PDA

View Full Version : low GI diet

gelong
05-24-2010, 06:32 AM
It is advised to eat low value GI foods - apparently a diet should mainly consist of food stuffs with a GI value of less than 56.

That seems simple enough however there is also GI loading; I am not sure what this is but it seems to suggest that quantity with reference to the GI value plays a part in the choice of foods. So a small quantity of a food with a high GI value is better than a large quantity of food with a low value. Or is it?

Furthermore the food mix seems to influence the GI value. Watermelon, with a high GI value, becomes a low GI food when it is eaten with (for instance) apple.

Maybe someone can clarify all this for me. Thank you.

Mercuryblade
05-24-2010, 08:45 AM
It is advised to eat low value GI foods - apparently a diet should mainly consist of food stuffs with a GI value of less than 56.

That seems simple enough however there is also GI loading; I am not sure what this is but it seems to suggest that quantity with reference to the GI value plays a part in the choice of foods. So a small quantity of a food with a high GI value is better than a large quantity of food with a low value. Or is it?

Furthermore the food mix seems to influence the GI value. Watermelon, with a high GI value, becomes a low GI food when it is eaten with (for instance) apple.

Maybe someone can clarify all this for me. Thank you.

GI is something that should be taken with a grain of salt.
I would avoid loading up on large quantities if high GI foods in a single sitting, unless you are intentionally trying to spike your insulin (post-workout for instance).

But you are correct, that fibrous (and fatty?) foods can slow the absorption of the glucose, so a "high GI food" can become a "medium" or a "low" food.

trentwalker
05-24-2010, 09:38 AM
Factors such as how the food is prepared, the presence of other nutrients (fiber, fat, protein), and the effects of previous meals all impact GI. Unless you are diabetic, I honestly wouldn't put too much weight into in

gelong
05-24-2010, 11:54 PM
I am not a diabetic however my blood sugar has risen to just under the normal upper limit so I am paying more attention to the GI factor.

Anyway working with the premise that food above 55 can have detrimental effects on blood sugar I have singled out the food items in my diet which I should avoid.

The list is not long; white bread (wholewheat bread here in Jakarta is hard to find, most of it is just white bread ingredients plus caramel or a little whole wheat to make it brown.)

I have replaced the bread with porridge oats - but the quaker oats I eat are quickcook oatmeal, maybe I should change to a more natural brand of oats.

Also the 4 ounces of white rice, papaya, and bananas are suspect. Strange that in a country that lives on rice there is no brown rice available in the shops.