PDA

View Full Version : My review of my performance at APF Senior Nationals.

mastermonster
06-08-2010, 02:27 PM
My review of my performance at APF Seniors and my (valuable) lessons learned!

"You're never too old or to experienced to learn from others!"

I knew I was as well prepared strength wise as I've ever been. Maybe stronger! I was not real confident that I was dialed in with my shirt. I let that lack of confidence get in mt head the last week and changed my opening plan for the bench and did the same with squats. Here's what the day went like.

Original plan was to open at 633-650 (where I'd actually touch in training). The last week out I decided to open at 606 since I'd gotten 600 to within 1/4 inch. (The lack of confidence thing!) Original squat opener was 826.

Squat

Opener - 804 - red lights

This went up stronger than I've ever squatted 804. Bev said I was parrellel. Just a little more would get it. I thought about going up and decided not to leave 804 since it was that close.

Second - 804 - red lights

Again, shot it up like a rocket. I'd took it to what felt like the same point and tried to stay a second or so longer but Bev said it was parellel again.

Third - 804 - Good lift!

Up like a rocket again. Felt plenty strong enough to have squatted 903+ but was glad to get this one in! This time Scot Mendelson and Larry Mistric both gave me the same small adjustment to make and it worked. This will be a huge help in future meets! Thanks guys!

Bench

Opened 606 - miss.

I did everything wrong here. I put the collar way too high because I was so worried about not touching it. I also had my belt real loose to try and let my belly rise up more. Bad move. On the way down the shirt slipped through the loose belt and the collar settled across my throat. I was choking and seeing stars when Garry finally said press and I was so near out that I couldn't push. I remember trying to say get it and nothing coming out. A second or so later they realised I was choked out and got it off of me.

Second 633 - dumped it on my belly. No lift.

Remembering how not going up almost bombed me on squats, I went ahead and went to 633. But I over-compensated with the collar and had it too low. Tried to roll the wrist down when it froze up and it dumped.

Third - 633 - pushed it up solid - red lights. I'm out.

Scot Mendelson gave me a tip to try if the shirt locked up a little short. He watched me come down and when it locked just short he yelled for me to do it. It worked like a charm! I pushed it up good and held it there and finally said " It's there, It's locked. That's as far as it goes". I'm not sure if he said take it or rack it, but when I sat up I heard the announcer say no lift. I looked to the side (I think Mikes side and he said " it went up and back down at the top. Garry later told me he thought my right elbow never locked out. If they said I did it I'm sure I did. They are the best judges out there. The judging was very tight but very consistant; as it should be at Nationals.

Summary:

I was very disappointed to bomb but at the same time very excited about the tips I got from Scot and Larry! These will definately be of great value in training and future meets.

It was a well run meet by Amy and Kierran! I'll take a week off and get back at it next week.

Brian Hopper
06-09-2010, 08:21 AM
Damn, i'm sorry to hear you had a bad day. But all you can do is learn from those mistakes and comeback stronger!!!

Beverly McD.
06-09-2010, 12:43 PM
Sorry it didn't go like you planned Buddy. Rest up, heal up and then hit the gym. :)

BloodandThunder
06-09-2010, 02:31 PM
Solid Effort and good attitude about having a bad day...went through the same thing earlier this year. Only adds more fuel to the fire

mastermonster
06-09-2010, 03:43 PM
Thanks everybody. I'll be back even better I'm sure now. I hate bombing out. But I actually feel better about where my future lies in knowing that at 54, I came in stronger than I've ever been. What I let do me in was being paranoid about opening with meet PRs in the squat and bench. I'd been having success with much higher weight than I opened with. 850 was an easy squat 2 weeks out, and I'd been touching and pressing 635 - 675. I let myself convince me to open with lighter weights that were just too light to function in (touching and hitting depth comfortably) with the gear I was wearing. What I've got to do is quit thinking like I'm 54 and worrying when I'll be over the hill, and think like I'm 29 and enjoy the fact that I'm still climbing the hill. I'll spend the rest of this week getting this 'old man' Sh** out of my mind set and then start back crazier, wilder and YOUNGER in the gym and start going for broke again at the next one in Sept! If I bomb out again it will be because the weight was too heavy; not because it was too light!

Ryano
06-10-2010, 05:52 AM
Hang in there Buddy. I always have planned attempts as I go into a meet. Most of the time, it works, but sometimes NOT. I have never done well when I open with a meet PR. NEVER. Even when I was crushing that weight in the gym. I think opening with lighter weight in looser gear is better than opening with a PR in tight gear. After bombing two meets in a row(opening with a PR) I finally had a good meet opening real light. I didn't hit a PR at the last meet, but had respectable numbers anyway. I turn 55 in a couple of months and expect a PR at my next meet, as always. Good luck at your next one.

mastermonster
06-10-2010, 01:13 PM
Thanks Roger!

robchris
06-10-2010, 06:43 PM
Buddy,

Been there, done that bro... I think we've all bombed at some point in time.

I'm sure you'll come back better and stronger the next time out and hit a PR!
RC

mastermonster
06-10-2010, 09:49 PM
Thanks Rob! I'll go for it again in 13 weeks at the APF Georgia. Then the APF Mississippi. I'll train kinda' laid back and relaxed for the next 3 weeks and start kickin' it at 10 weeks out.

J Stottlemire
06-12-2010, 04:57 AM
What was the tip in touching that Scott shared with you bro, I am eager to hear it, best of luck in your next meet.

mastermonster
06-13-2010, 08:52 PM
What was the tip in touching that Scott shared with you bro, I am eager to hear it, best of luck in your next meet.

I don't think Scot would mind me saying here since he was yelling out for me to do it on the 3rd attempt. Believe it or not it was to let some of my air out if the shirt locked up short of touching. He said don't do it if it's still coming down; only if it stops. When it stopped just short Scot yelled let some air out. I did and it dropped right down and went right back up. I just fouled up something at the lockout point.

Brian Hopper
06-13-2010, 09:28 PM
That's pretty interesting. You didn't lose tightness at all when you let your air out?

mastermonster
06-13-2010, 10:32 PM
That's pretty interesting. You didn't lose tightness at all when you let your air out?

Hey Brian! It goes against everything I've ever been taught or that I've taught. You just let out a little, not much. Letting a little out under control I still felt good and tight. Send me a PM and I'll try and explain the reason Scot told me it works.