PDA

View Full Version : Extra Workouts

Clover
06-01-2010, 02:29 PM
Do you do any extra workouts like the ones mentioned in this Article by Louie Simmons?

http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/ls26.htm

More questions:

Have they been beneficial?
Should a novice do them?
What do you include in them?

Thanks for any info, I couldn't find any in a search.

BloodandThunder
06-02-2010, 11:27 AM
Definitely...doesn't matter what type of programming I'm running, pre-meet, post-meet, extra workouts are clutch. The key is to not get carried away and pound away for 2 hours. I like to keep my extra workouts short. The easiest way is to do some BW exercises in the morning or get a few mini bands and you can do 15 minutes of pushdowns, pull aparts, band resisted pushups for upper body recovery and GMs, hamstring curls, pull thrus, and hip abduction/adduction for lower body recovery. All of this leads to better GPP and feeling more refreshed for future workouts. A great way to get extra volume on lagging weaknesses.

Sled work is king IMO...especially if you're beaten up or coming off an injury. Prowler work, sandbag work, KB work, etc are all great for extra workouts, but keep the work to a short time period and don't start off by doing 20 extra workouts a week. Remember, they should aid you, not limit you

AJ Roberts
06-02-2010, 11:47 AM
2-3 times a week. I think it's making a huge difference. The key is to work your weak points and keep the workouts short.

Travis Bell
06-02-2010, 11:51 AM
I'm the same as AJ. I do extra workouts all the time. Usually takes me about 20-30min. They are key to helping me recover from training

That Louie Simmons fella knows what he's doing

tnathletics2b
06-02-2010, 01:00 PM
Haha, it seems Louie was fooled like everyone else...

"On the other hand, it is obvious that Sosa and Mac do extra workouts outside of baseball. Doing so enables them to hit home runs right into October."

I don't think Sammy Sosa and Mark McGwire were getting all those homeruns because of their extra workouts...

IronDiggy
06-02-2010, 01:15 PM
With only 1 day off a week how would someone add in extra workouts? do some light upper body stuff in the morning on a squat/deadlift day and lower body junk on bench days?

Clover
06-02-2010, 01:34 PM
Interesting. I just started doing sled pushes and tire flips a couple weeks ago and I think they are helping me with my squats and deadlifts. I considered them to be more like cardio though rather than an extra workout. My weak point right now(aside from everything) is my chest, so I'm going to add an extra workout for my chest/upperback/shoulders.

Lones Green
06-02-2010, 02:34 PM
I've been doing hamstrings and abs every night, and do triceps and upper back/rear delts about twice a week as suggested by Lou. I feel it really helps me. I'd like to be able to get in a gym so I'd have a few more options for exercises, but my gym is a good ways away so I make due with what I have at home.

NickAus
06-02-2010, 04:19 PM
I do extra work for abs, obliques and upperback.

Work-outs are 10-15 mins 1-3 times per week depending.

vdizenzo
06-02-2010, 07:33 PM
I was doing them a little while back and felt they helped. Now with training 4 days a week with 7 days of cardio, extra workouts are off my radar. I think the thing about extra workouts, gpp, and cardio is that most powerlifters can use extra work. I spent most of my twenties and almost all of my thirties thinking I just needed to lift heavy a few times a week and spend the remainng time resting and eating. Although it may have served a purpose, I feel better now that I keep my body more busy. I wish I had known then what I know now.

gmen5681
06-02-2010, 08:09 PM
i hit the gym 4 times a week and 2 times a week i do some form of GPP let it be sled pull, truck push, sandbag work, sledgehammer workouts just something to get my blood pumping and keep the heart rate up for about 20-30 mins and then i rest 1 day a week. when i deload tho i plan on not doing anything other than just the gym and keeping it real lite and easy.

3whitelights
06-03-2010, 07:37 AM
How are you guys setting up your extra workouts? I've been doing an extra workout for upper body the day after ME upper and the same for lower, but I've also heard of doing them the same day but in the evening. I can do either as I have the stuff for my extra workouts in my basement, so what makes more sense?

bojackson
06-03-2010, 10:04 AM
are you talking bulgarian type extra workouts? or do you mean some active recovery stuff???

3whitelights
06-03-2010, 10:30 AM
are you talking bulgarian type extra workouts? or do you mean some active recovery stuff???

If you're talking to me, I typically do a few movements for any weak bodyparts (abs, delts, traps, hamstrings) and then a few high rep movemens just to get blood into the muscle and hopefully increase long term blood flow (vascularization training or something the like).