PDA

View Full Version : ME Bench from today

Travis Bell
05-19-2010, 01:31 PM
Haven't posted a ME vid in some time.

i tried to get some sets of what the other guys were doing too, but I wasn't able to catch everyone between spotting and handing off.

Shack and Tony did foam 1brd - Shack worked up to 525 for a single, Tony 545

I just stuck with close grip up to a couple of singles

AJ, Luke, Jake and Shane did cambered bar extensions off the pins

zaNYWaWBqOE

bojackson
05-19-2010, 02:54 PM
Nice work! Strong men you hang around with....

NickAus
05-19-2010, 04:15 PM
Some great pressing strength!

n.die_beast
05-19-2010, 04:50 PM
I never thought of maxing out on an extension. Great work. Very motivating.

AJ Roberts
05-19-2010, 05:03 PM
I never thought of maxing out on an extension. Great work. Very motivating.

I never thought of maxing on the JM Press either until I got talking to Louie on Monday about some of the ME exercises they Kenny and George used to do. He said a good number to shoot for would be 405, which i thought was nuts as i've never gone over 225 in this movement but as always he was bang on with what he thought we should be able to do.

vdizenzo
05-19-2010, 05:24 PM
Great benching Trav. Looking strong and lean brother.

n.die_beast
05-19-2010, 05:46 PM
I never thought of maxing on the JM Press either until I got talking to Louie on Monday about some of the ME exercises they Kenny and George used to do. He said a good number to shoot for would be 405, which i thought was nuts as i've never gone over 225 in this movement but as always he was bang on with what he thought we should be able to do.

Could you tell me Louie's explanation for maxing out on a JM press as well as some of the old school exercises that Kenny and George used to do? This is just out of interest. I thought the ME exercise was supposed to incorporate the same muscle groups as the bench but with multiple muscle groups. I saw on the old westside tape that they used to do overhead lockouts and Kenny could do over 600 pounds on that exercise. How come you guys don't do overhead lockouts anymore?

Travis Bell
05-19-2010, 07:17 PM
Kenny actually did 700 on overhead lockouts at one time. The guy was an absolute pressing monster

We started adding them back in a few weeks ago.

When the gangster shirts hit the late 90's or early 2000's people got away from them because they were spending more time learning their shirts, and less time on getting stronger. Two different kinds of strength.

Now we are more transitioning back to focusing on getting strong, rather than becomming great technicians in the shirts. We just find that this adds to a great longevity to our progress as well as joint health. We've learned how to bench in our individual shirts and the rest of the time is spent on overall strength. We try an incorporate what we felt worked best in the old days, in addition to what we need to do to hit PRs in the newer level of shirts.

I was with AJ when Louie said he thought they should be able to hit 4 plates. We both just kinda looked at each other and gave the " I don't know about that" look and the next thing I know, all those guys were nailing those 405 extensions off the pins. It was very impressive. That old man really knows his stuff.

robchris
05-19-2010, 07:56 PM
Travis,
Lookin' very strong bro!

What is your BW now? Arent you a 242 guy?

Brian Hopper
05-19-2010, 08:59 PM
Awesome video Travis!!!!! Watching you guys from Westside Barbell train is always motivating and inspirational!!!!!!!!

Travis Bell
05-20-2010, 03:40 AM
Travis,
Lookin' very strong bro!

What is your BW now? Arent you a 242 guy?

I'm right about 258 right now. Still a 275 fella as I hate cutting weight lol

OGROK
05-20-2010, 03:59 AM
I am still confused about JM presses. In the video it seems like there is a lot of shoulder rotation, while in JM's video there isn't any shoulder rotation. In the vid he seems to lower the bar to the chest like in a normal bench press and then let the forearms roll back at the bottom. I have been doing them super strict, almost like a skullcrusher, with no shoulder rotation, but it seems like trying to max on that wouldn't be a great idea.

n.die_beast
05-20-2010, 04:12 AM
If Kenny could do an overhead lockout with 700 pounds I think he should've been able to bench a bit more than 600 pounds raw. What were his other best ME numbers?

vdizenzo
05-20-2010, 05:22 AM
If Kenny could do an overhead lockout with 700 pounds I think he should've been able to bench a bit more than 600 pounds raw. What were his other best ME numbers?

Seems about right to me. I used to do those and could get into the 600's and my raw was 585 at the time.

rinse
05-20-2010, 07:07 AM

It was a very limited ROM if it is the same overhead lockout that Kenny demonstrated in the old westside tape.

Travis Bell
05-20-2010, 07:48 AM

LOL I didn't keep track of Kenny's stuff.

n.die_beast
05-20-2010, 08:32 AM
It was a very limited ROM if it is the same overhead lockout that Kenny demonstrated in the old westside tape.

Ah. Forgot about that. Very impressive nonetheless.

ScottYard
05-20-2010, 09:38 AM
I spoke with Kenny last year at elites compound. He said his best ever touch and go was 625.

Ruff Riff
05-20-2010, 01:03 PM
Animal!

You just wanted me to max at half thumbs to tear me down huh?

Just kidding T, strong stuff bud!

It certainly makes sense to me that if you get your raw strength up then the shirted bench should as well, once you learn the shirt? Watching E and Tyler the other day was nuts...... buying a shirt......hmmmmmmmmmm!

joey54
05-20-2010, 06:56 PM
Looking big and strong!

Suprman1020
05-21-2010, 06:34 AM
Approximately how many inches from lockout are the pins supposed to be set? Do you do them AFTER a ME exercise or as a ME exercise? And lastly, do you work up to a single, triple or fives?

AJ Roberts
05-22-2010, 02:44 PM
Approximately how many inches from lockout are the pins supposed to be set? Do you do them AFTER a ME exercise or as a ME exercise? And lastly, do you work up to a single, triple or fives?

For over head we set the pins at nose height but you could set them up anywhere you wanted and get records off different heights.

For the JM Pin Press we did, we set a regular bar on my chest then put the pins 2 holes lower than that and then used a cambered bench bar for the movements.