PDA

View Full Version : Endomorph trying to lose body fat- PWO shake question.

maxlift
06-07-2010, 11:09 AM
I weigh 236 pounds. I'd estimate I'm around 20-25% body fat. I'm trying to lose body fat as my main goal right now. I've been drinking a post workout shake that is around 540 calories (2 scoops ON whey for 240 calories and 1 cup quick oats for 300 calories). My shake comes out to 48 grams protein from the whey and another 11 grams from the oats and about 55 grams of carbs from the oats. I was thinking maybe I should cut this shake in half to lessen the calories or is this not a good idea?

I'm targeting 2200-2400 calories on most days right now and possibly up to 3000 calories but I will add more cardio if I go higher in calories. Honestly it's hard for me to stick to 2200 calories. I get hungry and eventually at night I give in and eat nuts, cheese or something like that which is obviously high calories.

shipdadip
06-07-2010, 01:48 PM
I think it would be a good idea to cut that shake in half and add more water. Yes cheese and nuts are two of the most calorie dense foods you can eat. They're great when bulking! Try eating foods with more water/fiber like some fresh fruits and veggies.

Joe Black
06-07-2010, 02:52 PM
Well, you have to take the calories into account in the grand scheme of things which it sounds as if you're doing.

On a cut, it's important you keep taking a PWO shake but I agree that you could get away with less given your total low calories. Right now I am on 40g protein and 30g carbs post workout (pretty much the profile of Opticen).. It'll give you a bit more scope to eat real food too which becomes important the lower cal you go.

Nuts and cheese whilst reasonably good sources of fat but again snacking on them late at night is going to be your downfall as they are high in calories.

I feel your pain, I am on less than that right now and doing a ton of cardio... I am trying to go from 12.5% bf to sub 10...

How does your diet look right now?

Allen Cress
06-07-2010, 03:34 PM
I was thinking maybe I should cut this shake in half to lessen the calories or is this not a good idea?

I'm targeting 2200-2400 calories on most days right now and possibly up to 3000 calories but I will add more cardio if I go higher in calories. Honestly it's hard for me to stick to 2200 calories. I get hungry and eventually at night I give in and eat nuts, cheese or something like that which is obviously high calories.

The most important thing when the goal is to lose bodyfat is controling calories and balancing them thru the day. Whole food is much better than shakes as well.

You have to understand the process of dropping bodyfat. Hunger is a part of it. Hunger is the body's fat burning signal.

Your outlook on the process and mentality is a huge part of this and you have top realize it is a challenge, but embrace the challenge and dont have the negative mentality most do when trying to get leaner.

Also when you said you would just add more cardio so you can eat more is definitley the wrong outlook. Thats the last reason you should ever add more cardio and more is not better either. People abuse steady state cardio all the time and thats not the solution, its a problem.

WBBIRL
06-07-2010, 04:24 PM
I'd say 55g of carbs is a little steep all in one shot... that's about half (or more) of the total amount of carbs someone might consume on such a calorie range for cutting. Perhaps cut the quick oats in half and just use half a cup.. that way your only dropping 5.5 g of protein but dropping 27.5 grams of carbs.

You should probably go whole foods only on such a calorie range. If you insist on the PWO shake then go straight protein and then get a little carbs elsewhere.

Later on at night when the hunger attacks try this... if you like hard boiled eggs then go ahead and eat two of them. If your still hungry in another half hour eat two more and you should be more then good to go. Thats on average 350 calories for the eggs... and the fat in the eggs will help curb the appetite.