PDA

View Full Version : Toughening up hands for deadlifting

Andrew Cohn
06-03-2010, 07:21 AM
Does anyone have any tips on how to toughen up the hands a bit for deadlifting? I've been in the sport 5 years and have never experienced the pain in my hands or grip problems that I am experiencing now. I couldn't even finish last night's training because I couldn't grip the bar by the 5th set. I've got pretty thick calouses so I really have no clue here to go from here. Thanks

Lones Green
06-03-2010, 07:33 AM
I'd try filing your callouses down with a pumice stone if you don't do that already.

I'm working my way through college and work with my hands, so I don't really have that problem. I think something that will really toughen the skin up on your hands is deadlifts with bands. I did some rack pulls with quad mini's yesterday and my hands took a beating. Not to mention they'll increase your deadlift. Farmers walks might be something to look at as well.

detroiter
06-03-2010, 09:01 AM
Masonry work. If you can't find work doing masonry, get two small buckets, fill them with slag (for brick paving), put hands in slag and start squeezing. That might help. Or you could just change your tampon. :cool:

ScottYard
06-03-2010, 09:27 AM
Masonry work. If you can't find work doing masonry, get two small buckets, fill them with slag (for brick paving), put hands in slag and start squeezing. That might help. Or you could just change your tampon. :cool:

LOL.................................

If you cant do that try some barbell holds. I did these to bring up my weak grip and it worked well. I would do 315 double over hand and hold it as long as I could for a few seconds.

I like to do things similar to the movement and this fits the bill to a T.

UHCougar05
06-03-2010, 09:29 AM
Pulling DO until my grip gives, farmers walk, and training with a Rolling Thunder seem have really helped toughen my hands and improve my grip

jtteg_x
06-03-2010, 10:27 AM
I believe the best grip training I get is from Farmers Walk. Not only does it work the **** out of your grip, but the traps too

mastermonster
06-03-2010, 12:15 PM
A while back, Bev McDaniel posted a solution to a similar question. They use rock salt and rice in a big bowl and squeeze it hard into the palms and fingers. Those guys in Texas have a great track record so it must work.

NickAus
06-03-2010, 04:07 PM
Band pulls and shrugs work for me.

robchris
06-03-2010, 06:21 PM
Nothing beats manual labor... I grew up on a farm and had a shovel, hammer, or some similar tool in my hands most of the time.

Short of that, the rice and salt thing does work I'm told.

stik
06-07-2010, 03:18 PM
I stand up and hold the bar on my last rep of my last set for ten seconds (or for as long as I can stand it). Bob Gaynor said that John Kuc used to use that for grip strength. Seems to work alright, but I haven't messexd with farmer's walk and so on very much.

Mark!
06-07-2010, 05:20 PM
My hands have had calouses on them since the day I was born it seems. If they're bad on deadlift day, I'll use the knurling on the bar to file them down, ha.