PDA

View Full Version : Who has a prowler?

gmen5681
05-22-2010, 04:00 PM
just wondering who here as a prowler and is it really better than just using a sled?

[R_H]
05-22-2010, 04:30 PM
just wondering who here as a prowler and is it really better than just using a sled?

As in better than pushing a sled (I could try to push one next time I go training and compare it to the Prowler)? I've only pulled a sled, and pushed a Prowler, but the Prowler is "nice" in that you can push from high, or from low (which is absolutely murderous).

gmen5681
05-22-2010, 06:33 PM
it seems like pushing a prowler is about the same as pulling a sled. obviously im wrong about that or else people would just be pulling a sled. what makes pushing so much different than pulling? that sounds idiotic, but it seems like it would be the same muscle group in each situation.

Steve Colescott
05-22-2010, 06:39 PM
I wish I had one. They look like a good time.

At my old place, I lived near an industrial complex. I would drive 200 yards, pop the flap down on my truck and unload the sled and a few 45s and some kettlebells. there was a huge 100x50 yard parking lot I would do my pulling in. I would warm-up with KB Swings, do some various KB exercises or just use them for added weight. I would walk forward and back, with the weight attached to my belt or ankles; do progressive rows or presses and then load it back up and take it back.

(Why use the truck? My neighbors already thought I was a weirdo. when people would drive through the industrial complex and see one lone sweat-covered person in ratty sweatpants dragging a home-welded chunk of steel with large metal bowling balls loaded on it, I would get enough weird looks and paused vehicles). The Prowler looks twice as fun.

gmen5681
05-22-2010, 07:32 PM
I wish I had one. They look like a good time.

At my old place, I lived near an industrial complex. I would drive 200 yards, pop the flap down on my truck and unload the sled and a few 45s and some kettlebells. there was a huge 100x50 yard parking lot I would do my pulling in. I would warm-up with KB Swings, do some various KB exercises or just use them for added weight. I would walk forward and back, with the weight attached to my belt or ankles; do progressive rows or presses and then load it back up and take it back.

(Why use the truck? My neighbors already thought I was a weirdo. when people would drive through the industrial complex and see one lone sweat-covered person in ratty sweatpants dragging a home-welded chunk of steel with large metal bowling balls loaded on it, I would get enough weird looks and paused vehicles). The Prowler looks twice as fun.

i get the same thing. there is a parking lot about the same size as you described behind the high school which is about 1/4 mile away. and i go over there and unload the tractor tire the sled and get out my sledge and people look at me like im from the movie The Crazies. lol

[R_H]
05-23-2010, 02:27 AM
it seems like pushing a prowler is about the same as pulling a sled. obviously im wrong about that or else people would just be pulling a sled. what makes pushing so much different than pulling? that sounds idiotic, but it seems like it would be the same muscle group in each situation.

Pushing a Prowler feels more difficult to me than pulling the same amount of weight on a sled. I'll compare the the two on Monday

Travis Bell
05-23-2010, 06:22 AM
Pushing the prowler is far more difficult than the sled. A few sets of sprints with the prowler and you're gasping for air.

I like the sled more for rehab stuff or different forms of low intensity GPP

IronDiggy
05-27-2010, 10:52 AM
Does anyone know how easily the prowler breaks down for storage? I have no room to keep a fully assembled prowler in my little place, but if it comes apart easily enough and can be stored in my trunk I may just have to get one instead of buying a sled.

gmen5681
05-27-2010, 12:19 PM
it looks like the econo prowler breaks down pretty easy. looks like 2 bolts that connect the T.
econo prowler (http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=114&pid=2294)

vdizenzo
05-27-2010, 12:29 PM
The first time I pushed the prowler, I was thinking what's the big deal. About ten seconds after walking away my lungs started searing. There is no comparison between dragging a sled and pushing a prowler. I'm not smart enough to know why, nor do I really care. I'll just do it because it sucks and I know the things that feel the worst are usually the ones that work the best.

ScottYard
05-27-2010, 12:53 PM
The prowler is bad ass. We use it year round. It is far better then a sled cardio wise. the prowler also has a eye hole in the front so you can drag it as a sled as well. Its good to have both at your disposal. I like the prowler for cardio and the sled for recovery

IronDiggy
05-27-2010, 02:18 PM
I may have to look into ordering a prowler then. Probably get a sled as well seeing as my benefits will pay for both anyway.

BCorn
05-27-2010, 02:31 PM
Cant say much about a prowler as i have never used one however we push vehicles on ocasion for conditioning and it's a heck of a workout.

gmen5681
05-27-2010, 02:58 PM
there is a welding shop here on base that im going to go and make my own prowler, its where i made my sled too. as much as i would love to give elite my business i just cant afford to buy it from them, especially when i can do it for 1/4 of the cost myself here on base.

texron
05-27-2010, 09:04 PM
I may have to look into ordering a prowler then. Probably get a sled as well seeing as my benefits will pay for both anyway.

You don't need a Prowler and a sled, I use the Prowler as a sled often, as someone else mentioned there is an eye in the front for attaching whatever.

IronDiggy
05-28-2010, 04:18 PM
You don't need a Prowler and a sled, I use the Prowler as a sled often, as someone else mentioned there is an eye in the front for attaching whatever.

the reason behind the sled would be I don't have to assemble it at all so I could just pull it out slap some weight on it and go.

gmen5681
05-28-2010, 06:15 PM
it only takes 2 bolts to assemble the prowler. well and insert the two horns.

texron
05-28-2010, 07:38 PM
it only takes 2 bolts to assemble the prowler. well and insert the two horns.

Yeah, takes me all of 20 seconds to turn it into a sled. Or not, you can just leave it as is and pull like that as well. This is truly a GREAT piece of equipment. Actually mine is a clone, but I only paid $150 for it. has held up over 2 years and MUCH abuse:evillaugh:

Clifford Gillmore
05-28-2010, 08:05 PM
I use both. I like the prowler push on the horns for an extra workout and the sled for re-hab/flushing.

Cmanuel
06-01-2010, 12:55 PM
just ordered my econo version from EFS. Can't wait for the pain