PDA

View Full Version : deadlift grip question

Counterweight
05-31-2010, 04:17 PM
I've been using mixed grip with my deadlifts for the past month or so that I've been doing HCT-12. My deadlift has gone from 255 to 295, so I don't really see that there's an issue, but one of the teachers that works out after school said that if I used mixed grip I run the risk of pulling harder to one side and injuring my back. Is this true? Should I really just be using a regular grip?

Hemi Powered
05-31-2010, 04:53 PM
I've been using mixed grip with my deadlifts for the past month or so that I've been doing HCT-12. My deadlift has gone from 255 to 295, so I don't really see that there's an issue, but one of the teachers that works out after school said that if I used mixed grip I run the risk of pulling harder to one side and injuring my back. Is this true? Should I really just be using a regular grip?

By mixed grip you mean alternate grip, yes

This grip has been used for decades with no clear evidence of it causing injury, however it stands to reason it won't stress the muscles the same for both sides.
I use straps or hook grip so I can pull double OH, this also eliminates a torque that is generated by the Alter-grip.
If you have a grip problem you should either add some grip training or go strapless to keep your grip strength in pace with your DL strength gains, if not straps are a good option.
For events I will pull alternate grip but the bulk of my training is double OH bc I believe its the best method for me.

seK
05-31-2010, 04:56 PM

The only way you are going to hurt your back using a mixed grip style or even using a regular grip is if your form is incorrect. You can easily self police this by watching your lift in the mirror; if the bar is parallel with the ground you are fine.
When I first started lifting I had issues with bar roll and a mixed grip was the perfect solution, in the end I always suggest people try both of a period of time and stick with whatever they are most comfortable with.

gmen5681
05-31-2010, 04:58 PM
you should use a double over hand grip all the way up until your grip is to weak to hold the bar then switch to an alternate grip. i use to always pull with an alternate grip every time but then i went to pull double overhand and my grip sucked, so now i only do double overhand until its a PR or my grip fails.

Travis Bell
05-31-2010, 05:21 PM
Personally i think your teacher is full of it.

Counterweight
05-31-2010, 05:35 PM
thanks Travis, I was sort of biting my tongue as he was saying that. Then he watched my pull my last cluster with double overhand, I sorta wanted to tell him to stick it in his you know what..but alas I am too polite to say anything and just did it.

Tom Mutaffis
05-31-2010, 08:42 PM

Do you alternate your over/under hands? With mixed grip you can risk rupturing your bicep; training with the same over/under hands consistently could lead to imbalances or injuries.

What I will typically do is use a mixed grip up until my maximal effort sets and then add straps. You can always do some timed hangs, dumbbell holds, or barbell holds in the rack for additional grip work if you would like (supporting grip).

SELK
05-31-2010, 09:37 PM
I think the underhand grip is more likely to get injured, most bicep tears are on the underhand grip and I feel it was a reason that I partially tore my left lat.

I use straps for about 95% of my deadlift training, it works for me.

Phenom
05-31-2010, 10:46 PM
If your form isn't too good (mainly if you try jerking the bar off the ground), I could see how you might strain or tear a muscle. However, using proper form you don't lift the bar with the muscles in your arms anyway, so injury would be much less of a possibility. I've been using an alternate grip without switching my over/under hand for about 4 years so far and haven't had any problems at all.

JK1
05-31-2010, 11:17 PM
thanks Travis, I was sort of biting my tongue as he was saying that. Then he watched my pull my last cluster with double overhand, I sorta wanted to tell him to stick it in his you know what..but alas I am too polite to say anything and just did it.

It isn't worth it to get into it with him......

I spent years using the wrong bench press form for my body because of what a high school teacher taught me and to this day I feel like I still haven't figured out deadlifts Keep an open mind as you learn. You will only get stronger.