PDA

View Full Version : Clean Bulk Help to gain lean mass with little fat along the way

richjohn19
06-08-2010, 02:49 PM
This is my first post guys to bare with me.

ive always been self conscious about my weight. I was always chubby when growing up until the end of 2008 when i decided to get serious about losing some body fat. I was 5'9 190lbs then in 2009 i maintained to drop down to 150lbs body fat probably below 6%. Since then my nutrition has been yo yoing since the long term dieting affects. Unhealthy eating then starvation diets to drop back down. It was until recently when I got back on track with dieting but now, at a lower weight than 2009, I know i need to gain weight back. So i decided to bulk up but i want to do it cleanly. I KNOW that with bulking come some fat along the way (i got over it and accepted it) had fear of gaining weight since i worked so hard to get it off. Just some advice on what to do, what to eat and how much. I must work my way up to eating more because i am not used to it and i get full very easily.

Current diet now (or what im building up to, i used to eat less)

morning 2 hours before work outs: 1/2 of oatmeal with 1/4 cup egg whites and 1 whole egg
post workout: Protein shake
Post Workout meal: turkey of chicken wrap homemade with a lot of spinach
snack: protein bar
Dinner: Medium to large spinach or romaine salad with 3-4oz chicken breast
sometimes before bed: 1 scoop of casein protein powder

I know this is a small amount of food but my body isnt used to eating that much anymore so im trying to build up to it. I know i need more veggies, fruits, carbs, and fats. Just need help with the diet as in terms to building up to eat more where my stomach doesnt feel so bloated.

switched workouts to 3 days a week rather than 6, heard you need more rest to grow
I do full body each time with various exercises.

any advice or help would be appreciated.

richjohn19
06-08-2010, 08:06 PM
Anyone? Help is needed

Joe Black
06-09-2010, 02:01 AM
To be honest if you know how to get lean, a clean bulk diet should just be slowly raising the calories and a reduction of activity.

Most people end a cut on very low calories and a decent amount of cardio. For example right now I am on anything between 1,500 and 1,800 calories and very low carb with 5:00 cardio per week.

When I go onto a lean bulk diet, I'll probably cut the cardio down to 1:30 in total (2 x 45 min sessions) and increase my calories 500 or so (mostly with carbs and a bit of fat) and go from there. If it doesn;t do the job, just increase calories and take away a cardio session.

I have someone managing my diet and cardio so it won;t really be my decision lol, but this is probably what I would do it it were my call.

Check out this article too on lean gaining - BodyBuilding Principles with Shelby Starnes Vol. 2 - Lean Gain Edition (http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/bodybuilding-principles-with-shelby-starnes-vol-2-lean-gain-edition/)

My main advice would be to err on the side of caution. Reduce activity and up calories slowly till you find the rate which works for you and definately make sure you get the right rest to recover.

richjohn19
06-09-2010, 07:51 AM
thanks for the info. Yeah i did drop my cardio sessions down because i knew i had to. Im now just trying to find that sweet spot for my maintenance calories then up it from there VERY slowly so i dont get full to the point where i cant eat my next scheduled meal.