PDA

View Full Version : Journal of a Slacking Lifter

Bob_1986
05-24-2010, 08:36 PM
I have been lifting on and off, mostly off, for the last eight years. Through ignorance, injuries, heavy school work loads, and just downright laziness I have stagnated and have never been able to break through the beginning lifters level. This journal is an affirmation to myself to stay motivated, stay on track and achieve my goals.

Goal: To lower my body fat percentage and increase my strength and muscle mass. (I know that goals are supposed to be specific but at the moment I am happy as long as I can see a downward trend in my body fat percentage and an upward trend in my strength and muscle mass.)

Or should I create mini goals? I would love to be able to keep track of my body fat percentage but I do not own anything that can measure it, I am also a member of Golds Gym and they can not measure it either. I would watch my weight, but weight does not really mean much.

I am doing program 2 A-B-A-B

I have done the first two days of the program and here is where I am at...
Bench: 125 (6RM)
Squat: 155 (6RM)
Dead lift: 125 (6RM)

Weight: 196.9
Height: 5'7
Body Fat: 20-25%

Before pictures to follow soon.

Off Road
05-24-2010, 10:34 PM
Welcome aboard Bob. Glad you joined us in here.

Joe Black
05-25-2010, 01:58 AM
Good to have you here.

The biggest AHA moment I had in the last 5 years in respect to lifting was to focus on ONE goal and let the others truly be secondary goals.

For the last 6 months I have focused purely on getting lean and sure, I am hitting the gym hard and trying to get stronger, but ultimately as long as I am getting lighter and leaner, my goal is being achieved.

If you set your diet up well, eat good, clean foods and have a good pre and post workout meal/shake you can progress strength-wise whilst cutting, I know I have. But just don;t beat yourself up if you don't, particularly as you get depeer into the cut.

if you need any help with diet, just let me know!

Bob_1986
07-18-2010, 07:58 PM
Here is an update of my most current training session.

The first number denotes the weight used and the second number denotes the number of repetitions done.
Squat 45-6, 95-6, 110-6, 125-6, 140-6, 155-6, 170-6, 185-6,2,2,2
Deadlift 45-6, 65-6, 95-6, 110-6, 125-6,2,2,2
Calf raise 210-6, 240-6, 270-6, 300-6, 330-6, 360-6, 390-6,2,2,2
Bicep Curl 7.5-6, 12.5-6, 17.5-6, 22.5-6, 27.5-6, 30-6, 32.5-5,2,2,2
Ab Rocker (machine) 4 sets of 6 with straight abs and then about 3 sets of 6 with the seat pivoted 75 degrees to the left and the right

I have seen some gains in strength mostly in my Bench and Squat. Two days ago I was able to do 1 rep of 160lbs with the bench (a new personal best) and last week I was able to do 1 squat of 200lbs (another best). I am still struggling with the deadlift. I don't know what it is about the motion but I don't like it. I would almost guarantee that I am doing it incorrectly because I am feeling it very strongly in my back. My nutrition is still no where near what it should be, too much crap incoming. Weight remains at 196 back up from a low a month ago of 190. I am really liking this program, though I have not been able to follow it to a T. I have probably missed about 15% of the workouts I should have done.

Now that I have the routine down and I am seeing some gains in strength I would like to add in some cardio to help burn some extra calories. I was planning on doing half an hour each day after weight lifting, switching off between treadmill and elliptical every other day. I also need to get much much better with my nutrition. I know my protein intake is nowhere near where it should be. I eat too many carbs and probably fats too. Tomorrow I have the day off and I will devote a few hours to exploring the Hypertrophy Cluster Training (HCT-12) - Nutritional Program and other WBB posts on nutrition and creating a plan that hopefully I will be able to follow.

Damn you pizza and your deliciousness!

Though my body fat numbers are not going down I am gaining strength and I am so far happy with HCT-12.