PDA

View Full Version : Here we go...

Big Jake
06-01-2010, 01:25 PM
My names Jake, I'm 24, 6'2'', 255lbs, around 29-30% body fat. I would say its actually a bit less, just because of my stature. So that's me, physically...

... On December 12th 2009, I broke my arm while arm wrestling, snapped my right humerus in half just above my elbow. So, I went to the emergency room, got all 'medicated' even though it didn't hurt, maybe that was just adrenalin making the pain subside. They tried to realign it, but could only do so much because of where the break was and how it broke... I wen't to my fathers doctor, he happens to specialize in hand/arm/shoulder surgery. He said I had two options, either try our best and see if it would set by its self or have surgery. We decided to let it try and set by its self... didn't work, haha. So I had surgery January 6th, 2010. That month or so before surgery of my arm just dangling there in an arm sling was hell.

After surgery, I was lucky enough to get about a foot long incision from my elbow up along the bottom of my arm around my tricep, and I had 1 titanium plate and 13 titanium screws inserted into my body that will be there until the day I die. I wen't through about 2 months of physical therapy, about 2 or 3 days a week not including stuff I did at home. I was willing to, and did, anything and everything in my power to get back into the gym. I had started going to the gym for about 2 months before I broke my arm with a buddy of mine that is a personal trainer (hes in Alaska right now fishing until october). So, breaking my arm was a huge letdown in my eyes, that was the only thing I was thinking about when I broke it. That I wasn't going to be able to lift weight or drive my car (5 speed manual), sad times, haha, and it was, really.

Anyways, I said all of that to say that I'm back, and I'm 110% dedicated to bettering my physical self as well as the mental boost that comes along with it.

I've been doing some light lifting for the past month or so, just to condition my arm slowly, and it feels friggin fantastic. Much more then I ever thought it would of. Almost feels like it never even broke, other then the huge scar and scar tissue that is left over, but that'll fill out with some muscle givin the time to do so.

About a week ago, I started to lift heavy, and I'm chugging along quite well.

So, from here on out, I'll post everything that I have done with this HCT-12 training daily. I'll follow it as close as I can, but sometimes I can't get to some of the free weights that I would like to use in the gym and my training partner isn't around right now to spot me, so I have to use some of the machines, just for the safety factor.

I'm starting out with the A-B-A-B schedule.

I would very much appreciate anything anyone has to say, good or bad, I'm used to being the new guy, so BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big Jake
06-01-2010, 01:48 PM
Friday, 5/28/10

Vertical Pulling - Lat Pull down

140lbs, 6 reps, twice
150lbs, 6 reps, twice

Horizontal Pulling - Low Row

120lbs, 6 reps, once
140lbs, 6 reps, twice
160lbs, 6 reps, once

Horizontal Press - Bench (machine)

220lbs, 6 reps, twice
250lbs, 6 reps, 3 times

Vertical Press - Shoulder press (machine)

140lbs, 6 reps, 3 times

Triceps Exercise - Dips (machine)

I believe it was 170lbs, 6 or 7 reps, 3 times

I forgot to mark down in my phone the reps on this Dips workout, the gym was full of nothing but A-holes and elbows if you know what I mean, so I was trying to get out of there.

I also walk/jog 2.5 miles each way to the gym and back, so that's 5 miles a day, even on off days I'll still walk to the gym and see a few friends on the way or that are already there... So, I do that 7 days a week and I love it, its the warm up and cool down, and it's really my only ME time other then when I'm at the gym. The woman and friends hold too many distractions for me. So I look forward to treking to the gym daily, gives me time to think and recalculate things without distractions.

Also, I know it's kinda vague, but if you see anything I'm doing wrong, please say something!

Big Jake
06-01-2010, 01:55 PM
Sunday, 5/30/10

Quad dominant - Leg Press

400lbs, 12 reps, 4 sets

Hip dominant - Rack pulls

I was going to do rack pulls, but couldn't get to the machine when I wanted to, so I did this back extension machine that work the same muscles... (I think, I'm still learning, haha). I forget the weight, but I was able to do 20 of them in a row, took a break and did 20 more. The machine was maxed out, so I'll get the weight next time Im there.

