PDA

View Full Version : Advice on ratios needed

St34lth
06-08-2010, 05:09 AM
I have been working out with my previous diet for a bit over a month and, while I was seeing the muscle go up, I felt it was not as quick as Id like and I was not as lean as a previous diet I had with less carbs. So,I decided to change my diet up for lower carbs. The goal of this is a very lean bulk/body recomp. Id guesstimate 15% BF

Me: 170lb, 5' 9", 27yo

Previous Diet: 2400cal / 225 prot / 220 carb / 55 fat

I decided to introduce a change this month and wanted some criticism. I'm reducing the carbs from 220 to 150 and increasing the protein from 225 to 300 while keeping the calories the same. So, that comes out to 1.7g of protein per lb and 0.88g of carbs per pound.

Thoughts?

Will this help me get leaner and provide my muscle quicker?

Thanks in advance

Joe Black
06-09-2010, 02:10 AM
I'm really not 100% sure. 300g protein feels quite high to be honest, have you considered carb cycling? This would enable you to keep them high for training days and lower on non training days - a pretty common technique nowadays amongst people trying to cut or gain weight in a lean fashion.

This is a great article - Carb Rotation - An In-depth Guide to Personalizing Your Diet (http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/carb-rotation-an-in-depth-guide-to-personalizing-your-diet/) explaining it nicely.

Allen Cress
06-09-2010, 03:02 PM
When your goals is to add lean mass you should manipulate either your carbs or fats more so than protein. Remember in a calorie surplus as long as your protein sparing nutrients are high enough then 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight is plenty. By increasing protein and dropping carbs you may tap into your amino acids stores for fuel and that is the last thing you want. Just because you take in more protein doesn't mean you will build more muscle.

I prefer staggering calories with the same ratios when bulking. I find this effectively keeps you from gaining excess fat while bulking and keeps the body from stagnating and adapting to a calorie intake. Like last off season I staggered 4500, 5000, & 6000 calories.

Now this is general as it depends on the individual and how much mass they have, what their metabolic rate is like, etc......