PDA

View Full Version : What other exercises for big deadlift?

The Dare Devil
05-29-2010, 09:06 PM
What are some good exercises to increase your dl? (besides doing deadlifts of course) My goal is to add 100lbs by 2011. Should I be maxing out? at least once a month?

douglasoh5
05-29-2010, 09:28 PM
rack pulls...rack pulls with bands....block pulls...defecit pulls....opposite your normal stance pulling. no real need to max on a normal dead. if your doing westside stuff just pick a random dl movement 3 out of ever 5 ME days and max out on it. and do speed pulls with your opposite stance after speed squats if your doing wesside stuff. just make sure you work all parts/muscles of the lift

jtteg_x
05-29-2010, 10:33 PM
to add what above poster said: good mornings and glute ham raise (GHR). prioritize accordingly based on your weak points.

chris mason
05-29-2010, 10:41 PM
Good mornings are also excellent. They should be used in rotation with deads, not in addition to in the same workout.

Lones Green
05-29-2010, 11:30 PM
All of the above are awesome. I'd like to add safety bar stuff to the list, squats off a low box with close and wide stance, also the SSB makes goodmornings even harder.

thegreatone
05-30-2010, 04:07 AM
Good mornings are also excellent. They should be used in rotation with deads, not in addition to in the same workout.

I believe Sheiko has them on the same day as DL but recommends the wt be 40% of you 1RM for 5's.

The Dare Devil
05-30-2010, 08:51 AM
thanks fellas

Dave Schwab
05-30-2010, 06:25 PM
Several variations of good mornings will really help. I prefer to use the cambered bar suspended in chains, to me it mimics the DL more closely than full range GM's, since both chain suspended and deadlift start at the bottom. A Zercher harness GM would be similar, starting low on pins. We do these movements on our assistance day, and pull weekly on our main squat day, typically rotating speed pulls against bands 1 out of every 3 weeks. Not everyone has it, but the Powerpohl really works as well, we usually do this on squat day when we don't pull heavy.

rinse
05-30-2010, 10:43 PM
Several variations of good mornings will really help. I prefer to use the cambered bar suspended in chains, to me it mimics the DL more closely than full range GM's, since both chain suspended and deadlift start at the bottom. A Zercher harness GM would be similar, starting low on pins. We do these movements on our assistance day, and pull weekly on our main squat day, typically rotating speed pulls against bands 1 out of every 3 weeks. Not everyone has it, but the Powerpohl really works as well, we usually do this on squat day when we don't pull heavy.

How often do you pull heavy on your main squat day?

robchris
05-31-2010, 08:24 AM
rinse,

I do speed pulls after ME sqauts, then alternate the following week w/ Heavy DL and speed squats or box sqauts.

I do a true max DL about once a month... Seems to work for me. On other days I'm doin' either good mornings, SLDL, GHR, pull-thrus, etc.

All good assistance exercises for the DL.

joey54
05-31-2010, 08:42 AM
Front Squats, Safety Bar Squats, and Oly Squats on top of what has already been mentioned.

Vince148
05-31-2010, 09:10 AM
I SQ/DL one day a week. I squat every week, but pull every 2 weeks. Right now, I am doing a 3 week wave, ie. go up for 3 weeks, then drop down and start over for 3 weeks. Top set is for 5 reps. Then I subtract 10% from the top weight and do 5 reps. That's it. Total is only about 5-6 sets which is about all I can handle after heavy squatting.

My "speed" day is all kettlebells. A variety of swings and snatches with single and double kettlebells a la Donnie Thompson.

My deadlift has been my weakest lift. At my last meet in September, I pulled 418 in full gear. Since starting my progressive wave work, I pulled 405 in just a loose pair of briefs a couple of months ago. My best max effort to date is 355x5 in looses briefs.

So while the verdict is still not in, my program does seem to be allowing me to continue to progress.