Calf Exercise

Didn't do calves(sp?), I walk to the gym daily and my legs are already pretty big and muscular from carrying around 250 lbs for the better part of about 8 years now. But I will do them eventually, once my body can handle walking/jogging 5 miles a day and then be able to also work them out.

Biceps Exercise - Curls (machine)

80lbs, 6 reps, 3 times
90lbs, 6 reps, once

Abs - I do ab work all the time, I'll start writing down what I do. But when I work them, I spend about 15-20 minutes working just my abs, so they get a good workout, I can feel it the next day or two like right now... haha.

So, that's that so far, I still have a lot to learn, so feel free to say anything you want!

Big Jake
06-01-2010, 02:00 PM
Ohhh, and I also do a TON of grip training.

Captains of crush #1.5, I can do about 15 reps on that one, and about 1 clean rep on the #2. That is right handed, can't do the #1.5 with the left yet, almost can, maybe a 1/4 inch away, so actually that's not close at all to those who know and use them, haha.

But I also use a few others that aren't CoC, they lighter trainers. Not sure of the pressure of them but I can bang out about 100 reps on it before 100% failure and my forearm is rock hard and I can't make a fist, haha.

sean.peters
06-01-2010, 02:03 PM
Good luck, man. Glad the arm repair went well.

Big Jake
06-01-2010, 02:04 PM
Good luck, man. Glad the arm repair went well.

Thanks!

It's gone far better then I ever thought it would!

Good luck to you too!

tomsids
06-01-2010, 03:00 PM
It sounds like you’re fairly new to weight training (as am I), so my only suggestions would be to follow the HCT-12 training guidelines as closely as you can, and stay away from machines whenever possible. You may have to switch your exercises around while you’re waiting for the free weights to open up, but you’ll be engaging more muscle fibers, and the wider range of motion will promote more balanced growth.
TB

Big Jake
06-01-2010, 03:28 PM
It sounds like you’re fairly new to weight training (as am I), so my only suggestions would be to follow the HCT-12 training guidelines as closely as you can, and stay away from machines whenever possible. You may have to switch your exercises around while you’re waiting for the free weights to open up, but you’ll be engaging more muscle fibers, and the wider range of motion will promote more balanced growth.
TB

Thanks!

Yeah, I'll need to do some more reading on the program once I get home tonight. I'll probably read it two or three times before I finally get the slightest hold of it, haha.

And yeah, sometimes at my gym, the place is super packed, almost to the point where you would think that who ever is in charge would think about having to start limiting access or memberships, or both. The machines seem to be used less, probably for the reasons you stated, but I still try and get to the free weights as often as I can.

Big Jake
06-02-2010, 09:21 AM
Didn't have enough time last night to do any reading on the program, so I know I'm doing the sets a bit wrong, but I'll fix that in a day or two.

Vertical Pulling - Lat pull down

140lbs, 6 reps, twice
150lbs, 6 reps, 3 times

Horizontal Pulling - Iso Row

140lbs, 6 reps, twice
150lbs, 6 reps, 3 times

Horizontal Press - Bench (free weights)

I was only able to do the bar + 90 lbs, I figured it would of been about this low, not sure why on the machine I can do 250lbs no problem, might be stability or something. Before I broke my arm I was able to do about 170 with the free weights, so I guess I'm going to have to build back up to where I was. But I also did bench press last and maybe I was struggling because of fatigue? I don't know

135lbs, 6 reps, 3 times

Vertical Press - Shoulder press

140lbs, 6 reps, 4 times

Triceps Exercise - Dips (machine)

170lbs, 6 reps, 4 times

And another 4.5mile (2.25 miles each way, almost exactly) jog to the gym and back. Brought my GPS with me this time, haha.

Big Jake
06-02-2010, 10:08 AM
edit1: Weighed myself yesterday, 255 lbs. Only going to weight myself about once a week. and I'll post that here, probably on mondays.

My diet is pretty good, I don't have an exact diet yet, I'm still working on that.

