PDA

View Full Version : Foam Rolling...??

bojackson
05-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Is foam rolling that good? i hear people talk about in very high regard. Havent tried it yet. I have always stretched or have done some sort of active recovery,. Just curious before i infest in a roller. can you not masage with a broom handle and get similar results?

Runty
05-21-2010, 05:09 PM
It's easier to apply more force by laying on a foam roller, however they aren't the only way to give yourself a massage. Broomstick can work, some people have sticks that have little washers/beads that roll. Basically a broomstick but reduces the dragging on your skin. Some people use golf, tennis, lacrosse, or medicine balls.

As long as your doing some form of self-myofacial release(sp?) to break up the knots in your muscles you should be good to go. I read an analogy somewhere not too long ago about muscles and ropes. If you have a knot in a rope, and you stretch/pull it, it's going to make the knot tighter. Not sure if muscles work exactly like that but I always feel way more flexible after a thorough(meaning long and painful) foam rolling session.

Sean S
05-21-2010, 07:10 PM
It won't work magic, but it will help you feel better. It does tend to keep things loose and mobile. I think you can get a good foam roller for ~$20, so it's well worth the investment. Just get one of the hard foam ones so it will last a long time.

Notorious
05-21-2010, 07:56 PM
I put 3 tennis balls in a sock and it works fine. It worked wonders for my knee pain.

Xellarz
05-21-2010, 11:16 PM
Invest? I think I got my foam roller for less than $6.00. I just invested more than that on Taco Bell 20 minutes ago. :)

EDIT: They ARE worth it, though. But it probably shouldn't be your only method of self massage or release or recovery or whatever. Keep doing what you're doing and add in the foam roller and maybe some of the tennis ball stuff.

fixationdarknes
05-22-2010, 04:03 AM
I recently got one. Very glad I did. Great for massaging my back and legs. I also have a massage stick that I love just as much. Like Runty said it is a stick that has rollers on it so that you don't rub/chafe your skin off. A great tool.

Brian Hopper
05-22-2010, 10:19 AM
Bo, if I were you then I would get one. I haven't used mine long enough to see a huge difference, but it does make me feel good. It is definitley worth buying.

Brian Hopper
05-22-2010, 10:20 AM
Invest? I think I got my foam roller for less than $6.00.

Where did you find one for $6.00????????

ThomasG
05-22-2010, 10:56 AM
What are you investing in?

ScottYard
05-22-2010, 11:27 AM
Im a big fan. Raw squatting blows my itb bands up. The foam roller is the only thing that gets that soreness out of them.

Clover
05-22-2010, 11:38 AM
Its not like going to a massage therapist, but it costs $20 and you can really get some knots out with it.

bojackson
05-22-2010, 11:46 AM
thanks guys. excuse me for using the word invest. i wasnt trying to say it would "cost" a great deal. but im not gonna buy something and not use it, i got enough junk in my garage. plus the "boss" would kick my ***** if i bought another toy that i didnt use. thanks for the imput guys....

AJ Roberts
05-22-2010, 02:29 PM
Use mine everyday, really helps.

Fuzzy
05-25-2010, 03:22 AM
No way in hell I would train at the frequencies I do without my roller and massage. Absolutely essentiual piece of equipment everyone should own and use.

depotman
05-25-2010, 11:18 AM
^^ Agreed, really helps the soreness in my quads and hammy. I use it a few times a week at the very least. I also like using the tennis ball to loosen up my glutes. Both work great.