PDA

View Full Version : truth about quickness

alert20
06-08-2010, 01:39 PM
Has anyone purchased Truth About Quickness program by Kelly Baggett and Alex Maroko?
Is it any good? How does it compare to Kelly's NoBull speed program-I've been looking at the table of contents to this program on kelly's website-does truth about quickness have most of this material?

Travis Bell
06-08-2010, 06:19 PM
Has anyone purchased Truth About Quickness program by Kelly Baggett and Alex Maroko?
Is it any good? How does it compare to Kelly's NoBull speed program-I've been looking at the table of contents to this program on kelly's website-does truth about quickness have most of this material?

I haven't read the whole thing, but the gist of it is pretty basic.

If you get stronger, you'll get faster.

Speed training as a whole is over complicated by so many trainers out there. Most of them just need to take a basic physics class.

Increase force production though is the main point of that program, which to learn that isn't worth $110 or whatever they are selling that for now.

Mercuryblade
06-09-2010, 01:31 PM

Speed training as a whole is over complicated by so many trainers out there. Most of them just need to take a basic physics class.

Increase force production though is the main point of that program, which to learn that isn't worth $110 or whatever they are selling that for now.

This.
Get stronger and get better at running.
No need to overcomplicate things.

cant hit bombz
06-11-2010, 12:29 PM

This smells like a Travis Bell article ....hint hint...wink wink:)

Ruff Riff
06-14-2010, 01:05 PM
I have read most of this book, gave it to my nephew and have not gotten it back (forgot he had it unitl just now, little buger). Lots of "over speed" training stuff in it and talk of Movement efficency? And you don't listen for the gun in a race you ANTICIPATE the gun, if you read the book you will know what I mean. I got this book used online for 20 bucks and it was not a bad book, but if you are a sprinter I don't think a lot of it is easy to translate? Just me though? I sure would not pay 100$ for it!

I have been around some pretty fast guys in my day, more than one sub 10 second hundred meter guys, some sub 45 second quarter mile guys, sub 20 second 200 meter runners and some 60 meter times that are still held as records and all time lists at the indoor Mobile games and Penn relays! Also trained with three high jumpers that jumped over 7'5"! That is one benifit of going to an SEC school! Fast Fast Fast!!!

I will say this (from what I have seen and heard) some guys are just born with some very spacific gifts that help them along the road to speed and quickness faster but we can all get quicker and faster for sure! We may not beat Bolt in a 100 but we can get better!!!!

Travis is exactly right about getting stronger, I have seen sub 10 second hundred guys parellel squat (feet no wider than shoulder width) 405 for reps and do it easy!.. Now that may not sound that impressive until you understand we are talking about guys that don't weigh 190 lbs! And had small muscle mass over all but Hip, glute and ham strength that is unbelievable!!! These are the speed and explosive muscles!

I think the base for speed and quickness is pretty simple in the beginning, you get stronger and you'll get more explosive, but I will say that when anyone reaches a certain level of power some spacific speed training makes pretty good sense (but this takes some time too). For example you can push out of the blocks like a monster (results from getting stronger) and be leading a race for the first 30 yards but if you lack good turnover speed and hip flexability and are unabel to tuck your hips properly you will never translate that power into the "high gear"? Usain Bolt does not blow anyone out of the blocks (although he is solid out of them) but his top speed is outstanding! One small example of the kind of spacific training for a slower turnover would be low grade down hill running to increase your CNS ability to fire quicker to increase your turnover when running at top speed. This is just one example, and the decline does not have to be large at all, most coaches who try this use a decline that only causes chin splints and injury and they use it too frequently.

When I saw the guys around me getting stronger and in direct correlation more explosive I would see the coaches make a switch to taking a look at each individuals running style and where that style had weakness. They would then make some alterations to that sprinters training to work on those spacific "weaknesses"? But they NEVER got away from staying strong and increasing flexability, they would just add some sprint spacific training to what they were already doing? Hope this makes sense!

To add to Travis's point I think too many athletes (especially younger athletes) get into the second phase of speed training which is the "spacific training" before they have spent enough time working on basic strength movements to make the "sprinting Muscles" stronger and as a result more explosive! You can't get faster without getting more explosive! JUST WON'T HAPPEN! Once you get stronger that translates into the next phase of learning to harness that power and make it work effeciently for you! Weak guys won't get to the podium but neither will guys with all the strength in the world who don't know how to run (well they might for a while but not at the elite level)! I would rather coach the kid who is strong and doesn't know how to run cause I can teach form and function pretty quick but the strength thing really takes time and effort. LOL!

Stick to the KISS principle in the beginning of any speed program then grow from there?

Just my 2 cents but hell I'm an old man!!!!!

Good luck!

Travis Bell
06-14-2010, 01:18 PM
This smells like a Travis Bell article ....hint hint...wink wink:)

Sure thing. I'd be more than happy to write up something on speed training. I'm always open to requests

Jay1
06-22-2010, 09:28 PM
Sure thing. I'd be more than happy to write up something on speed training. I'm always open to requests

I'd sure read this one.

joemeglio
07-24-2010, 09:25 AM
To get faster, you need to get stronger. Look at the transition of weak high school athlete who becomes a strong, fast and powerful college athlete. He achieved this through building a solid foundation of strength through learning and performing heavy compound movements. Relative body strength is also important.

I wrote more about this on my blog, check it out http://megliofitness.com/speed-training-for-baseball/