PDA

View Full Version : What does everyone do on their lower assistance / speed days?

martin
05-28-2010, 03:26 AM
Been putting my training plan together and looking for ideas.

I train lower (sq+dl) on Tues and Fridays. Friday is max effort which I will be doing some sort of squat variation, followed by either a pull (partial or defeceit) or GM for sets of 3, then abs, lower back and obliques/adductors.

Tuesday I'm not so sure on. I haven't got the people to train with to do speed squats really. My squat has come on ok without in the past 12 months or so. I went through a phase of doing speed deadlifts so my go back to these.

Any other things people do that they have found worked well?

NickAus
05-28-2010, 04:22 AM
I have found these things great on Speed lower day:

Heavy side bends
Hanging band abs
Good mornings lighter for sets of 8-10
Pull throughs
Shrugs
Hex holds

Speed squats to a low box and speed pulls have both helped heaps

martin
05-31-2010, 06:39 AM
Cheers for the reply Nick.

What kind of rep ranges do you use?

Travis - I think I read that you said the bigger the contrast between ME and RE/DE days the better? Is that true for lower work too? So higher rep/ high volume on DE day an then high intensity / low reps on Max day?

Vince148
05-31-2010, 07:17 AM
Because of age and recovery, I do kettlebells. Various swings and snatches with single or double kettlebells.

douglasoh5
05-31-2010, 08:25 AM
On your ME day i would only max out on one movement. If you want to do another core/compound movent use higher reps. Like nick said with the higher rep gms work great as a second movment

NickAus
06-01-2010, 12:15 AM
Cheers for the reply Nick.

What kind of rep ranges do you use?

?

For the side bends and hanging band abs I do sets of 8-30 mostly heavy 10s
Goodmornings 8-10 light mostly
Pull throughs 8-15
Shrugs I go low reps one week ,high reps the next- sets of 30 seem to be building size

Everyone is different but this is working for me

NickAus
06-01-2010, 12:26 AM
Huge total by the way!!

Travis Bell
06-01-2010, 08:06 AM
Travis - I think I read that you said the bigger the contrast between ME and RE/DE days the better? Is that true for lower work too? So higher rep/ high volume on DE day an then high intensity / low reps on Max day?

Well not necessairly the bigger the contrast the better, but there does need to be a difference.

Higher volume on DE day and light weights, lower volume on ME day with the heavy weights.

martin
06-01-2010, 01:23 PM
Because of age and recovery, I do kettlebells. Various swings and snatches with single or double kettlebells.

I have been using some kettlebells on and off for a few years now. Just started doing swings outside the body and they seem to be helping my rotational spine strength / obliques alot. Not sure how well this will carryover to Sq and DL but time will tell.

Well not necessairly the bigger the contrast the better, but there does need to be a difference.

Higher volume on DE day and light weights, lower volume on ME day with the heavy weights.

Thanks. So sticking to under 8-10 on ME day and over 12-15 on DE day isn't a bad idea?

Travis Bell
06-01-2010, 02:40 PM
Thanks. So sticking to under 8-10 on ME day and over 12-15 on DE day isn't a bad idea?

For accessory work, correct

ehubbard
06-02-2010, 08:08 AM
Pause Squats, 2-3 sets of 5 as assistance.

BloodandThunder
06-02-2010, 11:33 AM
When I'm on a westside split, I usually do the following after Box Squats:
Speed Pulls for singles or Deadlift variation for higher reps (partials, SLDLs, Romanians)
If no pulling that week, seated GMs (I would do reverse hypers but don't have access to a decent one)
Unilateral leg work (reverse db lunge off deficit, step ups)
Quad work (single legged leg press off bottom, backwards sled drags)
Side DB Bends or Grappler (I do weighted situps on ME Lower and AB Wheel, Hanging Raises on Upper days)

I might add extra glute work or thick bar pullups/chinups depending on where I am and how much volume I need

AJ Roberts
06-02-2010, 11:40 AM
Pretty much this

speed pulls or rack pulls for reps
reverse hypers
glute ham or other leg curl stuff
abs

We just got adduction/abbduction machines though so i'll be doing these every lower body day as well.

KarlMarx
06-02-2010, 01:04 PM
GM
Seated GM
Front leg elevated lunge
Rear leg elevated lunge
Step ups with the barbell
Pull throughs
DB Swing (I don't have kettlebells)
Wrap two green bands end to end and put one around waist and the other on the volleyball net and do sets of sprints in the gym.

I wish I had a Glute ham Raise machine or a reverse hyper :(

KarlMarx
06-02-2010, 01:04 PM
Also,
RDL...

3whitelights
06-06-2010, 09:12 PM

Gawd, I've been wondering about this for a while, going back and forth in my head. Thanks for this.

Clifford Gillmore
06-07-2010, 12:55 AM
Pretty much this

speed pulls or rack pulls for reps
reverse hypers
glute ham or other leg curl stuff
abs

This as well, I think Travis has me doing speed pulls in various rep ranges +/- racks/chains/bands.