I eat very consistently, but I don't think I'm eating enough though. I wan't to lose weight, I'm in no way starving myself, but I assume I'm only eating, from a rough estimate, maybe 1800-2000 calories a day. So I assume I'm probably going to lose a bit of muscle, but it'll be worth it for now. I would like to get down to 200 lbs and go from there. I don't think I'll ever wan't to be below 200lbs just because if I keep lifting, once I cut off some weight, being 6'2'' I know I'm just somewhat of a big guy.

My diet consists of:

Multi vitamin
Fish oil
Calcium supplement (for my broke arm, doc recommended it. I never really drank milk as a kid, I was always drinking water, so I may have a calcium deficiency)
Gallon + of water daily and that's being conservative
Muscle milk powder, I think it's 26g of protein /serving, I mix it with water only
Chicken breasts, frozen, cheaper that way :D CostCo saves me so much money, it's ridiculous
Whole wheat bread
Carrots
Sliced chicken breast for sandwiches
1 banana daily
Loads of cottage cheese (low fat, no sodium added, I think it's only 80mg of sodium per serving)

That's pretty much what I eat, I'll start tracking what I eat daily and when I eat it. I don't really consume anything other then what is listed above. I eat about every 3 or so hours, just small meals. I tend to not eat at night, I guess it just a habit of mine, most of my calorie intake is during the day. Never hungry at night and I got out of the habit of eating at night.

I think nutrition is what I'm going to need to learn the most about. I just need to workout a daily meal plan that I can eat consistently.

Big Jake
06-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Didn't have a lot of time for this gym this day, plus it was packed.

Bench

45lbs x 6
95lbs x 6
135lbs x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Cable crunches

150lbs x 20
150lbs x 25

I guess I needed to use another machine with more weight, because It was maxed at 150lbs and it wasn't all that challenging

Curl (bar, not machine)

50lbs x 6
70lbs x 6 x 2 x 2 x 2

Legpress

400lbs x 20
400lbs x 25

So, I'm still figuring out what my body can handle, but I'm getting there.

J.C.
06-03-2010, 11:49 AM
That's cool you're back to training. I've had some relatively minor issues with my wrist and shoulder so your story makes me realize how I easy I've had it. At the end of my physiotherapy I was referred to a hand surgeon but I'm hoping I don't have to do that.

And be careful with the scar tissue! Do all you can to get rid of it. I broke my wrist about 7 years ago and my physio discovered I still had scar tissue around the bones that was impairing movement.

Big Jake
06-03-2010, 02:54 PM
That's cool you're back to training. I've had some relatively minor issues with my wrist and shoulder so your story makes me realize how I easy I've had it. At the end of my physiotherapy I was referred to a hand surgeon but I'm hoping I don't have to do that.

And be careful with the scar tissue! Do all you can to get rid of it. I broke my wrist about 7 years ago and my physio discovered I still had scar tissue around the bones that was impairing movement.

Yeah, actually, my arm break was really bad. I mean it broke clean, I'll put up some pictures once I find out how to do it, haha. It just snapped in two, sounded like someone broke a broom stick over their knee.

I had never previously broke a bone, not even a toe or anything, but from what I know, I think I got away pretty lucky in the healing aspect of things. To tell you the truth, it doesn't even feel like I ever broke it, no pain after lifting, nothing like that. Probably helps that I'm young and healthy as can be.

I do have a little stability issues with my right arm doing a bench press though, but I'm sure that'll go away as I get stronger.

I do have some scar tissue, why should I look for the scar tissue? Just curious, I know that ultrasound and arm massages in physical therapy got rid of a lot of it, but I know some is still there, so I'm just curious as to why I should watch it, doc never said anything, but then again, he's not a weight lifter :P

Big Jake
06-03-2010, 02:57 PM
Never mind, I see now, haha.

My mobility is nearly 100% with my right arm.

The only problems I have is lets say trying to scratch the top of my back with my right arm, doesn't like to bend back that far at the elbow when my right arm is over my shoulder.

As for lifting weights, haven't come across any mobility issues and that I am thankful for!