PDA

View Full Version : What are your best tricks for consistency?

Joe Black
06-10-2010, 12:43 AM
We all (should) know that our diet plays probably the biggest factor in how quickly we can either pack on muscle or get lean and therefore consistency is likely to be our biggest downfall (it is for me).

What are your best tricks for being consistant and staying the course?

During my cut, my biggest problem is not letting one bad day turn into 5 lol. I've done it plenty of times and it always sets me back a good couple of weeks.

My only trick for this so far is when I slip for a few meals or a day is to remind myself of how I felt on the 4th or 5th day last time when I knew I had 2 weeks worth of hard dieting to pull it back to just where I was and to also remind myself of how good it feels to have several days of consistency behind me and then I make all my meals for 2-3 days that evening and this normally can divert me from going on a 4 day eating spree.

How do you guys find the will power to string together large bouts of consistency?

Behemoth
06-11-2010, 02:33 PM
If I'm idle I'm far more likely to slip. So I always have something planned to do. Fortunately working out, cardio and prepping food keeps me mad busy.

As far as falling off the wagon, you gotta get back on ASAP, IMO. Catching yourself within a few hours you can be fine. Let it go a day and you're setback. Let that day turn in to multiple and you can easily waste weeks of dieting in fractions of the time. If I fall off I do something to get my mental state back in the game. Usually unscheduled cardio. You have to mentally feel like you've made up for it to switch gears back to forward IMO. The easiest day to cheat is the one following a day you did cheat. Turn the next day around at all costs and you can be back in the game like you've been going for 3 months strong.

Joe Black
06-12-2010, 01:15 AM
great advice B, a skipped meal can so easily turn into a 3 day binge for me, so catching yourself really quick is the key getting in and doing some unscheduled cardio sounds a good idea!

Mark!
06-12-2010, 01:32 AM
I've leared recently, like B said, if I catch myself through one meal, I'm good to go, but it's that second meal, and other junk that really hurts in the end. I also believe strongly in learned repetitions when it comes to this lifestyle. I used to struggle, but now, I know what I can eat, and what I cannot eat. At first, I struggled. I wanted ice cream, I wanted other sweets, I wanted carb foods!!!!!!!! Will power...sticking to the plan, seeing a constant decline on the scale, seeing results in the gym, and in the mirror help feed the fire. It's what we do day in, day out, that determines our success. You're not born with will power, that's good news for everyone. It's something you pick up along the way, however, sadly it's something not too many people care to possess anymore it seems. They all want quick, overnight, 6 minute abs, and ultimate overnight changes, I blame marketing for this mess. We all know consistency is the one thing that no matter how hard you work in the gym, you have to have in your diet. Find something to do to occupy your time, or find a light snack, for me (and my dogs) pork rines. 0 carbs, light, good food. Plus, the fact that my dogs love them helps, they eat half a bag, keeps me eating less.

ThomasG
06-12-2010, 04:55 AM
I weigh/measure and document every little thing. Helps me stay accountable to myself. IMO once you stay consistent for a month cutting isnt so bad cause of the results being strict/dedicated brings and just like most things in life it becomes habitual. BRB going to eat my oats and splenda :)