PDA

View Full Version : Farmers Walk Training

PolishPowerczyk
05-23-2010, 09:19 PM
I 'am just getting back into my farmers walk training and wondering how many times a week do most of you guys train with this ? How is the most efficient way to really kick start my FW ?

Tom Mutaffis
05-24-2010, 04:37 AM
I 'am just getting back into my farmers walk training and wondering how many times a week do most of you guys train with this ? How is the most efficient way to really kick start my FW ?

Are you using Farmers Walk to improve conditioning? Grip strength? Or for strongman competition?

PolishPowerczyk
05-24-2010, 09:04 PM
Are you using Farmers Walk to improve conditioning? Grip strength? Or for strongman competition?

I' am using farmers walk for grip strength and for strongman .

UHCougar05
05-25-2010, 07:35 AM
I usually trained farmers once a week and would alternate between light weight for distance (200'+), moderate weight for time (80-100' w/ turn), and heavy weight for distance.

Tom Mutaffis
05-25-2010, 07:47 AM
I' am using farmers walk for grip strength and for strongman .

Most people who do a lot of grip training seem to train frequently (3-4 times per week) although I would not recommend performing strongman events more than 1-2 times per week.

If you really wanted to focus on the Farmers Walk you could do Farmers Deadlift / Farmers Hold on one day (along with other pulling), then perform Farmers Walk on your event training day (speed/distance work). This would allow you to work your grip, the initial pickup, and also perform some speed work without overtraining.

As Chris mentioned it is usually beneficial to alternate between different ways of training the farmers; but this can depend on what you have coming up in terms of contests and your specific strengths or weaknesses.

PolishPowerczyk
05-25-2010, 09:54 PM
Most people who do a lot of grip training seem to train frequently (3-4 times per week) although I would not recommend performing strongman events more than 1-2 times per week.

If you really wanted to focus on the Farmers Walk you could do Farmers Deadlift / Farmers Hold on one day (along with other pulling), then perform Farmers Walk on your event training day (speed/distance work). This would allow you to work your grip, the initial pickup, and also perform some speed work without overtraining.

As Chris mentioned it is usually beneficial to alternate between different ways of training the farmers; but this can depend on what you have coming up in terms of contests and your specific strengths or weaknesses.

Thanks for your reply . Your knowledge is very respected .