PDA

View Full Version : Food Combining - any thoughts?

dirty-c
05-25-2010, 11:17 AM
For those not familiar with it, Food Combining is the theory that different food groups require different digestion times, and that digestion is helped the most by using foods which have roughly the same digestion time.

The principles of food combining are dictated by digestive chemistry. Different foods require different digestive enzymes to aid in the digestive process - some acid, some alkaline. As any student of chemistry will assure you, acids and bases (alkalis) neutralize each other. When acids and alkalines come in contact, they neutralize each other and this severly stunts digestion.

Protein foods require a highly acidic environment for digestion while carbohydrates (starches, fruit and sugars) and fats require a more alkaline medium. Anytime 2 or more foods are eaten at the same time, and those foods require opposite conditions for digestion, the digestive process is compromised.

When starches and proteins are combined their stimulation to the digestive juices generates a conflicting response and produces a medium which does not digest either food very well. This situation often leads to indigestion, bloating, gas, abdominal discomfort, and poor absorption of nutrients. Any quick digesting foods - such as fruit - must wait until the slowest digesting foods leave the stomach before they can leave - a process which can take up to 6 or 8 hours. While waiting, the fruit and some of the starches undergo some decomposition and fermentation, producing gas, acid and even alcohol along with indigestion.

This exercept taken from http://www.healingdaily.com/detoxification-diet/food-combining.htm

The reason I bring this topic up is because this advice seems to run contrary to everything I've ever read about bodybuilding nutrition. Everything I've ever read says that combining fats, proteins, and carbs at every meal is required in order to keep your body's reactions (blood sugar, insulin, protein synthesis rates, etc) at the proper levels. So, I've been eating protein, healthy fats, and healthy carbs at every meal for months now. The problem is I've been having ***incredibly*** bad gas ever since I started doing this religiously. I mean like "peel the paint off the walls" bad. And not just incredibly smelly either, also frequent. I'm passing gas like every 5 minutes.

You seriously won't find a "cleaner" diet anywhere than mine: I don't eat bread (not even whole wheat), I eat tons of low GI fruits and vegetables (especially dark green vegetables like spinach, kale, collard greens, broccoli, etc), I eat lots of tuna, egg whites, salmon, chicken breats, almonds, walnuts, and olive oil. I supplement with ultra high purity fish oil capsules.

I'm doing everything right "on paper" - but it's giving me incredible, frequent, rancid gas.
The "food combination theorists" would clearly tell me that it's because I'm combining acid with alkaline foods; that I'm combining slow digesting foods with quick digesting foods. To them the answer is clear, but to the bodybuilding (and most mainstream nutrition for that mater) community I'm doing everything right.

What the h*** is going on here?
Does anybody else get bad gas from eating extremely healthy?

aarenlainey
05-26-2010, 03:18 AM
I do find that mixing melons makes for stomach pain and crappier digestion. I also get an unpleasant sensation from mixing acid and sweet fruits. Food combination is definitely less important to me than what type of food I select, but it is relevant.