a regular bulking diet or on GOMAD, and their triglycerides went up significantly. Some people just have a crappy hand when it comes to genetics. My friends dad is a healthy, in-shape guy with high cholesterol. He was on statins but has managed to keep his cholesterol levels low enough (with diet and exercise) that he was able to get off them, but he is always right on the border.

As you said- young and active people, as long as they are staying away from the processed grains and meats, will do just fine with a healthy dose of animal fat in their diet. But it's definitely not for everyone.

Raleighwood
05-19-2010, 11:31 AM
I agree mostly with your advice Raleigh, but I would advise a word of caution:
As you said, it is a bit more complicated than high fat = heart disease, but for some people this is clearly the case. Some member on here ( I don't remember who) was either on a regular bulking diet or on GOMAD, and their triglycerides went up significantly. Some people just have a crappy hand when it comes to genetics. My friends dad is a healthy, in-shape guy with high cholesterol. He was on statins but has managed to keep his cholesterol levels low enough (with diet and exercise) that he was able to get off them, but he is always right on the border.

As you said- young and active people, as long as they are staying away from the processed grains and meats, will do just fine with a healthy dose of animal fat in their diet. But it's definitely not for everyone.

Yes, individual genetics are the ultimate factor. Furthermore, there are many unknown factors with people on message boards... If he was doing GOMAD and eating high amounts of carbs beyond the milk, it's no surprise his triglycerides went through the roof. We don't know his total activity level, full diet, family history, etc.

Notorious
05-19-2010, 01:16 PM
Yeah, except it's impossible to get 2400 calories in lean meat without vomiting it back up. The point of SS and GOMAD is to get you big and strong fast. After that, you can cut out the milk, fix up your diet, and lose the fat. It's only short term, not going to kill you.