PDA

View Full Version : The importance of water?

Saltrock
04-25-2001, 07:20 AM
Ive hears when body building (especially when taking creatine) a lot of water needs to be consumed per day.
Ive seen guys post about trying to drink a gallon a day!

Is that too much?
If your taking suppluments (whey, weight gainers, shakes) wont all this water fluch it out of your system quicker without getting absorbed properly?

I drink about 1.5 litres a day, is that enough and will it impede my gains?!?

Thanx

alptraum
04-25-2001, 09:13 AM
No a gallon is not too much. I find it easiest if you get a gallon jug that way you know how much you have drank/have to go throughout the day. Drink it throughout the course of the day instead of drinking alot at increments, that way your body uses it rather than flushing it out. You will have to go the bathroom alot more often(duh). It won't flush the supplements out of your body, and drinking a gallon or more is what is recommended when using creatine to keep it from collecting in your liver and also to improve the cell volumizing effect.

gino
04-25-2001, 09:18 AM
Hydration is very important to muscle cells and the entire body. Hydration increases the efficiency and effectiveness of nearly all bodily functions from fat burning to transportation of nutrients into muscle cells and waste from the body. I drink nearly 3 gallons a day, rarely less than 2. I drank 1.5 liters between 8 and 11 this morning. I'd suggest everyone drink at least a gallon a day - it really makes your entire body feel better.

The_Chicken_Daddy
04-25-2001, 09:27 AM
Protein needs to be broken down into amino acids so they can pass through the stomach lining. To do this the protein needs to be hydrolysed through hydrolysis ('hydro' - water, 'lysis' - breakdown = breakdown with water) There for by drinking water you can increase the absorbtion of protein.

Red C
04-25-2001, 09:36 AM
How many pints in a gallon anyone?

Franco
04-25-2001, 11:12 AM
There are 8 pints in a gallon:)

Leviathan
04-25-2001, 04:45 PM
I end up getting down about 3.75 pints of water (3 bottles full) during my workout. I have a glass of OJ and milk with breakfast, two glasses of milk with lunch, and a glass of OJ and milk with dinner. Add that to the 1.5 pints I drink with protein supplements and you get about 10 pints/day. It isn't hard to get down a gallon of liquids in a day, especially when you exercise.

Alex.V
04-25-2001, 04:58 PM
No kidding. 2 pints when i wake up, 2 pints during workout, 2 pints afterwards plus 2 pints in my shake, 2 pints with dinner, 1 pint before bed.

Almost 1.5 gallons.

Chris Rodgers
04-25-2001, 08:11 PM
Leviathon- You really shouldn't count your other liquids when determining your water intake. Only pure water.

I drink anywhere from 1.5-2.5 gallons per day. Usually closer to 2 gallons.

Alex.V
04-25-2001, 08:18 PM
Not sure I'd agree, Latman. Milk is 95% water. Do you not count a glass of water during lunch because you eat a can of tuna at the same time?

;)

just don't use milk or OJ if you're just thirsty or trying to get some more fluids, since they've got other stuff in them.

Chris Rodgers
04-25-2001, 08:23 PM
I'm not saying anything is wrong with drinking those things(I personally don't), I'm just saying if you want to calculate your water intake you should only choose pure water. I know plenty of others will agree with me when they read this. Hell, I learned this from most of them back in the day.

If someone wants to drink 1-2 gallons of milk per day to get their water, well that's their choice. I don't think it is the same.tuttut

Leviathan
04-26-2001, 11:44 AM
If you go back and see how I added everything up you'll see that I take the fact that it isn't pure water into consideration. 10 pints/day was a lower end estimate if you add everything up that I stated. I also didn't mention miscellaneous times I might consume liquids at other times during the day (before bed & between meals).

The point of my post was that 1 gallon per day is an easy feat.