PDA

View Full Version : Post workout carbs

alert20
06-08-2010, 01:06 PM
I usually workout from 7-8 pm take a shake immediately after then protein and carbs (eg chicken sandwich)about an hour later around 9pm. Should I continue having more carbs (with protein) at bedtime(around 11pm)and any recommendations.
I’m currently doing WS4SB and weigh 188lb and wouldn’t mind slowly going to 196lbs.
Should I just add more carbs at breakfast and post workput. Also what about dinner on a workout day -how much carbs.
If anyone else woks out at this time how do you treat carbs on the non-workout days?

Joe Black
06-09-2010, 02:04 AM
Most people tend to get the best results by consuming most of their carbs early in the day (say meal 1 and 2) and then post workout (8pm for you). Don;t eat any at 11pm.

For non workout days I would just consume less carbs (basically omit your post workout carbs) and have them early or evenly spread throughout the day.

Behemoth
06-11-2010, 02:37 PM
Carbs after x time is ludacris. On paper it makes some sense. In reality it all about what is most applicable for you. I also lift late, and will eat carbs at bedtime without thinking twice. In fact 2 years ago when I was pushing some pretty lean bodyfat levels I found I couldn't sleep at night and would end up eating off of my diet because I was tired of laying in bed. Then I started adding a banana immediately before I went to bed every night (which meant removing some carbs from earlier in the day), I fell asleep better, stayed MUCH more consistent, and got to about 6.5% that year. OHHH NOOO HE ATE SUGAR AT BEDTIME!!! Unless you have every last duck in a row and are pushing for stage condition, these minor nuances are made far too big of a deal by most folks. To the point of they make their diet to difficult/complicated/stressful and ultimately less consistent/successful.

NEVER restrict post workout carbs just because the workout was late. Just make sure those carbs fit into your macros that are planned for the day. Not eating them and you're gonna go catabolic real quick, downregulate your metabolism, and make dieting very very hard with very little fatloss.

RebelDogg
06-19-2010, 01:00 PM
Glad to hear that from Behemoth. I've been wondering about this. Everyone always says "no carbs 6 hours before bed." I could never wrap my head around that... I mean you need 'em post work out and those of us that work all day for a living generally work out in the evening or at the very least late afternoon. On top of that, dinner without a carb source is just something I've never known... brown rice, wheat bread, 'taters... something... You're right about that making a diet too difficult or stressful. As overweight as I've been through my life, and having tried and failed to lose weight in the past, I NEED to take off fat. I'm just trying not to buy into what "everyone says." I'm just eating what seems right and I've taken off 40lbs in two months. And I ALWAYS eat carbs within 3-6 hours before bed. Even on non workout days because of my work/sleep schedule.

Skalami
06-19-2010, 07:44 PM
it helps a lot of people as as sort of rule of thumb , carbs at night while youre not doing anything seems like it would get deposited as fat... and when people eat carbs they usually eat too much. It just seems easier if youre workout is in the morning to decrease the carbs as the day goes on, but you lift late and as long as youre on target during the day it wont affect anything.

Holto
06-21-2010, 10:30 AM
If you're lifting heavy you need carbs for 48-72 hrs after lifting. That said I still do support the no carbs after X as a means of cutting overall calories and keeping on track. Steam some veggies and grill some chicken. I'd much rater eat those carbs while at work and I want to keep my brain going.