AJ Roberts
06-01-2010, 06:37 AM
ultra wide sumo deadlifts and ultra wide sumo stiff leg deadlifts - they build the **** out of your hips and help we both sumo and conventional

tnathletics2b
06-01-2010, 06:59 AM
+1 to the good mornings. Helped me out a lot.

mchicia1
06-01-2010, 07:38 AM
Good mornings and ab work added about 50 pounds to my deadlift in 2 months.

Tom Mutaffis
06-01-2010, 09:17 AM
Everyone seems to have good carryover from Good Mornings, I guess that I need to start doing them.

My sticking point used to be from the floor and Front Squats really helped with that.

I have also heard very good things about pulling against bands.

rinse
06-01-2010, 12:59 PM
ultra wide sumo deadlifts and ultra wide sumo stiff leg deadlifts - they build the **** out of your hips and help we both sumo and conventional

How do you do these? Reps, sets? Which day?

frankf79
06-01-2010, 01:07 PM
I do heavy Deadlift variation ( Rack pulls from just below knee, deficit deadlift and deadlift with chains ) every other week. On the alternate week I do either Good M's for reps or for a 3/5RM. Works for this old goat. Interesting enough the rack pulls help my good m's and when my good m's go up, everthing goes up.

Dave Schwab
06-04-2010, 07:52 PM

About 2 out of every 3 weeks will be a heavy pull. Not necessarily to a max, but somewhere 80% plus, using bands, from pins, plates elevated on mats, etc.

muscle_g
06-05-2010, 09:13 AM
I like doing these exercises

Reverse-Band Pulls
Rack Pulls(mid-shin heigth)
Deficit Pulls
Deadlifts off the floor(both conv & sumo)
Suspended SSB Good Mornings(every 3rd week)
Lots of heavy Ab/low back work
Upper Back work
Hip/Glute work

I feel these have really helped my deadlifts in the past year or so because they have really been moving up in weight. I deadlift 2 weeks on and 1 week off on my squat day

BloodandThunder
06-05-2010, 01:38 PM
Lots of good stuff in here, but unless you're a newbie at pulling, try to have someone evaluate your form and where your weakest point is. Then find some exercises that can serve as indicators...for instance if you're weakest area is mid knee to lockout, any increase in 1RM in reverse band deadlifts, block pulls from right below your weakness, and band pulls will indicate you've gotten stronger. Also, pick 3-4 assistance exercises you absolutely hate and work them to death. Hate Olympic Squats and suck at them? Work them hard and watch your conventional pull fly up.

You definitely can't neglect rows, chinups and pullups, face pulls and shrugs for a monster back either

chris mason
06-05-2010, 02:02 PM
I believe Sheiko has them on the same day as DL but recommends the wt be 40% of you 1RM for 5's.

Sure, that can be done. I was referring to ME style training.

SELK
06-06-2010, 11:38 AM
I attribute about 95% of my deadlift progress to just pulling heavy off the floor and constantly changing the volume and intensity, but last meet I put in some pulls against bands and they helped my lockout.

I am not really built to pull, so getting in that deadlift work week after week has forced me to improve my technique and learn how to actually transfer force into the bar more efficiently.

Rugby Dad
06-06-2010, 02:42 PM
some of you mentioned Defecit Pulls, what are those?
if you mean pulling while standing on a raised block, I been doing those.

Liftersize
06-06-2010, 04:33 PM
some of you mentioned Defecit Pulls, what are those?
if you mean pulling while standing on a raised block, I been doing those.

yeah thats a deficit pull

AJ Roberts
06-08-2010, 07:33 AM
How do you do these? Reps, sets? Which day?

No set plan just mix it in on ME and DE days. ME work up to max, DE do singles or triple 6-8 sets.

rinse
06-08-2010, 09:11 AM
No set plan just mix it in on ME and DE days. ME work up to max, DE do singles or triple 6-8 sets.

Thank you. Would you say they help the lockout in conventional style deads?

AJ Roberts
06-08-2010, 08:46 PM
Thank you. Would you say they help the lockout in conventional style deads?

More than anything else i do except maybe Reverse Hypers.

IronDiggy
06-09-2010, 09:00 AM
I'm going to start adding those in once in a while. My deadlift blows and really needs some work.