PDA

View Full Version : westside and overhead pressing

zk001
05-27-2010, 03:57 AM
hi,

I remember Louie telling in diofferent interviews over past years that overhead pressing is not necessary .... "our strongest benchers do no overhead work" ...... "all delt work should be raises" etc, etc.

Recently, it seems, more westsiders do some overhead work (AJ, Travis, ...).

Why is that? What Louie's reasoning now behind the added overhead pressing.

Just curios, no offense or criticizing Louie, he's the man.

thank you for input

zk

vdizenzo
05-27-2010, 05:40 AM
In one of the earlier Westside manuals overhead lockouts were one of the choices for ME bench. I will not speak for Louie, but maybe he meant they are not a weekly requirement.

I know a lot of guys think they get enough delt work from bench pressing, but I don't agree. I think it is my overhead pressing that has moved my bench along. It has also helped keep my shoulders healthy. Keep in mind, for the most part, I never allow the bar to go beneath my chins. I find once I go lower than that I start getting too much rotation.

Travis Bell
05-27-2010, 06:10 AM
Keep in mind, for the most part, I never allow the bar to go beneath my chins. I find once I go lower than that I start getting too much rotation.

haha I lol'd

As far as overhead pressing and Westside, it fluctuates. It's not a program that just stays the same all the time.

When Westside first began, overhead work was a staple, then we just got out of it for awhile, now we're slowly incorporating it again.

zk001
05-27-2010, 07:16 AM
haha I lol'd

As far as overhead pressing and Westside, it fluctuates. It's not a program that just stays the same all the time.

When Westside first began, overhead work was a staple, then we just got out of it for awhile, now we're slowly incorporating it atain.

all clear now, thanks a lot for replies.

zk

Lones Green
05-27-2010, 12:29 PM
I think thats one thing a lot of people have trouble with when studying Westside. They say Lou contradicts himself in his articles, but they don't understand its always changing. The same thing doesn't work forever, for everyone.

You can look at AJ and Travis both, they try different things to see if they work for them. I know AJ has said he's seen speed bench in shirts, Travis has done reps of 5 on speed bench, sometimes the weight is pushed on dynamic effort squat day, when I was there I saw a lot of different things Lou was trying out. Who knows if they worked, its worth the process of things not working to find the things that do work.

If you think of Lou's articles as documentation of what's been going on over the years they make a lot more sense.

IronDiggy
05-27-2010, 01:27 PM
I need to fluctuate my OHP more. I just do standard military presses for sets of 5 once a week...

robchris
05-27-2010, 05:28 PM
I do the WSB template and I do OHP roughly every other week... But as the OP stated Louie suggested mostly side & rear lateral raises. WSB is always evolving though so this may be something I incorporate at some point in time.

I think its a matter of preference... I feel I get enough shoulder work from BP twice a week!

However, I do Inclines as well so that hits the delts pretty hard also.

NickAus
06-02-2010, 04:38 PM
Best to try it out and see for yourself if it helps, there are huge benchers who do lots of heavy overheads and huge benchers who do none.